Cant video call

Search This thread

adie1234

Jun 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20
Having issues with the s5...it wont video call any other samsung phone.its says they cant recive video calls...even an s4 .any idea how to solve this thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

David111jr

Feb 5, 2011
No app just the regular Samsung dialer

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

So I found this in another forum.
Posted by @jayed eyed wolf

The reason this doesn't work over here in America is that essentially, way back in 2003 or 2004, when the rest of the world was well on their way to rolling out the then new UMTS (aka 3G) standard, part of that included a sub-layer protocol integrated into it's data services that allowed for QoS. Basically, bandwidth priority for video calls. Yes, people over there were making full fledged video calls on their cells phones, 8 years ago, with no WiFi needed. True story. (And Steve Jobs made it sound like FaceTime was something "new" and "revolutionary..." Heh, bite my metallic Android @$$!)

Anyway, long story short, Cingular/AT&T Wireless, for whatever reason or another, never decided to implement the protocol stack necessary to make video calls over UMTS. I know they briefly experimented with instant video messaging (where you could be on a call, take a video, and then send it as a message), but supposedly that never caught on. THEN, when video calling really might have caught on, they still had an exclusive deal with Apple, and of course it wouldn't have been in Apple's best interest if every phone could make and receive video calls... I mean, what would be so special about FaceTime then? Nothing...

Finally, today, AT&T still hasn't implemented video calling. Why? Who knows... They'll probably spin the whole "spectrum shortage" spiel as an excuse for not implementing a standard which has been available to the rest of the world for nearly a decade...

Then again, maybe they'll roll out this feature once they've rolled out LTE--wait a second... Chuck Testa is calling... :p

adie1234

Jun 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20
Ive got uk g900f trying to call with stock dialer n it says the other phone doesnt support video calls even tho its another s5

lingowistico

Jan 4, 2013
Stockholm
goo.gl
Ive got uk g900f trying to call with stock dialer n it says the other phone doesnt support video calls even tho its another s5

You probably don't have video calling activated with your operator or they don't support it.

I flashed the international rom

Your operator doesn't support phone to phone video calling. No US operator supports it afaik. :(