[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] Back Atcha Verizon-- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux

Search This thread

gnex0422

Apr 15, 2012
Vt
Re: Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13

Unlocked and rooted last nite with your method, all went great thanks for all the hard work you put into it very much appreciated!!

Sent from my SCH-I605

UTbone04

Sep 24, 2010
Austin, TX
I was pure stock right out of the box. It came out rooted. It installed SuperSu.

Update: I guess I misunderstood your question. Duhh!! Yeah you're right. It doesn't say anything about being rooted or not.

Update 2: Wait a minute. If you're rooted on VRALJB you don't need this. Just don't get the VRALL4 update. If you already have it you're unrooted aren't you?

Update 3: I'm so confused!?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I rooted with VRALJB. I did not accept the recent update. Now I just want to unlock my phone. Am I able to unlock my phone using this method, or do I need to unroot first, and then apply this method? I assume I should be able to but the fact that he says STOCK only confuses me a little bit.

wildstang83

Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Oct 14, 2010
Nowheresville
xdaforums.com
Adam, sorry to go off topic. I wanted to pm you but you have that disabled. Anyway, I was looking at your signature banner and noticed my crest. Ordnance Corps. I did 10 years before getting medical retirement for a combat related back injury. Thanks for your service also. As me and my crew used to say GO ORDNANCE!

TeMpTeK

May 21, 2009
Sorry, New link http://d-h.st/Wyo My bad.. tried to get away with the old odin. We need a new one. Flash this with Odin.

Thanks for your hard work and all you do but I would like to recommend adding a caveat to the beginning of this thread for all the windows users who have no trouble flashing the baseline file but everything fails when they try the backatcha file.. The errors I was having with backatcha were it would either crash Odin and force close/ or get the red fail indicator in Odin or it would just hang at NAND Write Start!!.. I had all of these three issues while attempting to reroot after the verizon OTA update.. I went thru 30 pages of this thread and spent hrs trying everyone recs from changing the cable to updating java to trying older versions of Odin yadda yadda.. None of that works

The only thing that worked for me was to flash back to Root66 stock VRALJB 4.1.1 12/2/12- http://androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390210501348163619 via these instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207

This Rom brought me back to stock + Root.. I then downloaded the VZ OTA security update which breaks root... I then followed the Windows video instructions at the beginning of this thread and I had no trouble flashing the Backatcha file.. Everything worked perfectly...
Please make mention for windows users to flash to route 66 if they encounter any of these problems..
Thanks Again for all your android awesomeness
TeMpTeK

Reactions: jbshibla

mzimand

Jan 29, 2010
I am hoping someone here can help me out. I have a phone that had the boot loader unlocked and I had a bad ROM flash in TWRP and am trying to Odin back to anything that will work.

I cannot currently get into recovery after a "Pass" an Odin flash. I have successfully been able to flash an odin file but when I try to get into recovery after I get the Odin "PASS" I just get the Samsung Splash screen flashing every 3 seconds. It is not the screen that says "Samsung" in the center. It is the one that says "Samsung GALAXY NOTE 2".

I have tried all of the "Back to stock" Guides and I get the same result every time. I get the "PASS" in Odin and then am not able to boot into recovery or start the phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I always thought that if you could get into download mode that you can fix the phone but so far I have not had any luck

strikeir13

Oct 23, 2010
I mean, come on... does it get any easier than this???? Just incredible work. Thanks a ton, guys. Donated: "Confirmation number: 45318877HL7422825"

Thanks a lot guys!

rk_house

Apr 15, 2011
casual scripting error?

Awesome!

Guys, If you have a problem, I need the log from CASUAL under About>Show Log>Copy log to clipboard. If you can paste it in here, that's the best way. but use
Code:
 tags to keep it clean![/QUOTE]

Selected file/tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/SCRIPTS/WindowsLinux Galaxy Note 2 Jailbreak
Lines in Script 88
Reading datastreamjava.io.DataInputStream@3d5243ff
new command: 
new command: $USERCANCELOPTION Are you sure?, This is your only warning.\n You will be Unlocked and Rooted. Your device will\n reboot once and then again into Odin mode.  You\n will then flash the Suck It Verizon Odin Bootloader\n package.,
SCRIPT COMMAND:$USERCANCELOPTION Are you sure?, This is your only warning.\n You will be Unlocked and Rooted. Your device will\n reboot once and then again into Odin mode.  You\n will then flash the Suck It Verizon Odin Bootloader\n package.,
COMMAND processed - /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/adb  Are you sure?, This is your only warning.
 You will be Unlocked and Rooted. Your device will
 reboot once and then again into Odin mode.  You
 will then flash the Suck It Verizon Odin Bootloader
 package.,
new command: $ECHO Rebooting into download mode
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ECHO Rebooting into download mode
Received ECHO command$ECHO Rebooting into download mode
Rebooting into download mode
new command: 
new command: $ADB reboot download
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ADB reboot download

###executing: /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/adb###
COMMAND processed - /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/adb reboot download
new command: $WINDOWS $GOTO #gotoWINDOWS
new command: 
new command: $MAC $HALT $ECHO this is inoperative until we get someone to package a .deb file. 
new command: $LINUX $HEIMDALL flash --8 "$ZIPFILEboot.img"
Removed $LINUX
OS IS LINUX! remaining commands:$HEIMDALL flash --8 "$ZIPFILEboot.img"
SCRIPT COMMAND:$HEIMDALL flash --8 "$ZIPFILEboot.img"
Expanded $ZIPFILE: $HEIMDALL flash --8 "/tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/WindowsLinux Galaxy Note 2 Jailbreak/boot.img"

###executing: dpkg###

###executing: arch###
Attempting to write /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/heimdallStage
File verified.
Setting executable /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/heimdallStage. Result=true

###executing: which###
Write Finished
Setting executable /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/ElevateScript.sh. Result=true
###Elevating Command: dpkg -i /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/heimdallStage  ###

###executing: gksudo###
CASUAL SCRIPTING ERROR: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""For input string: ""For input string: ""
Controls Enabled status: true
State Change Detected, The new state is: 0
State Disconnected
Controls Enabled status: false

Reactions: soba49

soba49

Nov 6, 2010
boston, ma
ok i cant even get the damn casual file to open. and yes i do have java
What's with the bad language and sense of entitlement?
Code:
sudo java -jar path_to_casual.jar

That'll run the script. But if you have this much confusion, frustration, impatience, and especially anger at this early stage, I can't recommend rooting for you. This phone is still spectacular stock.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

I have tried all of the "Back to stock" Guides and I get the same result every time. I get the "PASS" in Odin and then am not able to boot into recovery or start the phone.
I'm no moderator but wouldn't you be better served in the appropriate "back to stock" thread?

Two guesses.
1. You seem to be using "recovery" interchangeably with download mode. There's a big distinction. As I'm sure you've read, you want download mode to flash with Odin or heimdall - power the phone off, plug it in, 3 button salute while powering up until you see the scary green guy urging you to never turn your phone off again.
Note: if you've done a back to stock, you probably wiped your TWRP or any other recovery. What you need is to get the phone to boot regularly, plug it in, and get casual / Odin / etc. to recognize it.
2. Most good back to stock processes include an automatic data wipe. But since it sounds like you're hanging at boots, maybe yours didn't. However if you don't have download mode/Odin to flash an image to overwrite it, nor recovery to do the data/dalvik wipes directly, there is nothing you can do at this stage without a successful usb odin/heimdall flash.

Reactions: dangerou

bigdade

Apr 13, 2010
Lol sorry about the rant i just have been trying this thing for 4 hours and nothing. Ive been installing and reinstalling stuff just gets very frustrating. Also Im not on Linux.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

I am rooted as of now though. I just cant unlock the bootloader and install custom rooms, which is why you root in the first place :)

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Selected file/tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/SCRIPTS/WindowsLinux Galaxy Note 2 Jailbreak
Lines in Script 88
Reading datastreamjava.io.DataInputStream@3d5243ff
new command:
new command: $USERCANCELOPTION Are you sure?, This is your only warning.\n You will be Unlocked and Rooted. Your device will\n reboot once and then again into Odin mode. You\n will then flash the Suck It Verizon Odin Bootloader\n package.,
SCRIPT COMMAND:$USERCANCELOPTION Are you sure?, This is your only warning.\n You will be Unlocked and Rooted. Your device will\n reboot once and then again into Odin mode. You\n will then flash the Suck It Verizon Odin Bootloader\n package.,
COMMAND processed - /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/adb Are you sure?, This is your only warning.
You will be Unlocked and Rooted. Your device will
reboot once and then again into Odin mode. You
will then flash the Suck It Verizon Odin Bootloader
package.,
new command: $ECHO Rebooting into download mode
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ECHO Rebooting into download mode
Received ECHO command$ECHO Rebooting into download mode
Rebooting into download mode
new command:
new command: $ADB reboot download
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ADB reboot download

###executing: /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/adb###
COMMAND processed - /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/adb reboot download
new command: $WINDOWS $GOTO #gotoWINDOWS
new command:
new command: $MAC $HALT $ECHO this is inoperative until we get someone to package a .deb file.
new command: $LINUX $HEIMDALL flash --8 "$ZIPFILEboot.img"
Removed $LINUX
OS IS LINUX! remaining commands:$HEIMDALL flash --8 "$ZIPFILEboot.img"
SCRIPT COMMAND:$HEIMDALL flash --8 "$ZIPFILEboot.img"
Expanded $ZIPFILE: $HEIMDALL flash --8 "/tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/WindowsLinux Galaxy Note 2 Jailbreak/boot.img"

###executing: dpkg###

###executing: arch###
Attempting to write /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/heimdallStage
File verified.
Setting executable /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/heimdallStage. Result=true

###executing: which###
Write Finished
Setting executable /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/ElevateScript.sh. Result=true
###Elevating Command: dpkg -i /tmp/rk_houseTEMPCASUALF23D19F4/heimdallStage ###

###executing: gksudo###
CASUAL SCRIPTING ERROR: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""For input string: ""For input string: ""
Controls Enabled status: true
State Change Detected, The new state is: 0
State Disconnected
Controls Enabled status: false
Do you have gksudo on your computer? what is the distro of Linux?

Lol sorry about the rant i just have been trying this thing for 4 hours and nothing. Ive been installing and reinstalling stuff just gets very frustrating. Also Im not on Linux.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

I am rooted as of now though. I just cant unlock the bootloader and install custom rooms, which is why you root in the first place :)

You haven't provided a log.

spoiler1041

Jul 6, 2011
exynosabuse exploit

Is it smart and safe to run the exynosabuse exploit after doing this root and unlock process to block the hole on a JB baseband?

Last edited:

rk_house

Apr 15, 2011
Do you have gksudo on your computer? what is the distro of Linux? /QUOTE]

First of all thanks for your efforts! I managed to use casual with no problems on a windows laptop.

1) gksudo is in /usr/bin and I was able to execute it from a shell.

$ which gksudo
/usr/bin/gksudo

2) I'm running Linux Mint 12 (lisa) Gnome 64bit.

$ uname -a
Linux AVAdirect 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:56:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: new version available here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066.

FIRST!!! First jailbreak under the new 2012 DMCA Excemption that is. First "Android Jailbreak" ever... Gah that name erks me... Anyway, You’re here to legally Jailbreak your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

Introduction
    CASUAL will guide you through the process. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. This is not only the first release of this new Exploit, but it’s also a beta-test of CASUAL. I expect problems... however this will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

We decided to start a new thread becasue the old unlock method is tried and true on Windows with VRALJB. This method is based on a totally new exploit.

Overview
    You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. If Microsoft VC Redistributable is required, click next, next, next. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
    Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
    CASUAL(R465b) Back Atcha Verizon CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Jailbreak video for Windows users only!
    This video desmonstrates CASUAL used with Odin to flash the Galaxy Note 2 firmware Thanks to DroidModderX.

Jailbreak video for LINUX only!
    This video demonstrates the one-click CASUAL Linux Unlock method... at 2AM.. so don't expect me to be cheerful.

About CASUAL
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Updates
    CASUAL provides updates WAAAAY quicker than Verizon. As soon as I push an update to the Subversion repo it appears automatically in EVERY casual. See below for the change log.
    25JAN13: Initial release.
    25JAN13: put your device into download mode automatically on Windows. Windows users, let me know if this is annoying. -auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: Instruct Windows users to install the proper bootloader -- auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: more concise directions --auto CASUAL update
    7MAR13: Initiated beta test of one-click operation on all platforms!
    17MAR13: Cross-platform Heimdall is now in effect with CASUAL R311b
    20MAR13: Removed mac blocker from script --auto CASUAL update.
    6APR13: kill-switch activated as most of repository has been restructured and drivers/dependencies will not be deployed. This will be resolved soon with a new version.
    7APR13: New version includes better driver support via jrloper's CADI and on-the-fly updates for drivers and more. 32/64bit Heimdall for Mac is now supported. Several irrelevant command line features were added as well.
    18APR13: CASUAL R417 Several fixes with improved logging and pastebin support thanks to jrloper
    2May13: killswitch for old versions implemented.
    Ironically I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole used this time had they not added the blacklisting of the old versions. Looking at the code for that gave me a push in the right direction
    Troubleshooting
    70% of problems with CASUAL involve USB cables and USB ports. All other problems can be tracked back to Windows XP.

CASUAL Stops and my phone is in Odin Mode/Download Mode
    Use a different USB cable and a different USB port. Personally, I have two USB cables which work for everything and anything but they fail when it comes to Odin/Download Mode.

CASUAL displays Disconnected and won't let me press the button
    Put your device into ADB mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

CASUAL is not working and it's not something above
    Did you install drivers? If you installed drivers, you need to uninstall and delete them. You don't need them because Windows installs them. Actually, they're poisonous, and some drivers install themselves with a future date which causes them to be un-upgradable. This means, you've shot yourself in the foot. You can run Samsung Kies and do the troubleshoot connection wizard, or you can go to device manager and uninstall the driver + delete driver.

CASUAL is not working and I'm absolutely sure it's not a driver issue
    1. Let everything sit for a bit. CASUAL will generally pop up a troubleshooting message.
    2. If you're sure nothing has happened for the last 3 minutes, disconnect the USB and restart the device normally.
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Try again using a new stock USB cable, on a different USB port, preferably located in the back of the computer.

I just want to annoy you
    First grab a hammer and go outside into the back yard and hit yourself repeatedly in the head. If you do not have a hammer, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a yard, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a head, mission accomplished.
    You probly caught it in the middle of a commit. try this: http://d-h.st/6c6

This is CASUAL Revision 311. This includes quicker startup, a full Open Source stack of software, no Odin, auto-downloads, auto-executes, and it works on Windows and Linux. For Windows you have Drivers and MSRedist (both installed by CASUAL), this is a one-click procedure. We are working on making it easier by the day and expect the next release to be even easier. For now, the driver requires you to select "Gadget Serial" and hit install.

I will bump this up to the first thread now because I've already tested on Window and Linux. Droid Modder X said he would have a video out soon.
    there no way to unlock boot loader on odin another way ?
    Please stand by. I expect to have everything working again today. The purpose of the down-time is to ensure there will be no Downtime in the future. I'm working on it now...

Basically, its down because jrloper and myself are reworking and upgrading. the CASUAL repository system. It will soon be infinitely expandable and able to pull resources from anywhere.

An unfortunate side-effect of this is Quality Control takes a bit of time.. as we test, its getting better, faster, accommodating for more errors, performing more troubleshooting, becoming safer and even accounting for errors in data transfer across the internet.

Its almost ready.