Happy with the 720p screen?

Are you happy with the Moto X screen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
I've seen a couple of articles talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5, which is rumored to have a QHD 2k screen ( 2560 x 1440).

Just curious what others thought. Personally, I went from the HTC Rezound (which was also a 720p screen, but smaller at 4.3", so a higher PPI) to the Moto X, but I love the Moto X screen. I honestly can't imagine having a screen that's any sharper. I almost don't want a higer-rez screen, since it would probably just be a waste of battery power.

I'm sure there are some folks who are spec-oriented, but I feel all of the trade-offs made by the Moto X (720p screen, dual core, etc) were exactly right. Great screen, great battery, responsive UI, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheCorchete

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
The newer SOCs well be more efficient, it won't have issues delivering fast performance for 1080p while getting good battery if well optimized, especially if reduced to dual core like the MotoX.

The MotoX screen have RGB matrix so it would have more subpixels than a Pentile and Diamond matrix AMOLED screen of the same resolution.

sent via tapatalk

sman789

Jul 25, 2010
I switched from the HTC One which had the most amazing screen. The Moto X is fine by all means though, it's vibrant and clear and 720P is more than adequate. I think I'm a sucker for AMOLED as well, the blackest of blacks, I'll never go backs. I've owned a GNex and a Note 1 and I feel this AMOLED is calibrated very well. Not quite as cartoony looking as my brother's Note 3.

Reactions: CheCorchete

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
The screen is 4.x" diagonally. If you can see a difference between 720p and 1080p, you need to take off your magnifying glasses and move the phone away from your face. While I'm all about bigger and better specs, a 2k res screen on a phone isn't necessary.

Reactions: wctaylor79
D

Darth

Yes. Samsung can make a millionp screen and I still wouldn't touch them. Lol

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
The Moto X was engineered to be the best balance of hardware/screen/size/battery etc available. To that end the 720p screen is perfect. When the same balance can be achieved with a higher resolution screen then I will want it.

You will notice this is very similar to how Apple engineers a phone, no hardware is included that isn't optimized and balanced. They don't force a feature into the phone for the sake of marketing that really hurts the overall product balance.

Reactions: BPinard

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
The MotoX screen is fine but not as good as other Android like S4. I am happy with battery life and screen on time though so its a trade off.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
The MotoX screen is fine but not as good as other Android like S4. I am happy with battery life and screen on time though so its a trade off.

My only reference is my GS3 and the screen on the X is every bit as nice.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

D

Darth

Ya know if the Moto x had a 1080 screen....battery wouldn't be as good. Personally I'll take the extra battery life. Screen looks good to me. :)

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

boss.

Oct 27, 2013
I have the note 3 and honestly, the difference between the 1080p screen of the Note 3 isn't that much better than the 720p screen of the Moto X. They are both very sharp and as was stated above, I would rather the increased battery life than the sharper display. But in all fairness, I'm no pixel junkie so the 720p screen doesn't bother me at all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011
The only reason I was even remotely interested in the Moto X was because it carried an HD display-size: was AMOLED and was RGB-like matrix. The rest like usability and one-handed nature was icing on the cake. A FHD display is stupid and impractical for most common cases: the rare exception for me is reading textbooks and other small-font paragraphs: in which case, you're using the wrong tool for the task. Get a tablet or the 5.5"+ displays. The only other phone with a similar display is the Note 2 and that phone completely contradicts what makes the Moto X attractive.

However though, food for thought, anyone looking for a backup phone should consider a Note 2.

Last edited:

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Yes, because I can't see the difference between this and a 1080p on a screen of this size (and probably neither can you).

droib

Feb 8, 2011
I've never had a 1080p screen but I can't imagine anything being noticeably sharper than the Moto X's. That aside, the vast majority of the time you're not thinking about whether or not you can see traces of pixels when staring at the thing, you're just using it to actually do things and in that context brightness, color balance/saturation, and contrast are what you actually notice. All of those are great on the Moto, now every LCD screen I see looks washed-out to me!

Until batteries get a whole lot better, I don't see the point in 1080p for anything less than a 5" screen. It's like buying a 40" 4K TV... Just an opinion of course!

Reactions: DogzOfWar

Butchr

Apr 22, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
These resolution comparisons on screens smaller than five inches are getting ridiculous. 720 or 1080 really makes no difference on a screen this small. Unless you look at your phone with a magnifying glass or microscope the human eye can't really tell the difference. Backlight makes a bigger difference than anything. Anyway here is an article from professionals that will give a little more insight.
http://lifehacker.com/do-i-need-a-1080p-display-in-my-smartphone-1450793273

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I think the 720p screen is a big part of the reason the device is as snappy as it is, as well as good on battery. I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p but it's tough without a side-by-side. The resolution is perfect IMO.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a couple of articles talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5, which is rumored to have a QHD 2k screen ( 2560 x 1440).

Just curious what others thought. Personally, I went from the HTC Rezound (which was also a 720p screen, but smaller at 4.3", so a higher PPI) to the Moto X, but I love the Moto X screen. I honestly can't imagine having a screen that's any sharper. I almost don't want a higer-rez screen, since it would probably just be a waste of battery power.

I'm sure there are some folks who are spec-oriented, but I feel all of the trade-offs made by the Moto X (720p screen, dual core, etc) were exactly right. Great screen, great battery, responsive UI, etc.
    I switched from the HTC One which had the most amazing screen. The Moto X is fine by all means though, it's vibrant and clear and 720P is more than adequate. I think I'm a sucker for AMOLED as well, the blackest of blacks, I'll never go backs. I've owned a GNex and a Note 1 and I feel this AMOLED is calibrated very well. Not quite as cartoony looking as my brother's Note 3.
    The screen is 4.x" diagonally. If you can see a difference between 720p and 1080p, you need to take off your magnifying glasses and move the phone away from your face. While I'm all about bigger and better specs, a 2k res screen on a phone isn't necessary.
    The Moto X was engineered to be the best balance of hardware/screen/size/battery etc available. To that end the 720p screen is perfect. When the same balance can be achieved with a higher resolution screen then I will want it.

You will notice this is very similar to how Apple engineers a phone, no hardware is included that isn't optimized and balanced. They don't force a feature into the phone for the sake of marketing that really hurts the overall product balance.
    Yes the X screen is nicer than GS3