[Q] Can you Upgrade to 4.4 if your rooted with no recovery?

Search This thread

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
My girlfriend has an AT&T Note 2 running 4.1.2 that is rooted, but with no custom recovery.
Is there a way to get the update.zip put it on the root of the SD card and upgrade through the stock bootloader?

She doesn't want to start from scratch, just upgrade. Doesn't really matter if she loses root or not.

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
My girlfriend has an AT&T Note 2 running 4.1.2 that is rooted, but with no custom recovery.
Is there a way to get the update.zip put it on the root of the SD card and upgrade through the stock bootloader?

She doesn't want to start from scratch, just upgrade. Doesn't really matter if she loses root or not.

Have you tried doing the ota for kitkat on the phone?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
You can unroot it then do the update

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Oh nvm i read that wrong do you have the stock recovery on there?

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

What comes up when you hold volume up home and power? Cuz if you have don't have the stock recovery you won't get it

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
If you used CF auto root to gain the original root...then you have a modified stock recovery and OTA will fail...
You would need to push a stock image via Odin to restore the device to stock I believe...g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app