[Resolved] ADB No Longer Working on Android 4.2.2? - Update your ADB!

Is your ADB working with the stock kernel after the 4.2.2 update?

• Working fine, no issues

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Can no longer use adb

Votes: 88 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
4.2.2 now enforces RSA authentication via ADB. This is only supported in later versions of ADB.

On Windows, you can see your local user profile folder's .android folder and see if there's a file called 'adbkey'.

Or use 'adb version' to see if you have the latest version. ADB version 1.0.31 is working.

Google just added this in the ADB protocol last November, so you need the NEWEST ADB:
https://github.com/android/platform_system_core/commit/d5fcafaf41f8ec90986c813f75ec78402096af2d

The keys for your hosts are stored at /data/misc/adb/adb_keys, I believe.

If your ADB works correctly, you will see this when you plug in for the first time. You may still have to reseat your cable.
2fGhRXXl.jpg

(Pic credit to rickbosch)

This will not affect all of you.

But on the stock Android 4.2.2 kernel from Google, I cannot get adb to work (always shows 'adb offline') on the stock kernel. This is with my laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad), and I never had issues with this before with the same setup.

My current workaround is to use a custom kernel for 4.2.2 (thanks to renaud for delivering)

A custom Fugumod kernel that works with 4.2.2 and does not have this issue with ADB:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37892325&postcount=2167

Stable builds (future?):
http://fugumod.org/galaxy_nexus/stable-4.2.2/

Please report back with the PC/Mac and possibly the cable you are using, thanks.

Attachments

• android-adb_fastboot-16.01.zip
    539.1 KB · Views: 53,638
Last edited:

rickbosch

Mar 3, 2011
Cape Town
It'll ask you to give ADB permission if you're all set up correctly. Mine did...Seems it's a whitelist system now where you can allow or not allow individual PCs to use ADB on your device.

sa8anema.jpg

Reactions: kmdangi

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
In default.prop is new line!

That is ro.adb.secure=1 or something like that, I think this is the issue! changing it to 0 may let you to use ADB!

I gonna test it out in 5 minutes.

That's default.

I resolved my issue swapping my kernel, not the ramdisk (that's where default.prop is in anyway). Hm...

It'll ask you to give ADB permission if you're all set up correctly. Mine did...Seems it's a whitelist system now where you can allow or not allow individual PCs to use ADB on your device.

sa8anema.jpg

This never came up for me o_O. Didn't wipe though.

How do you manage devices?

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderio

Carlos_Manuel

Apr 28, 2011
Kuressaare
I'm using 4.2.2 and I didn't got that popup!

I extracted boot.img and made it to insecure and changed adb secure line from 1 to 0 and now I can use ADB!

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
You shouldn't have to make ro.adb.secure=0 default. I think something is definitely wrong with this OTA lol.

Or maybe this is a new feature. Was the screenshot taken with Linux? How the heck do I get a RSA key with ADB on Windows?

Last edited:

Carlos_Manuel

Apr 28, 2011
Kuressaare
You shouldn't have to make ro.adb.secure=0 default. I think something is definitely wrong with this OTA lol.

Or maybe this is a new feature. Was the screenshot taken with Linux? How the heck do I get a RSA key with ADB on Windows?

Why not!
It lets to use ADB then, now I can use ADB without any issues, before editing default.prop I wasn't able to use ADB!

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
Never changed anything on the phone. Fixed the issue though. I was using an older version of ADB: 1.0.31

Older versions don't support key RSA authentication.

met67

Apr 16, 2007
I also had this problem.
Then I deleted some spare copy of adb.exe and its dlls that where installed under \windows\ by some "do-it-all" tool and updated the adb tools with SDK-Manager.
After connecting to the PC, my GNexus asked for confirmation before allowing USB debugging and since then everything is fine :victory:

M

m.kochan10

I updated android sdk tools on my mac today (before that I couldn't launch abd sideload update.zip) and haven't noticed any issues with adb/fastboot commands.

HaZTuga

Jul 10, 2010
It may seem obvious for some, but wasn't for me.
I flashed the upgrade, with the cable always connected then couldn't get adb to work. Just need to re-plug the cable for the prompt to show up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.2.2 now enforces RSA authentication via ADB. This is only supported in later versions of ADB.

On Windows, you can see your local user profile folder's .android folder and see if there's a file called 'adbkey'.

Or use 'adb version' to see if you have the latest version. ADB version 1.0.31 is working.

Google just added this in the ADB protocol last November, so you need the NEWEST ADB:
    https://github.com/android/platform_system_core/commit/d5fcafaf41f8ec90986c813f75ec78402096af2d

The keys for your hosts are stored at /data/misc/adb/adb_keys, I believe.

If your ADB works correctly, you will see this when you plug in for the first time. You may still have to reseat your cable.
    2fGhRXXl.jpg

(Pic credit to rickbosch)

This will not affect all of you.

But on the stock Android 4.2.2 kernel from Google, I cannot get adb to work (always shows 'adb offline') on the stock kernel. This is with my laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad), and I never had issues with this before with the same setup.

My current workaround is to use a custom kernel for 4.2.2 (thanks to renaud for delivering)

A custom Fugumod kernel that works with 4.2.2 and does not have this issue with ADB:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37892325&postcount=2167

Stable builds (future?):
    http://fugumod.org/galaxy_nexus/stable-4.2.2/

Please report back with the PC/Mac and possibly the cable you are using, thanks.
    Can someone put together a nice little package with updated ADB so we don't have to download the entire SDK? :)

I guess this is the advantage of having fast internetz!

ADB (and fastboot, might as well but I don't think its updated) from the 64bit windows SDK.
    Just the barebones files for people who hate clutter!
    In default.prop is new line!

That is ro.adb.secure=1 or something like that, I think this is the issue! changing it to 0 may let you to use ADB!

I gonna test it out in 5 minutes.

sa8anema.jpg
    I have windows 7 64bit, and stock OTA 4.2.2 and I've tried to root the device as per this tutorial
    Code:
    4) The Galaxy Nexus should be factory unlocked.

5) The battery of the phone should have more than 80 per cent of charge.

6) Make a Nandroid backup of the previous phone set up before proceeding.

Steps to root Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean firmware 

1) Download and install Android SDK from the Android Developers site. Then set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK

2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the Galaxy Nexus

3) Download Fastboot (Link 1/2) and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory (Create a directory in case it is not there)  

4) Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) for Galaxy Nexus to the computer

5) Connect the Galaxy Nexus to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file to the SD card of the phone

6) Switch off the phone

7) Download CWM 6.0.2.3 (recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-maguro.img) and save to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on the computer

8) Enter into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on the Galaxy Nexus. Press and hold the Volume Down , Volume Up and Power buttons together for a few seconds until some text on the screen appears. This is Bootloader Mode

9) Browse to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open command prompt (Shift + Right Click>> Open Command Prompt)

10) Type the below mentioned command and press Enter

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-magu

11) Now choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode

12) In CWM Recovery, scroll down to 'flash zip from SD card' then press the Power button to select it. Again press the Power button to select 'Choose zip from SD card'

13) Use the Volume buttons and navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip and select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation should start now

14) Once the installation is completed, return to the Recovery menu and select 'Reboot System Now' to reboot the phone. The device will take about five minutes to reboot for the first time

The Galaxy Nexus I9250 running on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean firmware is now successfully rooted. Check for the SuperSU app in the app list

The phonw has the USB Debug activated and with adb version 1.031 and "adb devices'' shows me the serial number (and it did ask me at first to confirm the RSA key)
    But when I switch the phone in fastboot mode I can't do nothing ... the "adb devices" doesn't see my phone and the
    command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-magu"
    is not working it just shows me "Waiting for devices" but nothing happens .

What am I doing wrong ?