T-Mobile 2.5GB limit tether workaround on native t-mobile hotspot (stock ROM)

Search This thread

ad78

Mar 22, 2011
Connecticut
by using the stock native hotspot feature, i reached the maximum 2.5gb and received text messages from t-mobile saying its blocked and i can use it again next billing cycle.

by breaking it, you simply add APN. same settings and the only difference is change the APN protocol to IPV4/IPV6 then save it.

im a mac user so safari no issues or whatsoever, but on chrome you need to change your UA to safari 5

Goodluck!

Reactions: dal71

Rickdaddy

Nov 5, 2011
by using the stock native hotspot feature, i reached the maximum 2.5gb and received text messages from t-mobile saying its blocked and i can use it again next billing cycle.

by breaking it, you simply add APN. same settings and the only difference is change the APN protocol to IPV4/IPV6 then save it.

im a mac user so safari no issues or whatsoever, but on chrome you need to change your UA to safari 5

Goodluck!

What's UA?

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Just to clarify, You're only using Safari browser on your Mac? I take it that if you use Firefox it wouldn't work?

For those using a OpenVPN Client app has it already changed to IPV4/IPV6. I'm curious if you would have to create a new APN anyway or just use the APN that you're already on that is already switched to IPV4/IPV6?

I'll test it out as soon as I run over, which is soon and will report back.

Goodluck!

ad78

Mar 22, 2011
Connecticut
Just to clarify, You're only using Safari browser on your Mac? I take it that if you use Firefox it wouldn't work?

For those using a OpenVPN Client app has it already changed to IPV4/IPV6. I'm curious if you would have to create a new APN anyway or just use the APN that you're already on that is already switched to IPV4/IPV6?

I'll test it out as soon as I run over, which is soon and will report back.

im using safari and chrome. i tried downloading safari and i got flagged by t-mobile. im happy with Safari and Chrome so im all good.
and by the way, we have 2 ipad's and tablet and no issues connecting with my note 3 with this setup i posted.

you have to create a new APN since the stock APN is not editable, blurred everything..

njweb

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks a lot for the info!
Quick question (keeping in mind I have not done (wifi) tether via a hotspot:

I understand the useragent switcher is needed to surf the web via Chrome (for non-Mac users who can't use Safari) when using this thread's technique.

However if, e.g., I want to use this free hotspot tethering option (beyond the 2.5 GB of hotspot included for free by T-Mobile) to simply watch Netflix (via the app and not via the browser) on a tablet or laptop using the Note 3's data connection (as opposed to being interested in browsing the web), then am I right to assume I don't need to worry about first firing up my web browser on the tablet (e.g. Chrome and UA switcher method) to establish the data connection like some VPN's force you to do?

So far I have actually not even used ANY of the 2.5 GB included by T-Mobile (I have not done any tethering with my Note 3 yet sinceI have wifi via my cable internet at home and have not needed it on vacation yet either).
Nevertheless, I am still interested in exploring the technique described here to get it for free beyond the 2.5 GB (never know when I might be on vacation and don't want to risk going over).

PS: Here is a similar thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2467193

Last edited:

DustinD1986

Jan 26, 2013
Processes

When i was on US Cellular There was a process that was called "synchronos" that was designed to check with US cellular's network to see if you were able to tether, and "police" the amount of data you were allowed to tether. I just switched to T-Mobile today.. I havent found that process yet.. Anyone know what process T-Mobile uses to check the status of your tethering package? I can freeze it with Titanium backup and tether all i want.

Reactions: M3THMAN

dal71

Sep 25, 2013

Goodluck!

OK, question from a noobie - at least where tethering comes in.

I've been reading this thread (forgive if I should have done this at the end of the most recent message, not familiar with appropriate
protocol) and want to clarify my own understanding while questioning UA.

I migrated from Verizon and immediately came upon the 2.5 Gig limit everyone is talking about. I found an on-line resource that showed me
how to change my Access Point Name from T-Mobile US (apn = epc.tmobile.com) by creating a new one with apn = ipv4.

Now I'm able to tether without T-Mobile sending me notifications with respect to their 2.5 Gig limit.

Question: Have I effectively by-passed their limit by doing this, or do I also have to look at UA switching? I'll have to admit I'm not at all
familiar with the UA thing.

I'm tethering my Galaxy Note 3, while my wife is tethering her Ipad 4 (using Chrome.)

Just don't want to get hit with a big bill for the extra Gigs.

Thanks a lot.

Fox.Hound

Dec 6, 2013
When i was on US Cellular There was a process that was called "synchronos" that was designed to check with US cellular's network to see if you were able to tether, and "police" the amount of data you were allowed to tether. I just switched to T-Mobile today.. I havent found that process yet.. Anyone know what process T-Mobile uses to check the status of your tethering package? I can freeze it with Titanium backup and tether all i want.

Please post a complete apn settings please

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

DustinD1986

Jan 26, 2013
It's a VERY valid concern. Anyone that has hit the limit on tethering will tell you that T-Mobile DOES NOT give you more tether data and bill you later. They will stop you and suggest you purchase more. No unexpected big bills should be in your future due to tethering.

Thanks a lot.

I changed the APN Protocol to IPv4/IPv6, installed Chome UA Spoofer on my laptop, and Safari 5 works like a gem.
MUCH appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: njweb and dal71

topgun303

Sep 19, 2010
springfield va
So I am currently on D Stalker V6 ROM AND Comp standard kernal. I am wifi tether router app. While wifi tethering my phone wont charge when plugex in through usb port or on wall charger even though on status bar it flashes current symbol on and off. The battery keeps discharging. Phone charges fine when not tethering

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ROADKING17

Aug 17, 2013
So this wouldn't work tethering to a smart tv to watch Netflix I take?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mxcnflmmkr

Feb 28, 2014
Idiots Guide to Tethering

I know this may seem like a silly request, perhaps even an unfair one, but I've been looking for a way to tether my T-Mobile Samsung Note 3 device since I switched from Sprint using the iPhone device last November.

I downloaded Fox Fi, Hotspot Toggle, and so many other apps I read about on blogs. This is the closest one that addresses a problem I've been running into.

When it comes to technology and setting things up, I'm a complete moron. Some of the terms I know little about, which is why I'm hoping someone could post the process for setting up our phones in steps, and from what I've read so far, what web browsing software not to use or only use when tethering our devices on a Mac, iPad or other devices. I've been traveling back and forth to Fresno in Central California to care for my ailing mother, and the ony wifi signal I got was from my phone. Unfortunately, 2.5GB disappears quickly, and I can't be increasing my Hotspot data plan every time I visit home.

Thank you one and all for being supportive and understanding.

Last edited:

Alberto5501

Oct 10, 2011
Florida
Hi

I've been using a Lollipop 5.0.1 Note 4 port ROM on my Note 3, tethering worked like a charm. I've used up to 125GB monthly for the past 4 months on T-Mobile tethering to my Mac, AppleTV, tablets, desktops, laptops... you name it. Obviously custom ROMs aren't perfect. Battery life is horrible, NFC & GPS doesn't work, Bluetooth and WiFi issues, some stock apps don't work as they should, etc...

I had to upgrade to T-Mobile's Official firmware due to a big malfunction that erased all my data and almost bricked my device. Immediately rooted and downloaded a Deodexed and Knox free Tmo firmware. In just a day I hit the cap on my 5GB tethering plan and my speeds have been reduced to 128kb... Spotify doesn't even load any music on my iPad and I don't even wanna try loading Netflix on my AppleTV.

I've been wondering wth makes a custom ROM able to tether freely and how I could apply that to my "almost" stock ROM. I've read so many threads and comments, applied some suggestions and used some apps and none works for me. I'm not a developer neither a noob, but any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's a VERY valid concern. Anyone that has hit the limit on tethering will tell you that T-Mobile DOES NOT give you more tether data and bill you later. They will stop you and suggest you purchase more. No unexpected big bills should be in your future due to tethering.

Thanks a lot.

I changed the APN Protocol to IPv4/IPv6, installed Chome UA Spoofer on my laptop, and Safari 5 works like a gem.
    MUCH appreciated.

Goodluck!

Chrome plugin. "User Agent"

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Processes