Why I am getting rid of my Moto G for the RAZR I.

Search This thread

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
I have the RAZR i about a year ago, was really happy with it, but the app compatibility annoyed me too much, now fast forward to now, I own a Moto G, this is my first Motorola device since I gave up the RAZR i a year ago, and wow I have missed Motorola, every phone I have had from them has been so reliable.

BUT there are downsides and reasons why I am now going to switch BACK to the RAZR i from the MOTO G.

8 megapixel vs 5 megapixel: RAZR i wins here, not that I use my phone for photography, but the Moto G camera awful, everything looks painted!

Design: Well not saying the MOTO G design is bad, but let's face it, the RAZR i takes the crown without a doubt in design.

IPS vs AMOLED: even though the Moto G does have a higher pixel density, doesn't say that the RAZR i screen is awful, and I have always preferred AMOLED over IPS, but thats personal preference.

Micro SD: The Moto G doesn't have one!!

web browsing speed: I did a side by side comparison with my friends RAZR i, the RAZR i is a second quicker, despite been less powerful, speaks for itself.

These reasons mean a lot to me and that's why I am switching back. And maybe it will make you think twice about switching too.

I just hope apps have become more compatible since I last had it :/

YaPeL

Mar 1, 2011
Well, the moto G is fine, but not something to see as an upgrade for us razr i users, I'm waiting for the new asus line, I'm very happy with my intel processor, although what I wished for it didn't come true, and remember kids, always update to more, no to less-

edit: the moto g display is tn,not ips.

bongofred

Oct 6, 2013
Well, the moto G is fine, but not something to see as an upgrade for us razr i users, I'm waiting for the new asus line, I'm very happy with my intel processor, although what I wished for it didn't come true, and remember kids, always update to more, no to less-

yeah, I agree, Moto G is equally fine as the razr i. I bought the Moto G for my mom so I had some time comparing the two phones and in the end both have their strengths and flaws. I would say, if you have neither of the two phones and want to switch to a medium spec phone then go for the G, but if you are using the i at the moment and think about going for the G, I would say it is not worth it.

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com

Read on gsmarena it used a IPS. oh well. And i now own the RAZR i, it's brlliant, the design and camera are far superior. But it is a little more laggy.

Mr Spigot

Feb 11, 2013
Moto-G is great but as far as I can see there's no way for it to recognise a car dock. My Defy had a magnetic switch and the Razr i has NFC which works fine for that purpose and maybe for other stuff too (one day...).
I'm using more than 16Gb of my SD card, so space would be an issue.
Definitely not a Razr I replacement for me.

Moving back to ARM would be a positive I think - a couple of apps have recently stopped working after an update (NavFree included) and I think multi-core would help with lag. That said, I've just reduced the lag a lot by uninstalling the updates to the increasing number of Google apps I don't use and disabling them in the app manager so I'm not hassled to update them. I recommend doing that.

Last edited:

ReiverBlade

Oct 15, 2011
Ovronnaz
web browsing speed: I did a side by side comparison with my friends RAZR i, the RAZR i is a second quicker, despite been less powerful, speaks for itself.
not meaning to Necro too much but this thread is interesting

being less powerful ... well when you oppose a quadcore versus a singlecore with HT ... yet the Razr i can be on the level of a Quadcore SOC thanks to the 2ghz of the Z2480
9ihs.png
moto-g-antutu.jpg

i have to say you got to give credit on a single core virtual dual core who do almost as fine as a Exynos 4412/Snapdragon 400... the Razr i still have the Oomph to kick 2013/2014 middle range phone with a quality build and overall good performance
(comming from a ex SGS III custom ROM 21-23K pts user ) so yes ... a Moto G is definitely not a "upgrade"

compatibility indeed the main letdown but yet none of the app i use are non working, bonus: PPSSPP/FPse are smoother than on my SGS III
and also the first phone i keep on stock ... Moto did a awesome job to not "bloat" too much the OS nearly a Nexus experience (feel the google print ... let's hope Lenovo will not let down the 4.4 for the XT890 )

i got my Ri for less than 120$ in a near new state, it still does more than 2 day on moderate use and a bit more than 1 day on heavy use (my kind of heavy use of course) the screen bear just one little scratch
and the rest of the phone is pristine. awesome material and build, good user experience, still actual in term of performances, the camera button is practical and near instant camera app launch from screen off is just awesome.

now who really need, 13mp, QHD UHD, 2gb RAM and more, and over 5" ... not me, that's for sure (and i had several size and model of smartphones/phablet)

ok the 8gb storage is a bit...meh... since no app2sd but i have all my app installed and still 2.5gb free and i use a 32gb UHSI µSD
i need to figure out a way to move the folder for Manga Rock, from main storage to the SD, having 2.5gb for the download is a bit small :laugh:

Lucki_X

Feb 2, 2013
Poděbrady
ok the 8gb storage is a bit...meh... since no app2sd but i have all my app installed and still 2.5gb free and i use a 32gb UHSI µSD
i need to figure out a way to move the folder for Manga Rock, from main storage to the SD, having 2.5gb for the download is a bit small :laugh:

If you are rooted you can use FolderMount from google play to move apps data to SD.

Reactions: ReiverBlade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the RAZR i about a year ago, was really happy with it, but the app compatibility annoyed me too much, now fast forward to now, I own a Moto G, this is my first Motorola device since I gave up the RAZR i a year ago, and wow I have missed Motorola, every phone I have had from them has been so reliable.

BUT there are downsides and reasons why I am now going to switch BACK to the RAZR i from the MOTO G.

8 megapixel vs 5 megapixel: RAZR i wins here, not that I use my phone for photography, but the Moto G camera awful, everything looks painted!

Design: Well not saying the MOTO G design is bad, but let's face it, the RAZR i takes the crown without a doubt in design.

IPS vs AMOLED: even though the Moto G does have a higher pixel density, doesn't say that the RAZR i screen is awful, and I have always preferred AMOLED over IPS, but thats personal preference.

Micro SD: The Moto G doesn't have one!!

These reasons mean a lot to me and that's why I am switching back. And maybe it will make you think twice about switching too.

I just hope apps have become more compatible since I last had it :/
    I can understand you, because I've already thought about switching to the moto g, too. But I really love my RAZR i and I won't switch so fast! :)

If you are rooted you can use FolderMount from google play to move apps data to SD.