SocialSync - import ALL your facebook details to device

Search This thread

binary64

Oct 30, 2009
SocialSync 0.1

Imports (one-way synchonization) your Facebook contacts to your Pocket Outlook.

Supports the following sync mappings:
* Facebook super-sized profile pic --> Outlook Picture
* Facebook Full Name --> Outlook's FileAs, FirstName, MiddleName, LastName
* Facebook Profile URL --> Outlook GovernmentID
* Facebook Relationship Status --> Outlook Spouse
* Facebook Birthday --> Outlook Birthday
* Adds "facebook" to Outlook Categories
* Facebook Status --> Outlook JobTitle
* Facebook Personal Website --> Outlook Website URL (only first one since Outlook only supports 1 URL)
* Facebook Email (image representation) --> Outlook Email

Supported on:
WM2003, WM5, WM6, WM6.5, WM6.5.3
QVGA (240x320) Portrait (want more formats? donate!)
.NET Compact Framework 3.5

To-do:
* Scheduled imports
* Allow skipping importing Facebook Status (saves a http hit)
* Phone numbers! lol. nightmare formatting, some are 004412344.. some are +4412344.. some are 012344.. some are 4412344 :(

DISCLAIMER: This is an unofficial app (lowercase 'a' for app because it's NOT a 'Facebook Application'). It is unofficial because I have not signed a ToS with Facebook. This application is for EDUCATIONAL-USES only. It is recommended you do not use this. Using this MAY breech your User agreement with Facebook, which means your personal account may be suspended, deleted, blocked, or banned. You have been warned.

the welcome screen contains a menu. the menu can launch the email input screen, which is where you manually type the email contained in an image. it can also force a manual sync, once the wizard was completed at least once before.

enter your facebook email and password here. click next to save login details to device.

socialsync will now fetch your friends list, so this takes about 8 http requests per 100 friends.

now you can link facebook friends (on the left) with pocket outlook contacts (on the right).

this is where you can import facebook friends that does not have a corresponding outlook contact already.

your sync profile has been saved and is ready to do an initial sync.

this is the actual sync process. it takes 4 http requests per contact to get their information.

Download
Version: 2010.01.26
MD5: 42bc359b858e6438bf0f0ed6e476795a
URL: http://www.MegaShare.com/1765220 http://www.mediafire.com/?4janzyzyymy http://www.easy-share.com/1909109298/SocialSyncWM_binary64_2010.01.26.zip
Source code: use Reflector on the .exe - it's not obfuscated or anything

Last edited:

lbhocky19

Feb 18, 2007
so the diff between this and the sense ability is you can import all facebook contacts that have phone numbers not just ones that are in your phone already?

binary64

Oct 30, 2009
so the diff between this and the sense ability is you can import all facebook contacts that have phone numbers not just ones that are in your phone already?
oops, didn't know that Sense can do this, which version?
but yeah, mine does more then.. it can bring down new facebook friends and create new contacts on phone, but also their email address, date of birth, address, contact pic --> outlook pic, IM addresses, etc

Nagrom Nniuq

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
I would love this, but the reason we haven't had this so far is that it violates Facebooks TOS and gets people banned for doing this. Will this not be a problem?

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
I would love this, but the reason we haven't had this so far is that it violates Facebooks TOS and gets people banned for doing this. Will this not be a problem?

I would love this too and it would be a shame if it did violate the TOS - I can't see how it can? - my Facebook friends update their individual privacy policies to allow me to view the information they wish. As far as I can see that's all the app is fetching?

Please do continue this project if you can, even if Sense does already have this functionality - I don't have sense (the ui!)! Doesn't SPB Mobile Shell do this too?

binary64

Oct 30, 2009
The way I see it, is this is just a custom User-Agent. If Facebook want to go round "banning" people for using a non-normal browser, then it's not a site I'd like to use.

I imagine people will be syncing once a day or once a week.. I've been syncing like every 5 minutes for a week with no problem using my own account. I'll let you all know if I ever get "banned".

I'll add a disclaimer to first post, but brandall got it on the head; this is all information shared and authorised for by your friends.. this app just saves you having to click each profile by hand and eye to manually update your phone. It's also a bit like any HTTP cache/proxy or FasterFox.

Plus, in theory, how could they ever tell? I haven't done a byte-by-byte comparison, but I do things like Referrer tracking, cookies, random delays.. for all they know it's a scriptlet running in firefox.. and even if they deployed javascript obfuscation, this sync could just run an IE session in a hidden window and use DOM to access the data..

Nagrom Nniuq

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
Facebook doesn't allow any application that can access personal details other than Names and Birthdays. Phone numbers, addresses, etc are all off limits. If you account is running any app that access that stuff you can be banned. It's happened many times in the past. Just look up "Facebook sync to Outlook" or a derivitave of that.

If this app has a way around that, then sweet.

belal_se

Nov 28, 2008
hello

this is to encourage you more and more to do this genius idea... a really very useful and practical ideal

thanks in advance

emac2003

Jun 29, 2009
SocialSync 0.1

Imports (one-way synchonization) your Facebook contacts to your Pocket Outlook.

Supported on:
WM2003, WM5, WM6, WM6.5
QVGA (240x320) Portrait
.NET Compact Framework 3.5

To-do:
* Scheduled imports
* Allow skipping importing Facebook Status (saves a http hit)

Download coming soon

I think its great and ready to try it and let you know what happened :)

binary64

Oct 30, 2009
First version posted to first post!
It's not .cab yet, no idea how to make .cabs..
just unzip to \program files\SocialSync\ or somewhere and run

ebliss

Oct 18, 2005
Thanks! It feels a bit rough on the edges, but does work well!

Is it possible to choose what data to sync? For some friends, I prefer not to have their profile pictures sync'ed.

binary64

Oct 30, 2009
Thanks! It feels a bit rough on the edges, but does work well!

Is it possible to choose what data to sync? For some friends, I prefer not to have their profile pictures sync'ed.

not yet, can't think how to present per-user selective importing on a 3-inch user interface :(

what is the most annoying rough-edge? i would like to polish that.

donations welcomed (for my personal efforts on this forum; not specifically this app)

belal_se

Nov 28, 2008
very nice!! although i spent 1 hour linking my facebook account to outlook it is still a nice idea...

few suggestions:
1- option for exporting link information in case i need to redo all that after a room upgrade
2- also like previous comments, the name boxes are small so if i have 3 guys named Mohammad i do not know which one is which...
3- easier search in outlook contacts by allowing to type names instead of searching in a big contacts list

thank you for your effort, you are really achieving something here, although it is only for educactional purposes only ;)

binary64

Oct 30, 2009
wow, why did it take an hour? i did put randomised delays inbetween requests, but they are quite low (0.1-1.5 secs).

1. to backup partnership database, just back up your outlook/pimstore.. the partnership exists because the GovernmentID field is filled in with a facebook profile url. this is the key to breaking sync relationships with a contact.

the file on device friends.dat is just a cache of friends, it can be lost with no problem.

2. i struggled to find a decent gui toolkit to use for this app. microsoft made an iphone GUI clone but it's too complex to digest (no design-time support, no docs, no support).. but in March we should all see Compact Silverlight Beta, maybe that can help. basically I use a ListBox which doesnt support left/right scrolling. maybe i'll try a ListView if that exists in CF..

3. i could maybe do that. what part of my auto-guess feature doesn't help you properly? on my phone it's a snap to find someone - it jumps to the closest named contact whenever i select a new fb friend on the left..

Last edited: