Postive and Negative with Jelly Bean Thread.

Search This thread

haverdaden

Sep 11, 2011
Purmo
Hi ! I want to hear your opinions about the new Jelly Bean update. What is positive and what is negative with the new update. Also what are your opinions about the new functions :).
I noticed that there is another Thread about this. My mistake. I was typing for too long.

Last edited:

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
i have use JB in a few devices already, Galaxy nexus, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, Asus prime TF201. I can tell you right away that this version is the worth of all. the opening and closing animation of apps is jerky. Not smooth at all. The task manager to close app is always butter smooth in other devices when you scroll up and down, here is jerky. Not sure if this might add because of the 1920x1200 resolution which is 4x higher than 720p and require more cpu power. This is kind of disappointed, i really starting to think that this resolution is to much for a tegra 3.

Reactions: adtoes

cmdrdredd

Sep 13, 2012
i have use JB in a few devices already, Galaxy nexus, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, Asus prime TF201. I can tell you right away that this version is the worth of all. the opening and closing animation of apps is jerky. Not smooth at all. The task manager to close app is always butter smooth in other devices when you scroll up and down, here is jerky. Not sure if this might add because of the 1920x1200 resolution which is 4x higher than 720p and require more cpu power. This is kind of disappointed, i really starting to think that this resolution is to much for a tegra 3.

Are you on the balanced or performance mode? From what I understand the modes that save battery can csuse this with JB very noticeably sometimes.

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
Are you on the balanced or performance mode? From what I understand the modes that save battery can csuse this with JB very noticeably sometimes.

balance and performance. both setting perfomance about the same. tab on the setting icon, or browser icon, the new animation for JB is suppost to be butter smooth but in this version of JB for our TF700 is jerky. scrolling and pinch to zoom seem find for a jb rom. Can wait for zeus to grab this and do his magic.

007shaolin

Sep 25, 2008
balance and performance. both setting perfomance about the same. tab on the setting icon, or browser icon, the new animation for JB is suppost to be butter smooth but in this version of JB for our TF700 is jerky. scrolling and pinch to zoom seem find for a jb rom. Can wait for zeus to grab this and do his magic.

Ye. I find this quite disapointing to. Its not smooth at all. I think the full hd res is to much to handle for the tegra3

rlarson)mn

Aug 25, 2007
From my units standpoint it is not rooted and never has been the upgrade has made it much faster. I now understand what 'buttery smooth' means. No issues at this point with the download, upgrade, app loading or functioning afterwards. Wifi works as does gps. I use Boat as my browser and its significantly faster. Not quite as fast as my iPad3 but pretty close. Scrolling web pages is without lag now at least for me. Thank you Asus for a GREAT upgrade.

Jan 14, 2011
I had similar jerkiness and slowness after the initial update. After reading the TF201 forums I was ready to do a factory reset right after updating. Since then, I've restored all my apps and widgets, regained root, downloaded lots of things in the background while using the tab etc.. I'm happy to report It's buttery smooth. If you haven't done a factory reset after upgrading, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

Also, I had an interesting bug. My SD card wasn't recognized until after I rebooted the 2nd time after my factory reset. It's working fine now.. it even seems to be reading/writing faster than before.

Reactions: Darnell_Chat_TN

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
positive - we can now take pics while recording with the stock camera.
negative - the stock camera has a bit of a hiccup.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
Was the Screensaver option always available under Asus Customized Settings? I dont remember it being there.

cvflowe

Oct 20, 2010
San Diego
So far so good. The installation went flawlessly! Seems to be much more smooth! Testing-IP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
1. Love the fact that we can pinch and expand the notification bar to see more details
2. The ability to just say "Google" from within search and it automatically prompts you to voice search is some next level sh*t!
3. System bar lock FINALLY
4. Overall though its not as "buttery" smooth as i imagined it would be, maybe doing a factory reset will help?
5. I dont know if anyone has checked but did they update supernote and polaris as well?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

Reactions: d3n14l

Ready2Mosh

Jun 18, 2007
1) I have the no icons on home screen bug until you flip back and forth.
2) Cool tool only shows in portrait mode for me now.

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
If you run into problems with apps and performance, I suggest to perform a factory reset. That should clear things up and insure a clean Jelly Bean experience. Also since JB just droped this morning, don't expect it to be smooth. The new OS needs to settle before you can truly see a difference. Just wait at least 24 hours before you praise or complain about your experience. But for the meantime, I applied a cold boot after I noticed a bit of sluggishness. Seems to have fixed that. Ill probably do a factory reset if my apps act up though.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

chugger93

Nov 9, 2009
Michigan
I had similar jerkiness and slowness after the initial update. After reading the TF201 forums I was ready to do a factory reset right after updating. Since then, I've restored all my apps and widgets, regained root, downloaded lots of things in the background while using the tab etc.. I'm happy to report It's buttery smooth. If you haven't done a factory reset after upgrading, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

Also, I had an interesting bug. My SD card wasn't recognized until after I rebooted the 2nd time after my factory reset. It's working fine now.. it even seems to be reading/writing faster than before.
Didnt think you could factory reset, and retain root though.... ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From my units standpoint it is not rooted and never has been the upgrade has made it much faster. I now understand what 'buttery smooth' means. No issues at this point with the download, upgrade, app loading or functioning afterwards. Wifi works as does gps. I use Boat as my browser and its significantly faster. Not quite as fast as my iPad3 but pretty close. Scrolling web pages is without lag now at least for me. Thank you Asus for a GREAT upgrade.
    I don't get it. Today i was playing around with 2d rendering settings. And started noticing quadrant scores higher than i got when I started. My best score was over 200 0oints higher than ics, with tick on, scores are better even when its off.
    (I remember on this or prime telling about a setting, when turned on and off improved performance. If someone remembers this please post.)
    At first normal browser, didn't work very well with some web pages. I mentioned xda and amazon as examples. Today they are just fine.
    I've been doing so much on infinity i don't remember when i did what, but i did do a factory restore, and 2d rendering tick. I unticked and browser worked fine. I don't know who did what and when, but am a happy camper.
    Woody

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Congrats! Yup when we initially started downloading JB update some people were already concluding that JB was a joke. Even after I suggested applying a factory reset if your having performance and app issues and just wait till it settles before complaining and or praising JB. Some thought it was BS and blew me and others off. Then after a day or so, yup singing a different tune. For me this device is a beast regardless of what some would otherwise say issues and all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    So far since the update I have had a really good experience with it. I consider myself a power user, today after updating I was able to use it as a workstation replacement. I work as an IT consultant and frequently have to rdp into multiple servers, open ticket tracking, systems management and communications software. I was able to finally realize the potential of this device. It served as a troubleshooting device and my primary means of communication to my office and my clients. My prime was not ready for this use but the infinity was refined hardware-wise just enough to fit some gaps in technology that are needed.

Showed an iPad 3 user :) two of his employees with a tf700 connected to a monitor, USB hub, external KB, mouse, and Ethernet... running his company's remote apps.

Tf700 as a thin client.... gotta love it!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium
    To everyone that noticed bookmark sync is broken: go log into your asus registration VIP thing and start a technical inquiry. Fill it out as a bug report, like this:
    ---------------

[Problem Description]
    BUG REPORT: After receiving the Android 4.1 update this week, the Browser app no longer has the ability to sync bookmarks with my google account.
    STEPS TAKEN TO RESOLVE PROBLEM: I performed two factory resets and re-added my google account; neither time allowed my bookmarks to show up in the browser.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: "Browser" used to be a sync option under the Google account in the Settings -> Accounts and Sync menu on Android 4.1. That option is missing, but the "Chrome" sync option is present, and bookmark syncing works fine with Chrome.

--------------

Be as descriptive as you can when submitting it. Whining here won't fix anything, but if enough of us report it to ASUS directly, they should go about fixing it.