[KERNEL] Clemsyn's Elite Kernel: Pushing the Limits of Nexus 7. Now with 700mhz GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
no, not upping voltages. they are EXTREMELY high as they are. i would have liked to lower them, but none of the apps i tried actually lowered them. and yes, i was in a well air conditioned room . 1.9 is very manageable, even almost stable. 2ghz has to be treated very delicately to get to run, let the device just sit there for a good 5-10 minutes before adjusting it to 2ghz, so whayever boot up process finish running. i watched my cpu %, when it went down to 0 is when i cranked it up.

OK I went nuts and cranked it straight to the max as soon as it booted. I am going to give it another go because 1.9 seemed good. Thanks for the tips. I will get the air conditioner fired up too..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

CharliesTheMan

Could not hang at 2.0+....is Simms upping voltages and testing in front of air conditioner like normal. 1.9 seems manageable. If I get the OK to raise voltages I will give it another go but had a heck of a time getting recovery back for some strange reason. Had to flash another kernel through Flash Image GUI app....ooh. irc ...be there in a bit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

I had the same problem with booting to recover with the 2.0 kernel. It seemed that before recovery opened the screen flashed and rebooted to system, almost like recovery ramping up the CPU caused a reboot before recovery opened.

I could boot fine so I took advantage of the negative and copied storage the flashed stock and put my data back and then started over clean.

Flashing the kernel would have worked but I didn't try that GUI program and knew formatting clean wasn't a bad idea anyway, but your way was easier. Just wanted to let you know I had exactly the same problem.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Reactions: JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I thought I had the top and someone messaged me as soon as Simms broke 8

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346026682005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346026682005.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 413

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I had the same problem with booting to recover with the 2.0 kernel. It seemed that before recovery opened the screen flashed and rebooted to system, almost like recovery ramping up the CPU caused a reboot before recovery opened.

I could boot fine so I took advantage of the negative and copied storage the flashed stock and put my data back and then started over clean.

Flashing the kernel would have worked but I didn't try that GUI program and knew formatting clean wasn't a bad idea anyway, but your way was easier. Just wanted to let you know I had exactly the same problem.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Yup we had the exact same thing happen. Right when it was going to go to recovery, it low flickered "Google" and just booted back up. Meh I know its savable. I am not done

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
if anything, force reboot the device. then go into the bootloader, plug in via usb, and choose recovery. if it wont let you choose, unplug and force reboot again. then go into tbe bootloader, plug in, and try again :)

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I will give it another go but had a heck of a time getting recovery back for some strange reason. Had to flash another kernel through Flash Image GUI app....ooh. irc ...be there in a bit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Cleymson might want to have a deeper look into this. I had what you described happen twice. Days/week apart or so. The kernel was so extreme it crashed my device. Then I wouldn't get past boot up animation. First time I had to use toolkit and I restored a backup. I was unable to get into recvoery without toolkit. Then everything was good. Days/week later I try latest version at that time. Then same thing happens..lol. it crashed while I was benching. Then it kept on bootlooping. Unable to get I to recovery on the tablet itself. I had to use toolkit again. This time I used it to put tablet in recovery and then I just flashed motley kernel. Them device booted up fine. I think what happens is, when it crashes, temps go sky high. Then when it reboots, it keeps trying to bootup with extremely high temps. Therefore it'll either bootloop or stay on boot animation screen. Flashing anotjer kernel cleared it and brings temps back down to normal.

Like others said, not all devices can handle the same extreme gpu & CPU overclock. So be prepared to have to use toolkit or use recoverynif something goes bad. Comes with the territory with extreme testing. Some will handle it fine. Others will get stuck like me n others did..lol

TIP I LEARNED THE HARD WAY: don't bench this extreme kernel with volume all the way up. Or be careful in games at extreme speed. I crashed while playing nova3. Sound crashed also and made extremely loud noise that looped. It blew my speakers or now they sound all distorted and like crap..lmfao. just a f.y.I. so it doesn't happen to someone else. I think it was when I was testing the extreme undervolted version. So it doesn't even need to be at super high speed to crash n case issue. Just know what you getting into :)

this kernel not for the weak hearted or someone who doesn't know how to use other methods to get I to recovery if needed. ADVANCED users only.

Reactions: JohnCorleone

willis936

Dec 6, 2011
So I'm running the stock rom with the 1.8Ghz/ 650 GPU kernel. Scoring 5200 in quadrant, 69.8 FPS in nenamark. Ran Nova 3 perfectly smooth. How are people hitting 8000 on quadrant?

The lower scores are not a result of a lower clock rate but of temperature throttling. If the hardware gets too hot it will crash, to prevent this the system will slow things down when it's nearing the point of instability. As any seasoned overclocker will tell you: if you want to go faster you must go cooler.

Reactions: simms22

droyd4life

Dec 10, 2010
The lower scores are not a result of a lower clock rate but of temperature throttling. If the hardware gets too hot it will crash, to prevent this the system will slow things down when it's nearing the point of instability. As any seasoned overclocker will tell you: if you want to go faster you must go cooler.
Thanks, been reading a lot here and seems like I need to change governors, get cooling and turn off fsync (whatever that is) to get better scores. Will turning off fsync actually give better real life performance? Also, I realized that the default browser in the glazed rom destroys chrome :confused: looks like were going to need water cooling in our phones and tablets soon LOL.

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
Can't wait until the rest of us can try out this 2ghz kernel. #excited

On another note , the 1.8ghz 650gpu kernel is running great maxed out

458d4069-07f6-4a73.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Been running 2.0GHz for two days now without reboot. That is until I floor it and run a couple bench tests. Still looking for a solid rom to help reach the illusive 8000's :D

Sent from my SCH-I535

The bench tests are what keep it running at max freq the whole time. Simms and I test a little differently. I set my min and max (say 51/1900) but I use on demand and deadline
like I do in my daily use which isn't a true stability test. Running it wide open (2000/2000 performance is the way to find out if it is truly "stable" for daily use. Also videos and games are another good way to push the device because they make it get warm and use lots of juice. The funny thing about the 1800 650 GPU was I completely forgot I had it set there. I was just using the thing and noticed higher battery drain with screen on so I checked. There may be some 1850 max CPU with like a 550 (/probably still too high) that people could get away with using. . I went crazy and bought an unlocked quad core S3, Evo LTE (2) and this so I am willing to push this the most because its the cheapest to replace. Trying to resist the unlocked quad core 1.5 all black One X I can get tomorrow. I am starting to get loopy from maintaining all of these devices...

Last edited:

willis936

Dec 6, 2011
Wow well done.

Another thing to try if you're getting less than stellar scores is to turn on force GPU rendering in developer options.

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
Last edited:

modstorm

May 9, 2011
Siggiewi
www.modstorm.co
Sadly I couldn't get mine to run at 2GHz :( Highest i was able to go was 1.9GHz however I couldn't get quadrant to run :/ As soon as I max out 2GHz my Nexus shut's down. I also tried increasing the voltages (1.9 and 2GHz) by 50Mv with no difference. Hope one day I will be able to run 2GHz :)

t_007_v2

Jul 23, 2012
:) Thanks for the link. I think they also need to give credit to _motley in the post in which this kernel is based. This would not have been possible without his kernel :)

BTW, will try to fine tune the 2.0ghz more and see what we can do but I believe we have hit the ceiling :)

motley deserves more credit than he is getting. without his initial work none of this would have been possible.

motley

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
:) Thanks for the link. I think they also need to give credit to _motley in the post in which this kernel is based. This would not have been possible without his kernel :)

BTW, will try to fine tune the 2.0ghz more and see what we can do but I believe we have hit the ceiling :)

Hey clemsyn, I'll be sure and update the article and mention Motley made this all possible. Oh and for those wondering, the Engadget story you can thank clemsyn, Simms, and I for that. Because that all started with mee!
http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-quad-core-overclocked-to-2-0-ghz-shatters-benchmarks-20120825/

Oh and you made the SlashGear front page too ;)
http://www.slashgear.com/nexus-7-2ghz-overclock-delivers-benchmark-crushing-tablet-27243969/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD NOTE: IT APPEARS THIS KERNEL IS FOR 4.1.x ONLY. Flashing on 4.2 will result in bootloop. also, this kernel is unsupported by the OP, so thread is currently CLOSED

First and foremost, I would like to thank _motley for his kernel since this is based on his kernel. I chose his kernel because I have worked with him and IMO is the best kernel out there at the moment :). Second, I would like to thank pinoyto and secret for testing the kernels. Also thanks to Koush, Blades, faux123, pershoot, chatch15117, all the Gtab, Asus Transformer and Motorola Atrix users, and other devs that I may have missed. BIG THANKS to my beloved wife for watching the kids while I do this.

I call this kernel elite since the timings are pretty aggressive and voltage are decreased on the low side and increased on the high side. This kernel might not work on your device because of these so be sure that you have a backup and and that you are familiar on restoring your device.

The following are the difference with motley's kernel

1. JRCU is implemented
    2. Lowest backlight setting set to 5 (save battery and better reading at night, if you have screen flicker issue it will be more noticable because of this so I suggest covering the ground pin of wifi)
    3. Core voltage increased from 1200 to 1250mv on the high side to hit 1.7 frequency and 600 GPU but decreased from 950 to 900mv on the low side.
    4. Increased CPU voltage to 1240mv for 1.7 frequency but allows decreased 750mv in low side
    5. Increased GPU clock to 600 and pixclock increased (please let me know if you have problems on screen due to pixclock increase but so far no issues on testers)
    6. Built using gcc 4.5.2 ( I know, I'm an oldie)
    7. DVFS core table completely changed to allow max clock of host1x and pll_c and hit most max frequencies.
    8. Enable Thermal_Sys to throttle at 68 (BTW, if you are using system tuner, the reading is +10 as per secret)

Added 484 GPU and 520 GPU. LMK how it goes.

Link is below

Source in compliance with GPL :)

https://github.com/clemsyn/Grouper

IF YOU WANT THE UNDERVOLTED VERSION PLEASE SEE SECOND POST :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 09/23/2012

Releasing another 1.8ghzCPU and 650mhz GPU

Here are the differences with the last 650gpu

1. Used Linaro compiler
    2. Increased 3d/2d bus, pll_c, and host1x for higher scores
    3. Removed the pixclock overclock, This is running on default pixclock by Asus. This will limit the fps to 60 fps max, so old benchmarks will not score over 100 fps but will only max at 60. I suggest newer benchmarks like GL2.5 or Benchmark 2.0 ES Taiji...
    4. EMC voltage decreased to 1.100 mv (Not sure if your device can handle this but pinoyto's device was fine with it)

Here is the link

https://rapidshare.com/files/2462982943/1.8ghz650GPUNopix.zip

If you like my work, please click on Donate button on my Sig and add on to my Nexus 7 fund ;) Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 9/20/2012

*** SPECIAL RECOGNITION goes to PINOYTO for the first donation of this project. THANKS for rewarding my hard work!! ***

Thanks to masterg0g0 for 2nd donation ;)

Also thanks to all the testers of the 700mhz GPU.

This latest kernel comes with the 1.8ghz CPU and 700 GPU with 3 types of pixclocks.

First off is the max pixclock. This has the highest pixclock of all the kernels and will limit your fps to over 100 fps. The downside is the pink screen issue.

https://rapidshare.com/files/901768617/1.8ghz700GPUMAXPIXoc.zip

Second is the mid pixclock overclock. If you have a pink issue on the first one, try this. This will limit your fps to about 90 fps. The downside is you might still have a pink screen

https://rapidshare.com/files/4017246162/1.8ghz700GPUMEDPIXoc.zip

Third is the NO pixclock overclock. This for sure will have no pink issue but will limit your fps to about 65 fps.

https://rapidshare.com/files/258377771/1.8ghz700gpuNOPIXOC.zip

Here are the changes made from this latest kernels

1. GPU increased to 700 gpu, vcore and vrail voltages increased
    2. pll_c, host1x increased to accomodate the increase in GPU speed
    3. Compiled using Linaro toolchain.

WARNING:

The timings in this kernel are very aggressive, voltages although within Nvidia limits are high. Please make sure you backup and be very familiar in recovering your device.

IF YOU LIKE MY WORK, PLEASE CLICK on the "DONATE TO ME" BUTTON UNDER MY SIG TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION and ADD on to my "NEXUS 7 FUND". Your donation will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATED 8/17/2012

Overclocked to 1.8ghz with GPU at 650..WARNING THIS IS GOING TO GET HOT!!!

https://rapidshare.com/files/1034477848/Clemsyn1.8GPU650.zip

Pink fix

https://rapidshare.com/files/223841402/Clemsyn1.8GPU650Pinkfix.zip

Changes:

1. Temp limit increased to 70
    2. Voltages increased to accomodate 1.8ghz and 650 gpu

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if you like my work, please dont hesitate to click on the Donate button under my username. Thanks.
    Updated 8/23/2012

This new kernel is based upon what I believe is the best overclocking speed (1.5 ghz) and a cpu nominal voltage of 1.150mv and a core of 1.175 mv (core default is 1.2) while lowering the lowest voltage of 750mv and 900mv respectively. This kernel hits the max speeds of the GPU at 600 while utilizing the lower voltages to insure better battery life and less heat. Also pixclock has been decreased to minimize pink issues on the screen :) Again, this might not run on all Nexus 7 due to aggressive lowering of voltages. HAVE FUN!!
    Also make sure you have a backup and familiar with restoring your device.

BTW, if you like my work. Don't hesitate to DONATE and help me buy some diapers :) Thanks

Finally got the issue why most devices where not working right. Also was able to undervolt MORE because of this finding. Here are the changes

1. Vcore undervolted to 1.15 mv :) (default at 1.2) cpu mv at 1.15 mv running 1.5ghz
    2. pll_c decrease from maximum (this was what was causing all the issue)
    3. This kernel is set to 1.5ghz automatically. However if your ramdisk is programed to 1.3, then it boots to 1.3 intially. After pressing the power button once (or letting it sleep), it automatically resumes to 1.5 ghz without any CPU program.

I highly recommend that these settings be used for better battery life, LESS HEAT and power usage... Good for daily use :)

Here is the link

https://rapidshare.com/files/1026092132/Clemsyn1.5extremeUndervoltedFINAL.zip

BTW, if you like my work please show your appreciation and click on the Donations link under my signature. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 8/17/2012

OK, updated this version of the kernel to increase CPU Core to 1.2mv for some stability for some users...Here is the link

link deleted for latest version above

----------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------

This new kernel is based upon what I believe is the best overclocking speed (1.5 ghz) and a cpu nominal voltage of 1.150mv and a core of 1.175 mv (core default is 1.2) while lowering the lowest voltage of 750mv and 900mv respectively. This kernel hits the max speeds of the GPU at 600 while utilizing the lower voltages to insure better battery life and less heat. Also pixclock has been decreased to minimize pink issues on the screen :) Again, this might not run on all Nexus 7 due to aggressive lowering of voltages. HAVE FUN!!
    Also make sure you have a backup and familiar with restoring your device.

BTW, if you like my work. Don't hesitate to DONATE and help me buy some diapers :) Thanks
    Thanks to all the testers of 2ghz kernel. It seems like I would have to increase the vcore from 1.45 to the maximum of 1.5mv. This will disable the ability to go to bootloader from the ROM. Also that increase of vcore should help with the 725mhz GPU. I'll build one tomorrow, I'll apply the low pll_C voltage too. For now, homework with the kids ;)

Thread Closed

After getting several requests to close the thread, I have thought it over, and decided to close it, due to::
    a. No support from developer
    b. Broken links to files
    c. People flashing a 4.1x kernel on 4.2 resulting in bootloops.

PM's to the OP have gone unanswered, and no activity in the OP's account since last year. So it seems this project is abandoned.

If the OP wishes it to be unlocked, then contact me.

MD