Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos

Search This thread

alangrig

Oct 15, 2010
Riga
Same story from M7 continues with M8. Taking pictures in low light has red/blue/purple noise/tint.
Here is video sample:

HTC ONE M8 Camera Issue- Pink/Red Tint like M7: http://youtu.be/b2sdyGi7-NA

Here's screenshot:
rutu4u2y.jpg

You can clearly see on video and picture heat shielding starts degrading, thus parts of the heat transfers to sensor.

Mine M8 produced in May 2014, serial number HT45.
Sensor is Omnivision OV4688 4M.
You can check sensor via file manager, no root is required.
For example, in Solid explorer:
Choose System Root - Sys - android_camera - sensor - open as - Text file - SE TextEditor.

Please report if you anyone has such issue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
You got to be kidding me... The purple tint plagued my M7

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Darkseth

May 15, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
I do not have this Problem.
So, idk why people should not buy HTC phones.

As if any other Phone is perfectly without any known issues ;)
And no, having a definately Defect unit/device does NOT count as comparison or example.

Use your warranty, and let it repair / get exchanged for another device --> problem solved.
No magic unicorn will appear and fix it. Your camera sensor is defect, nothing more, nothing less. Thats what warranty is for.

Last edited:

HtcOneJon

Dec 5, 2013
Don't have this issue here and my phone gets HOT. This is also why we have warranties and insurance. Non htc phones break when dropped, run like crap, or have other issues like built like a mcdonalds toy.

This thread is a non issue in my book.

Reactions: Shebee

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
No issue here. If the M8 would have the same issue as the M7 did we would have heard of it by now from many more users. You just have bad luck I guess and got a bad unit.

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
It only happens when it's using an ISO of 3200.
When I set the ISO manually, even at 1600 there is no trace if it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: afhum

jmkhenka

Jun 1, 2009
This is a "issue" with GAIN. If you take ANY sensor and maximise the gain (ISO) you will get more noise and these artefacts.

Even my DSL has the same problem with 12800 iso and total black. There will be dots and stuff all over the image. Especially with noise reduction on low or even dissabled.

ISO is just a mather of removing more or less noise from the sensory data. Consider it a radio, maximising the volume will make it hum and other things, stuff that you wont notice with sensible volume/gain. Nothing is free of noise and camera sensors are analog and take in noise and IR-radiation esp if the phone is warm. You can prevent this noise appearing but then you get worse performance in Low SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) situation - like dark images.

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
Don't have this issue here and my phone gets HOT. This is also why we have warranties and insurance. Non htc phones break when dropped, run like crap, or have other issues like built like a mcdonalds toy.

Hahaha best forum post in a while!

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
This is a "issue" with GAIN. If you take ANY sensor and maximise the gain (ISO) you will get more noise and these artefacts.

Even my DSL has the same problem with 12800 iso and total black. There will be dots and stuff all over the image. Especially with noise reduction on low or even dissabled.

ISO is just a mather of removing more or less noise from the sensory data. Consider it a radio, maximising the volume will make it hum and other things, stuff that you wont notice with sensible volume/gain. Nothing is free of noise and camera sensors are analog and take in noise and IR-radiation esp if the phone is warm. You can prevent this noise appearing but then you get worse performance in Low SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) situation - like dark images.

What he said

as0k

Mar 2, 2011
Gothenburg
So is this an issue or not? :/
Last time i got my m7 replaced (about 3-4 months ago) this issue was fixed, so this problem would be gone with m8?

mohsinraza

Jul 24, 2011
This blue hue is in Galaxy S5 in very low light. Smartphone cameras have a limit. M7 had a genuine problem. M8 doesn't. Let's just STOP making up an issue when it isn't.

Sent from my HTC One

Attachments

• 1406676036512.jpg
    1406676036512.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 444

jirald

Aug 16, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Mine's ov4688 4m too (March 2014) got from Rogers(Canada) but doesn't have any issues at all...you should probably return yours mate and ask for another one

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do not have this Problem.
    So, idk why people should not buy HTC phones.

As if any other Phone is perfectly without any known issues ;)
    And no, having a definately Defect unit/device does NOT count as comparison or example.

Use your warranty, and let it repair / get exchanged for another device --> problem solved.
    No magic unicorn will appear and fix it. Your camera sensor is defect, nothing more, nothing less. Thats what warranty is for.

and thats why people..never buy htc phones

It only happens when it's using an ISO of 3200.
    When I set the ISO manually, even at 1600 there is no trace if it.