[Q] Buying g900h

Search This thread

rascal0pl

Dec 20, 2008
Hi, I want to buy g900h, because it has wolfson DAC.
But are there any custom kernels which are supporting this DAC (like voodoo sound for i9000 or boeffla audio from my current phone - i9300) ?
Difference in audio quality i huge (my dad have note 3 and my s3 have much much better audio quality).
I don't care about custom roms, I like S5 TW, the only thing which I need is wolfson supporting kernel with app like voodoo control or boeffla control.
Is there any?
Thanks!

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Hi, I want to buy g900h, because it has wolfson DAC.
But are there any custom kernels which are supporting this DAC

Nope. And not very likely to see many anytime fast either.

The 900H has the better DAC but it's also a niche model. It uses a different processor than the vast majority of S5 phones the world over. Which means that most developers don't own a 900H and consequently won't develop custom kernels for it. You can see that trend already, there are several dozen custom kernels for Qualcom models, but the last time I looked only one (allegedly still buggy) custom kernel for the 900H.

Probably given enough time, one will arise but it may be months or even years before you see it. IMO, a much better approach would be to get a Qualcom model and use an outboard (USB) DAC. That way you can avail yourself to even better DACs than the Wolfson and own a model that has much superior developer support and many custom kernels.

Also keep in mind how well your carrier supports the 900H or not if you wish to use it as a phone. i.e. does it have all of the frequency bands that your carrrier uses?

rascal0pl

Dec 20, 2008
Nope. And not very likely to see many anytime fast either.

The 900H has the better DAC but it's also a niche model. It uses a different processor than the vast majority of S5 phones the world over. Which means that most developers don't own a 900H and consequently won't develop custom kernels for it. You can see that trend already, there are several dozen custom kernels for Qualcom models, but the last time I looked only one (allegedly still buggy) custom kernel for the 900H.

Probably given enough time, one will arise but it may be months or even years before you see it. IMO, a much better approach would be to get a Qualcom model and use an outboard (USB) DAC. That way you can avail yourself to even better DACs than the Wolfson and own a model that has much superior developer support and many custom kernels.

Also keep in mind how well your carrier supports the 900H or not if you wish to use it as a phone. i.e. does it have all of the frequency bands that your carrrier uses?

but..
1. Audio volume, my headphones has high impedance, and stock volume is just MUCH MUCH to quiet (and no, replacing headphones is not a solution). S3 with maxed volume in boeffla is just ok. And like I said, I heard my dad's note 3, and audio quality is much worse than wolfson. Mobile phone is my primary audio player, so I need good quality audio..
2. Recording quality, I'm organizing parties and always recording video. S3 with mic sensitivity set to 1 recording better than video camera, no distortions at all with 20kW soundsystem, so how about qualcomm audio?
3. 3g and gsm freqs are matching in Poland. I don't care about LTE

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
You didn't give any indication that you even considered an outboard DAC. It's strange to ask for advice then not even consider it but you can do as you like.

The 900H has a better internal DAC but is hobbled by the lack of custom kernels, custom firmware and sparse developer support in general. If you are serious about sound look at some outboard DACs e.g. Focusrite Forte (or Scarlett 2I2 if you are on a tight budget).

rascal0pl

Dec 20, 2008
You didn't give any indication that you even considered an outboard DAC. It's strange to ask for advice then not even consider it but you can do as you like.

The 900H has a better internal DAC but is hobbled by the lack of custom kernels, custom firmware and sparse developer support in general. If you are serious about sound look at some outboard DACs e.g. Focusrite Forte (or Scarlett 2I2 if you are on a tight budget).

You know... I don't want to buy anything more, I want phone with good internal DAC (like this in s3 + I like TW UI), nothing more.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
All right. For an "all in one" solution, the 900H is the best handset that I am aware of simply by virtue of using the Wolfson DAC as the early iPod classics did. It's still a low bar IMO, but that is just my preference. For your stated goal, get the 900H. Just realize that custom kernels are likely to be slow arriving and few and far between.

Reactions: rascal0pl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All right. For an "all in one" solution, the 900H is the best handset that I am aware of simply by virtue of using the Wolfson DAC as the early iPod classics did. It's still a low bar IMO, but that is just my preference. For your stated goal, get the 900H. Just realize that custom kernels are likely to be slow arriving and few and far between.