microSD showing 0 capacity requires unmount/remount to fix

Search This thread

jarod004

Jun 25, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am experiencing an odd issue with my G PAD 8.3. It seems to randomly "appear" that the microSD is unmounted (when i check my filemanager, i am unable to enter /storage/external_SD... However, when I go to settings -> storage, the SD card is not exactly unmounted as I still have the Unmount SD card option still available. When I check the usage though its showing as 0GB. So what I do is, I unmount the SD from the settings menu, then remount it from the same menu thereafter. It will fix the issue, but after some time, it will again show as mounted but 0GB used.

My current setup is:
ROM: Slimkat 4.4.4 latest weekly build
Sdcard: 32 GB Sandisk

What I suspect is either of the following:
1. A bug with the ROM (since there isnt a stable release of Slimkat on the g pad)
2. An issue with the microSD. It might fail soon
3. An issue with one of the apps. Might be worth noting that I have foldermount installed on my tablet. since it is an application that mounts and unmounts directories from the microSD, perhaps this may cause the problem, though i havent seen anyone who have experienced a similar issue.

Any ideas what could cause this?

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Hello everyone,

I am experiencing an odd issue with my G PAD 8.3. It seems to randomly "appear" that the microSD is unmounted (when i check my filemanager, i am unable to enter /storage/external_SD... However, when I go to settings -> storage, the SD card is not exactly unmounted as I still have the Unmount SD card option still available. When I check the usage though its showing as 0GB. So what I do is, I unmount the SD from the settings menu, then remount it from the same menu thereafter. It will fix the issue, but after some time, it will again show as mounted but 0GB used.

My current setup is:
ROM: Slimkat 4.4.4 latest weekly build
Sdcard: 32 GB Sandisk

What I suspect is either of the following:
1. A bug with the ROM (since there isnt a stable release of Slimkat on the g pad)
2. An issue with the microSD. It might fail soon
3. An issue with one of the apps. Might be worth noting that I have foldermount installed on my tablet. since it is an application that mounts and unmounts directories from the microSD, perhaps this may cause the problem, though i havent seen anyone who have experienced a similar issue.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Lookup sandisk sdcard problems on google.
Sandisk was having issues with some of their cards. Pop in a different one to make sure its not the tablet.

jarod004

Jun 25, 2014
Lookup sandisk sdcard problems on google.
Sandisk was having issues with some of their cards. Pop in a different one to make sure its not the tablet.

Thanks mate, ill pop one right in when I find one lying around. I might also try to slow format to FAT32 and then format the card using the tablet and see if it helps.... Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue. Been googling around, and the closest things I can see are people that are having issues when their microSD randomly gets unmounted... in my case its not really unmounted, just showing capacity is 0 and after a umount/remount cycle, it works again then shows 0gb again after some time...

Thanks for your response.

MattNoir

Jun 29, 2011
Košice
LG G Pad 8.3
OnePlus X
Thanks mate, ill pop one right in when I find one lying around. I might also try to slow format to FAT32 and then format the card using the tablet and see if it helps.... Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue. Been googling around, and the closest things I can see are people that are having issues when their microSD randomly gets unmounted... in my case its not really unmounted, just showing capacity is 0 and after a umount/remount cycle, it works again then shows 0gb again after some time...

Thanks for your response.

Same issue here.
Slimkat v4.4.4 latest weekly build
SanDisk 32GB ultra class10

Not using that folder app and SD worked normally before slimkat so I assume it's rom bug, and it's sad and I'm thinking about going back to stock. And one more thing - installed SD monitor and SD unmounts on screen off and then remounts when you turn screen back on. As no problems were detected on stock kitkat I think it's another bug of slimkat. Where can I report it?

MattNoir

Jun 29, 2011
Košice
LG G Pad 8.3
OnePlus X
I trust sandisk more than anything, but this case was just coincidence. My problem was resolved, when I downgraded back to 4.2.2 stock and then I could do what I wanted, currently I have slimkat again and almost 24hours no unmounts :)