Few questions

Search This thread

HUYI

Dec 23, 2010
I'm interested in buying a GN 2014 but there is a few concerns;

If i buy one now and there is 4.4.2 pre installed can i downgrade the tablet to 4.3? Micro sd card support is very important to me i don't want kit kat, also Does the tablet auto update because i want to stay on 4.3.

How easy is it to root the device? Do you think i can buy a GN 2014 now and get 4.3 out of the box? What are my chances?

If i can't downgrade them i will take it back and go back to my original plan and get a laptop.

Also please don't say stay on 4.4.2 because kit kat is the reason I'm going back to laptops in the first place so please don't tell me to update to kit kat i don't want it.

Last edited:

parcou

Jun 7, 2008
TN
Just bought mine and it came with 4.4.2 and I root & custom rom all my devices but wish I would have asked like you or had more options...

1. Downgrade...from what I have read and you keep reading no one has a lower firmware for the device that I can OBIN. With that I might could get off 442 and go to a 412 or something so I can get a custom recovery for a newer rom

2. Root...bless this guy with 442 Towelroot was the only thing I could find to root mine...but that's all I can do: https://towelroot.com/

3. Getting one out the box that is something other than 4.3 will just be luck...who knows

My cell is a Note 3 on Beans rom so I was looking to custom my 2014 Tablet and hope that some love from a dev will come to the 442... I did not read like you I just like the Note's so I bought it...I still would have but hurt that I have to stay stock.

Hope this helps and maybe some others will add to this...

HUYI

Dec 23, 2010
Just bought mine and it came with 4.4.2 and I root & custom rom all my devices but wish I would have asked like you or had more options...

1. Downgrade...from what I have read and you keep reading no one has a lower firmware for the device that I can OBIN. With that I might could get off 442 and go to a 412 or something so I can get a custom recovery for a newer rom

2. Root...bless this guy with 442 Towelroot was the only thing I could find to root mine...but that's all I can do: https://towelroot.com/

3. Getting one out the box that is something other than 4.3 will just be luck...who knows

My cell is a Note 3 on Beans rom so I was looking to custom my 2014 Tablet and hope that some love from a dev will come to the 442... I did not read like you I just like the Note's so I bought it...I still would have but hurt that I have to stay stock.

Hope this helps and maybe some others will add to this...

so there is a high chance i will get 4.4.2 then :( maybe it's a good idea that i stick to buying a laptop then, it's always good to be informed of what you are buying before making a decision, i could never blindly buy a product without looking for issues.

anyways thanks for the help and reply.

iConstantinos

Jun 15, 2014
I got mine few days ago and it was in 4.3! I think that depends mostly from where are you gonna buy it.

By that l mean that l had mine from amazon imported from HK. I checked its date that was made and was in the January!

I think that if you plan to buy it from USA and looking from one that Verizon or T-mobile sells then you probably gonna meet Kit Kat because are considered to be the newest .

Anyway that's just a hypotheses.. As far auto-update is concerned mine (and generally I believe) it asks for permission !

Reactions: HUYI

HUYI

Dec 23, 2010
I got mine few days ago and it was in 4.3! I think that depends mostly from where are you gonna buy it.

By that l mean that l had mine from amazon imported from HK. I checked its date that was made and was in the January!

I think that if you plan to buy it from USA and looking from one that Verizon or T-mobile sells then you probably gonna meet Kit Kat because are considered to be the newest .

Anyway that's just a hypotheses.. As far auto-update is concerned mine (and generally I believe) it asks for permission !

Thanks for your reply but I'm more concerned about uk stock more than anything, i don't like the fact that some places have poor return policys if the box is opened that's why i need to be sure it's 4.3 out of the box.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Keep in mind that TowelRoot only works with the 3G/LTE version, not Wifi. For Wifi, there is CF-Root, but that will trip KNOX. If you don't care about KNOX tripping, then you're OK.

I am (impatiently) waiting for root for the Wifi version that won't trip KNOX.

HUYI

Dec 23, 2010
Keep in mind that TowelRoot only works with the 3G/LTE version, not Wifi. For Wifi, there is CF-Root, but that will trip KNOX. If you don't care about KNOX tripping, then you're OK.

I am (impatiently) waiting for root for the Wifi version that won't trip KNOX.

Hmm, i was looking into towelroot too, I've heard that tripping knox won't void warrenty but i know that won't be the case because Samsung wouldn't waste time putting knox on tablets in the first place if they want to keep an eye on things.

planetf1

Jan 25, 2010
I had a p600 from John Lewis on Friday and it was 4.3. No 4.4 update for btu yet. Frustrating for me, good for you...!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.