Google Play Store 4.8.20 Black Icons

Search This thread

Rasnak

Aug 9, 2014
Just another case

Hi... So I'm using the GSmart Sierra S1 from Gigabyte with MTK MT6589T and I've been experiencing this issue since the update to 4.8.20. At this point my phone was unrooted so it was the stock system which is pretty much the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 from google. Since then I rooted my phone and installed Xposed Framework, Gravity box and all those stuff but the issue is still there. I've also tried uninstalling updates, updating, cleaning data etc without any success. SO, If I'm right... rooting and modding does not cause this issue and has nothing to do with that.

cabrote

Apr 17, 2012
Buenos Aires
Hi... So I'm using the GSmart Sierra S1 from Gigabyte with MTK MT6589T and I've been experiencing this issue since the update to 4.8.20. At this point my phone was unrooted so it was the stock system which is pretty much the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 from google. Since then I rooted my phone and installed Xposed Framework, Gravity box and all those stuff but the issue is still there. I've also tried uninstalling updates, updating, cleaning data etc without any success. SO, If I'm right... rooting and modding does not cause this issue and has nothing to do with that.

Yes, agree. Nothing to do with any kind of pre-mod

xerxes76

Dec 11, 2007
Somewhat "funny": On my Lenovo Yoga I had NO issues with black icons with the 4.8.20 version of Play Store, but now with the new 4.9.13 it began. I searched an app and during scrolling through the list it suddenly changed!

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using XDA Free mobile app

Micheal Knight

Jun 27, 2009
I have the exact same problem. I have a brand new phone, Pestigio PAP7500.
All stock, minimal apps, no hax of any kind, black icons in the play store (4.9.13) and FB messenger.
Android 4.2.2.

Has google acknowledged this problem yet? Its only cosmetic but it looks super cheap and i'd like to have it fixed.

Last edited:

tiliarou

Oct 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ok, so by seeing the various replies, I would tend to exclude Xposed from the equation. It happens on stock roms, and it seems to be related to MTK (Mediatek) chips.
Anyway, this problem has to be solved by google or phone manufacturers (maybe even Mediatek by releasing a new driver or SDK component ?)
How can we alert google on this issue ??

Reactions: xerxes76

Micheal Knight

Jun 27, 2009
Ok, so by seeing the various replies, I would tend to exclude Xposed from the equation. It happens on stock roms, and it seems to be related to MTK (Mediatek) chips.
Anyway, this problem has to be solved by google or phone manufacturers (maybe even Mediatek by releasing a new driver or SDK component ?)

My phone manufacturer (Prestigio) has confirmed to me this is a bug in the FW that they are in fact aware of and going to iron out.
Maybe it is a good idea to contact yours?
Google insisted on contacting the Phone manufacturerer for all phones other then their Nexus devices and such, which makes sense in a way as they control neither the manufacturing process or the software malformations these companies ususally undertake.
It is up to the phone manufacturer to sort software issues out with Google if it indeed is a Android bug. (which for all intents and purposes it is)
If you are running some custom rom I would assume your best bet would be to contact that party or revert to the stock rom.

OmnioPT

Jun 22, 2012
Lisbon
It's not an exposed problem. Neither a stock rom problem. Last week I tried a miui rom (v5) on my thl w200 and the black icons still there...

androidmeda

Dec 16, 2010
Manila
The transparency is fixed with KK Rom... At least mine was. But that didn't fix the other issue where even with a very generous amount of free disk space, version 4.9+ Play Store will report that there's an insufficient amount of space. I might just forget about MTK roms altogether. I'm even getting another weird issue where gps would turn on all of a sudden while on data. This was on JB, too.

cabrote

Apr 17, 2012
Buenos Aires
The transparency is fixed with KK Rom... At least mine was. But that didn't fix the other issue where even with a very generous amount of free disk space, version 4.9+ Play Store will report that there's an insufficient amount of space. I might just forget about MTK roms altogether. I'm even getting another weird issue where gps would turn on all of a sudden while on data. This was on JB, too.

I own a star s7189 I dont event know how to contact manufacter

kekazoh

Feb 28, 2013
Same error in my zopo 910 tried with almost every ROM out there. The problem is still there :S
There are no KK ROMS available yet (i think) so I can't try with that. I have now the lastest update from play store [5.0] and the icons are still on black background. It's annoying. I keep thinking is an MTK problem, not the phone manufacturer.

cheaterel

Feb 4, 2012
Same problem with gsmart maya m1 v2 on Google play 5

Sent from my GSmart Maya M1 v2 using Tapatalk

I.nfraR.ed

May 9, 2013
Sofia
It's not a PlayStore problem, it's a buggy libskia library (probably something else affected, too).
It's a 2D graphics library that deals with png transparency, filters, antialiasing, etc.
It seems all 4.2.x mediatek roms come from a common source. Maybe if we can find a MTK 4.2.x rom without this problem, we can replace the affected libraries.

I may try to recompile it from source for API 17, but can't guarantee it.
Not sure if it possible to compile it for MTK devices without the full source code.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's not a PlayStore problem, it's a buggy libskia library (probably something else affected, too).
    It's a 2D graphics library that deals with png transparency, filters, antialiasing, etc.
    It seems all 4.2.x mediatek roms come from a common source. Maybe if we can find a MTK 4.2.x rom without this problem, we can replace the affected libraries.

I may try to recompile it from source for API 17, but can't guarantee it.
    Not sure if it possible to compile it for MTK devices without the full source code.
    I am pretty sure it's the new webP image format that Facebook and Google are using. It's not supported by these apps on mtk chips. I am attaching Screenshots where it says webP is good for png files with transparent regions!

Yes, but I can't find how to fix it. Everything regarding WEBP in frameworks of my AOSP rom and the MIUI I tested is the same.
    I will keep trying when I have time though.
    Hi.
    What is now the version of the current Playstore on your wife's phone?
    Thks.

5.1.11 :) and hit thanks instead of saying. i am whole day helping others but no one hit thanks ? my rom is been downloaded more than 10 thousands times but still i have 270 thanks ?? :(
    Just tested some MIUI rom for A820 and there's no problem in PlayStore. Tried to replace various libs, but no luck.
    Maybe it's somewhere in the framework.
    Same happening here on my device too running 4.2.2 :( did some one report it to Google? :confused: