[I9023][REF] All OTA and Available Full ROM Packages

Search This thread

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE CEASED UPDATING THIS THEAD.

The old information contained below will remain for posterity, but will no longer be updated. From this point forward, all updates to this information will be found at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware/nexus-s
Below is a list of all available OTA and full ROM packages for the Nexus S, model I9023.

THIS IS FOR I9023 ONLY. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER VARIANT, PLEASE FIND THE THREAD FOR YOUR VARIANT.

Typical disclaimer where I tell you that all of this stuff is at your own risk and I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone, yadda yadda.

These updates are 100% stock and are NOT rooted.

HOW TO FLASH

I'm not giving instructions on how to flash ZIP files or fastboot images. If you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be looking for stuff in this thread. There are plenty of threads on how to flash fastboot images or how to flash zips through recovery. Do a little reading before proceeding.

The recovery-flashable full ROM packages will only flash if your phone has no ROM, any custom ROM, or a stock ROM that's older than the version you're trying to flash. For instance, the 2.3.4 full ROM package will flash over the stock 2.3.3 ROM, but not over the stock 2.3.6 ROM.

With fastboot images, you can flash any version over any other version.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET AN ERROR WHILE FLASHING?

If you get an error flashing a recovery-flashable full ROM package, it means that you are running a stock ROM that's newer than the version you're trying to flash. If you're trying to downgrade, then you must install ClockworkMod recovery, then wipe system, boot, data, cache, and Dalvik cache. You will then be able to flash the older version. Optionally, you can also flash fastboot images of a version older than the version you're trying to flash.

If you get an error flashing an incremental update, it means one of four things. Either you don't have an I9023, you aren't running a stock ROM, you have changed something with your stock ROM (this includes build.prop changes, radio or bootloader changes as well), or you're running Android 4.X and trying to update manually. These incremental updates only work if you are running a completely, perfectly stock ROM exactly the way Google provides it, with the right radio and the right bootloader. There are no exceptions to this rule. Furthermore, Android 4.X ROMs can no longer be updated manually in stock recovery. See below.

A NOTE ABOUT ANDROID 4.X OTAs

Beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich, Google has made a change to stock recovery that prevents you from flashing future OTA updates manually. Instead you are now required to wait for the OTA notification on your phone and then tap "Reboot and Install."

If this pisses you off, you have the option of unlocking your bootloader, installing either a stock Gingerbread recovery or ClockworkMod recovery, and then flashing the OTA updates manually.

LATEST VERSION

The latest Android version available for I9023 is Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.0.4, build IMM76D.

BUILD REFERENCE

GRI40 - Android 2.3.3
GRI54 - Android 2.3.3
GRJ22 - Android 2.3.4
GRK39F - Android 2.3.6
IML74K - Android 4.0.3
IMM76D - Android 4.0.4

FULL ROMS

FASTBOOT IMAGES

If you're comfortable with fastboot, you can flash these images to return your phone back to raw stock.

Generally the best way to do this is to perform the following steps:

Put all six fastboot images in one folder, unlock your bootloader, perform the fastboot flashes, then lock the bootloader:

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

FLASHING FASTBOOT IMAGES WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR PHONE'S DATA AND WILL RETURN YOU TO A FACTORY STOCK, UNROOTED STATE.

Android 2.3.3/GRI40/XXKB1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
Official factory fastboot images, must be flashed using fastboot on an unlocked bootloader. Contains recovery, radio, and bootloader.
THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9023XXKA3 OR I9023XXKL1

Android 2.3.3/GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
Official factory fastboot images, must be flashed using fastboot on an unlocked bootloader. Contains recovery, radio, and bootloader.

Android 2.3.4/GRJ22/XXKD1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader

Android 4.0.4/IMM76D/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader
THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9023XXKA3, OR I9023XXKL1

RECOVERY-FLASHABLE ROMS

Official, signed, can flash with ClockworkMod or stock recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Unofficial, unsigned, must flash through ClockworkMod Recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Official, signed, can flash with ClockworkMod or stock recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader

Android 4.0.3/IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader

Unofficial, unsigned, must flash through ClockworkMod recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.
Courtesy of XDA forum member kibmcz.

INCREMENTAL UPDATES

The links provided here are to Google's official update package for each version. Sometimes Google provides a small incremental update package for upgrading between versions, other times they just provide full ROM packages for bigger version upgrades. For instance, Google pushed a small incremental update to upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6. If your phone was running 2.3.1, there is no 2.3.1 to 2.3.6 incremental update, so Google would push the 2.3.6 full ROM package.

If you don't see an upgrade path from your version to your desired version, it means you need to use a full ROM package above instead.

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI40/XXKB1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
2.3.3 (GRI40) -> 2.3.4

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
Neither of these following OTA updates actually work. Both of them require an unknown radio, and will fail if you try to flash them on a phone running 2.3.3/GRI54 with the XXKB3 baseband. The 2.3.3->2.3.4 update has since been pulled by Google and the link is only provided here for posterity and reference. The only way to properly update 2.3.3/GRI54 is to flash a full ROM over it.

2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 2.3.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)
2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 4.0.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)

Android 2.3.4 (Build GRJ22/XXKD1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
2.3.4 -> 2.3.6
2.3.4 -> 4.0.4

Android 2.3.6 (Build GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
2.3.6 -> 4.0.3
2.3.6 -> 4.0.4

Android 4.0.3 (Build IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader)
4.0.3 -> 4.0.4

Last edited:

Marc.

Dec 10, 2010
There is no dangers with this? And would the battery be that bad with incremental update to 4.0.3?

Send with my Nexus S.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
There is no dangers with this? And would the battery be that bad with incremental update to 4.0.3?

Send with my Nexus S.

Please read the first post. These are the updates directly from Google. No matter if you use the full or incremental update, you will end up with the same ROM in the end.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

MrXelerate

Aug 27, 2011

Hello i need help, i need to unroot the device and i have i9023 GRI54

which is currently not available if any one can provide me the stock zip to flash through cwm so ill be able to go back to factory device (unrooted)

Thanks & Regards,

MrXelerate

Aug 27, 2011
Why do you need GRI54? Is there some reason you need to run 2.3.3 instead of 2.3.6 or 4.0.3?

This device came with Android 2.3.3/GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader. To get the warranty back i need to unroot the device with stock recovery and after that ill lock the bootloader. If any other updated verion of stock rom can get warranty back then it will also help, kindly tell which one should i flash.

Thanks

Last edited:

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
This device came with Android 2.3.3/GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader. To get the warranty back i need to unroot the device with stock recovery and after that ill lock the bootloader. If any other updated verion of stock rom can get warranty back then it will also help, kindly tell which one should i flash.

Thanks

These are all official over-the-air updates from Google. Flashing any of these will not void your warranty, and they'll all unroot the device since they're stock.

Reactions: MrXelerate

Azure465

Dec 21, 2007
The Android 4.0.3/IML74K is exactly the same file as for the i9020t right?

MrXelerate

Aug 27, 2011
These are all official over-the-air updates from Google. Flashing any of these will not void your warranty, and they'll all unroot the device since they're stock.

Like if i flash this Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
So it will also get me back to stock device + ill get the warranty back? and they will never know about the device that it was ever rooted?..

Actually im new to android and im loving it, im a little confused about Radio thing.. like i currenty have XXKB3 and the firmware that is listed above ^ is having XXKF1, will this create any conflict? i mean if i have waited for OTA update from google, so i would have got the same update 2.3.6 with XXKF1 Radio? and it would also have the same build number GRK39F instead of GRI54?

Thanks

Last edited:

naimhack

Dec 9, 2011
Hi if i install this for my Nexus si9023 did i update via OTA?
my is rooted
i want to install this file ZD3PyN0t.zip

Lazer Bear

Dec 21, 2011
Like if i flash this Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
So it will also get me back to stock device + ill get the warranty back? and they will never know about the device that it was ever rooted?..

Actually im new to android and im loving it, im a little confused about Radio thing.. like i currenty have XXKB3 and the firmware that is listed above ^ is having XXKF1, will this create any conflict? i mean if i have waited for OTA update from google, so i would have got the same update 2.3.6 with XXKF1 Radio? and it would also have the same build number GRK39F instead of GRI54?

Thanks

To be clear, you are not getting the warranty "back". You are tricking customer support into thinking you never voided your warranty by flashing a custom ROM. I hope you understand the difference.

Anyways, flashing any of the files in this thread will bring you back to stock. That means stock radio, bootloader and build. However, it will be still necessary to lock the bootloader (fastboot oem lock), otherwise it's pretty easy to see that you've tinkered with the device.

As for your second question, the builds above are the official builds from Google. If you have the i9023 (easily recognizable by the SLCD screen) these are the builds that you would get with OTA. Don't look at all the build/radio/bootloader names, they usually change with each new version.

naimhack said:
Hi if i install this for my Nexus si9023 did i update via OTA?
my is rooted

I think I understand you are asking if you will still receive OTA updates after flashing any of the above files. If so, the answer is yes.
You will loose root by flashing any of the above, though.

Reactions: MrXelerate

alen1901

Jan 29, 2011
Ok, 1 question. What if i flash 4.0.3, can i flash back to 2.3.6? Because i read somewhere that this could be tricky to do, you can mess up your phone. Is that true?

Sent from my GT-I5800

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Ok, 1 question. What if i flash 4.0.3, can i flash back to 2.3.6? Because i read somewhere that this could be tricky to do, you can mess up your phone. Is that true?

Sent from my GT-I5800

Yes you can flash back. You would have to unlock your bootloader (which will wipe all your data), and then install ClockworkMod recovery.

Go into CWM recovery, wipe data, cache (you MUST wipe data and cache if you're downgrading), wipe Dalvik, system and boot as well. Once you've done that, you can flash the full 2.3.6 ROM package from the original post.

Reactions: alen1901

s199531

Jan 18, 2012
hi...i using 2.3.3 , baseband i9023XXKB3, build GRI54 , plan to upgrade to ICS..
what should i do if i wish to provide this ROM to u as u menton, Still need ROMs for:

TomTom++

Jan 18, 2012
original GRI54 ROM

First of all, thanks for this useful thread!

I'd also like to know how to grab the original stock ROM from my Nexus S (I9023, Android 2.3.3, GRI54) just in case I wanted to revert my phone back to its original state. I know 2.3.6 is better than 2.3.3 but maybe I will need it for any reason in the future. My problem is, that if I unlock the bootloader (in order to install Clockwork recovery), I will loose my current configuration (apps, settings, etc.) since the /data partition will be wiped. And the original stock recovery will also be gone once I install Clockwork.

So my question is: can I boot into Clockwork recovery without flashing it to the recovery partition in order to access its backup feature, so that I can make a full backup of my original (current) system? Of course, the bootloader is still locked, so the real question is whether I can use a command like this with a locked bootloader:

fastboot boot recovery.img

I think it should work because this won't modify the system since I only boot the custom recovery.

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I HAVE CEASED UPDATING THIS THEAD.

The old information contained below will remain for posterity, but will no longer be updated. From this point forward, all updates to this information will be found at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware/nexus-s
    Below is a list of all available OTA and full ROM packages for the Nexus S, model I9023.

THIS IS FOR I9023 ONLY. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER VARIANT, PLEASE FIND THE THREAD FOR YOUR VARIANT.

Typical disclaimer where I tell you that all of this stuff is at your own risk and I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone, yadda yadda.

These updates are 100% stock and are NOT rooted.

HOW TO FLASH

I'm not giving instructions on how to flash ZIP files or fastboot images. If you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be looking for stuff in this thread. There are plenty of threads on how to flash fastboot images or how to flash zips through recovery. Do a little reading before proceeding.

The recovery-flashable full ROM packages will only flash if your phone has no ROM, any custom ROM, or a stock ROM that's older than the version you're trying to flash. For instance, the 2.3.4 full ROM package will flash over the stock 2.3.3 ROM, but not over the stock 2.3.6 ROM.

With fastboot images, you can flash any version over any other version.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET AN ERROR WHILE FLASHING?

If you get an error flashing a recovery-flashable full ROM package, it means that you are running a stock ROM that's newer than the version you're trying to flash. If you're trying to downgrade, then you must install ClockworkMod recovery, then wipe system, boot, data, cache, and Dalvik cache. You will then be able to flash the older version. Optionally, you can also flash fastboot images of a version older than the version you're trying to flash.

If you get an error flashing an incremental update, it means one of four things. Either you don't have an I9023, you aren't running a stock ROM, you have changed something with your stock ROM (this includes build.prop changes, radio or bootloader changes as well), or you're running Android 4.X and trying to update manually. These incremental updates only work if you are running a completely, perfectly stock ROM exactly the way Google provides it, with the right radio and the right bootloader. There are no exceptions to this rule. Furthermore, Android 4.X ROMs can no longer be updated manually in stock recovery. See below.

A NOTE ABOUT ANDROID 4.X OTAs

Beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich, Google has made a change to stock recovery that prevents you from flashing future OTA updates manually. Instead you are now required to wait for the OTA notification on your phone and then tap "Reboot and Install."

If this pisses you off, you have the option of unlocking your bootloader, installing either a stock Gingerbread recovery or ClockworkMod recovery, and then flashing the OTA updates manually.

LATEST VERSION

The latest Android version available for I9023 is Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.0.4, build IMM76D.

BUILD REFERENCE

GRI40 - Android 2.3.3
    GRI54 - Android 2.3.3
    GRJ22 - Android 2.3.4
    GRK39F - Android 2.3.6
    IML74K - Android 4.0.3
    IMM76D - Android 4.0.4

FULL ROMS

FASTBOOT IMAGES

If you're comfortable with fastboot, you can flash these images to return your phone back to raw stock.

Generally the best way to do this is to perform the following steps:

Put all six fastboot images in one folder, unlock your bootloader, perform the fastboot flashes, then lock the bootloader:

fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem lock

FLASHING FASTBOOT IMAGES WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR PHONE'S DATA AND WILL RETURN YOU TO A FACTORY STOCK, UNROOTED STATE.

THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9023XXKA3, OR I9023XXKL1

RECOVERY-FLASHABLE ROMS

Unofficial, unsigned, must flash through ClockworkMod Recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader

Android 4.0.3/IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader

Unofficial, unsigned, must flash through ClockworkMod recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.
    Courtesy of XDA forum member kibmcz.

INCREMENTAL UPDATES

The links provided here are to Google's official update package for each version. Sometimes Google provides a small incremental update package for upgrading between versions, other times they just provide full ROM packages for bigger version upgrades. For instance, Google pushed a small incremental update to upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6. If your phone was running 2.3.1, there is no 2.3.1 to 2.3.6 incremental update, so Google would push the 2.3.6 full ROM package.

If you don't see an upgrade path from your version to your desired version, it means you need to use a full ROM package above instead.

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI40/XXKB1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    2.3.3 (GRI40) -> 2.3.4

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    Neither of these following OTA updates actually work. Both of them require an unknown radio, and will fail if you try to flash them on a phone running 2.3.3/GRI54 with the XXKB3 baseband. The 2.3.3->2.3.4 update has since been pulled by Google and the link is only provided here for posterity and reference. The only way to properly update 2.3.3/GRI54 is to flash a full ROM over it.

2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 2.3.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)
    2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 4.0.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)

Android 2.3.4 (Build GRJ22/XXKD1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    2.3.4 -> 2.3.6
    2.3.4 -> 4.0.4

Android 2.3.6 (Build GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    2.3.6 -> 4.0.3
    2.3.6 -> 4.0.4

Android 4.0.3 (Build IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader)
    4.0.3 -> 4.0.4
    Well guys the Nexus S has been an amazing phone for me, but I have moved on to the Galaxy Nexus. I will still be keeping these stock images threads up to date for the remainder of the Nexus S' OTA life cycle. I know these threads have helped a lot of people so it's the least I can do to help a community of people who are so passionate about such a great device. Cheers!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    OK so we still need the 4.0.4 update link for 2.3.3 (GRI40). That's the only one left that we don't have. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
    I've added 2.3.3/GRI40 links for I9023. I was not aware that GRI40 ever shipped on I9023, but since some of you say it did, I added the stuff. Flash at your own risk.

Thanks