LifeProof Defective Battery Door

Search This thread

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
For anyone out there who are currently using or have used the LifeProof Fre; did you ever have any problems with the battery door cracking? I, just last week, received my second case from a warranty claim in under a year. Both times, my battery door has suddenly had a very tiny horizontal crack right at the bend just under the snap. The first time I was kinda worried that the crack may have been from a drop I had almost 2 months prior. There was no visible damage and the only way I knew something was wrong was that when closing the door, I no longer heard the familiar snap. The 2nd time I noticed the door had cracked I had been able to decidedly rule out any type of drop being the cause. The only visible signs of anything were normal wear and tear (small scratches on the back plastic from putting in and taking out of pockets), and on the sides where I had removed the case twice before.

Anyway, I was just curious how many others have had this happen to them. I would assume quite a few as mine cracked for almost literally no reason at all.

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
For anyone out there who are currently using or have used the LifeProof Fre; did you ever have any problems with the battery door cracking? I, just last week, received my second case from a warranty claim in under a year. Both times, my battery door has suddenly had a very tiny horizontal crack right at the bend just under the snap. The first time I was kinda worried that the crack may have been from a drop I had almost 2 months prior. There was no visible damage and the only way I knew something was wrong was that when closing the door, I no longer heard the familiar snap. The 2nd time I noticed the door had cracked I had been able to decidedly rule out any type of drop being the cause. The only visible signs of anything were normal wear and tear (small scratches on the back plastic from putting in and taking out of pockets), and on the sides where I had removed the case twice before.

Anyway, I was just curious how many others have had this happen to them. I would assume quite a few as mine cracked for almost literally no reason at all.

Here's the thing, for reasons I can't figure out the build materials for the iPhone Lifeproof cases and the Galaxy Lifeproof cases are not the same. I've owned and held and inspected the iPhone 5 version and the Galaxy S4 Fre. My iPhone 5 case lasted for a SOLID YEAR without any issues whatsoever. The Galaxy Fre case had the charging port door shatter/chip for nothing but normal use. No drops. I had three replacements within a 2.5 month time period when I finally just said screw it and abandoned the brand. If they would make the build materials the same I think it would last and be wonderful, and I still definitely recommend the Lifeproof case IF you have an iPhone. If you have a Galaxy avoid avoid avoid. I think I've read that better options are the Seidio Obex.

Reactions: lordcheeto03

mojito13

Aug 8, 2014
Here's the thing, for reasons I can't figure out the build materials for the iPhone Lifeproof cases and the Galaxy Lifeproof cases are not the same. I've owned and held and inspected the iPhone 5 version and the Galaxy S4 Fre. My iPhone 5 case lasted for a SOLID YEAR without any issues whatsoever. The Galaxy Fre case had the charging port door shatter/chip for nothing but normal use. No drops. I had three replacements within a 2.5 month time period when I finally just said screw it and abandoned the brand. If they would make the build materials the same I think it would last and be wonderful, and I still definitely recommend the Lifeproof case IF you have an iPhone. If you have a Galaxy avoid avoid avoid. I think I've read that better options are the Seidio Obex.

This. I used to work at a store that sold them and I would often have to open the packaging to show people what it looks/feels like. Definitely noticed a difference.

Reactions: lordcheeto03

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This. I used to work at a store that sold them and I would often have to open the packaging to show people what it looks/feels like. Definitely noticed a difference.

Thanks for the replies. The only reason I'm still using the LifeProof is that they send me another free case when it breaks. I most certainly wouldn't still be using it if I had to keep paying full price for another. :D I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem. You would think that there would be more reports on this, but I haven't seen mention of it on this site...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There were when I was using LifeProof a few months ago...