[Q] How to install ROM from internal storage?

Search This thread

j111

Sep 17, 2013
I'm going to install a new ROM for the first time, planning to install Wicked.

For installing a ROM, I understand you are free to do it from the internal or external storage - you just need to find the file from the recovery's file manager. No problem.

HOWEVER, instructions for this (and many ROMs I've read about) tell you to do a "full wipe" (data, cache and dalvik).

Does this mean I can't (shouldn't) install from internal storage? Or, what are the consequences of not wiping the data partition? Can it be wiped after somehow loading the ROM file?

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

For installing a ROM, I understand you are free to do it from the internal or external storage - you just need to find the file from the recovery's file manager. No problem.

HOWEVER, instructions for this (and many ROMs I've read about) tell you to do a "full wipe" (data, cache and dalvik).

Does this mean I can't (shouldn't) install from internal storage? Or, what are the consequences of not wiping the data partition? Can it be wiped after somehow loading the ROM file?

A "full" wipe isn't exactly a full wipe. You wipe system, data, and cache. While it's true that your internal SD card is on the /data partition, it is untouched by the wipe data function. As far as consequences to not wiping data... all sorts of problems can crop up if you don't wipe it; especially if you're moving between different ROMs (i.e. going from stock TouchWiz to an AOSP variant) or different versions of Android like 4.2.2 to 4.3, etc. If you're going from, say Wicked V9 to Wicked V10, it shouldn't be a problem to leave data intact because it's still Android 4.3. Wicked V8 to Wicked V9 would likely require a data wipe because it's going from 4.2.2 to 4.3.

Reactions: j111

j111

Sep 17, 2013
A "full" wipe isn't exactly a full wipe...While it's true that your internal SD card is on the /data partition, it is untouched by the wipe data function

Thanks. So the internal sdcard is not wiped by the data wipe? Is it possible to ask for the details of what the data wipe does in exact terms? Sounds like it doesn't do any formatting, so it must do a delete (rm -rf) of certain directories? Any idea which ones and which ones it leaves alone?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks. So the internal sdcard is not wiped by the data wipe? Is it possible to ask for the details of what the data wipe does in exact terms? Sounds like it doesn't do any formatting, so it must do a delete (rm -rf) of certain directories? Any idea which ones and which ones it leaves alone?

It wipes the userdata partition, and others, there's like 30 different partitions. This partition is where your apps and app data is stored. It does not wipe the sdcard partition which is your internal sdcard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Reactions: lordcheeto03

j111

Sep 17, 2013
I see. So what data is stored on the internal sdcard partition? Is this the file system that you see by default when you connect to a computer via USB (MTC)? Where pics are stored and whatnot...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A "full" wipe isn't exactly a full wipe. You wipe system, data, and cache. While it's true that your internal SD card is on the /data partition, it is untouched by the wipe data function. As far as consequences to not wiping data... all sorts of problems can crop up if you don't wipe it; especially if you're moving between different ROMs (i.e. going from stock TouchWiz to an AOSP variant) or different versions of Android like 4.2.2 to 4.3, etc. If you're going from, say Wicked V9 to Wicked V10, it shouldn't be a problem to leave data intact because it's still Android 4.3. Wicked V8 to Wicked V9 would likely require a data wipe because it's going from 4.2.2 to 4.3.

It wipes the userdata partition, and others, there's like 30 different partitions. This partition is where your apps and app data is stored. It does not wipe the sdcard partition which is your internal sdcard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    j111;50555364Is this the file system that you see by default when you connect to a computer via USB (MTC)? Where pics are stored and whatnot...[/QUOTE said: