[APP][4.0+] Forum Fiend

Search This thread

bastecklein

Nov 19, 2009
Overland Park
www.bastecklein.com
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ape.apps.forumfiend

So I am the developer of a little known Tapatalk alternative forum reader called Forum Fiend. The app has come a long way since I released it last fall. The reason for my post is that I have noticed XDA is the #3 site accessed through Forum Fiend, so there might be a couple of users around here. Was wondering if people could share their issues with the app or provide feedback on how to make it better. My goal is to provide a fully functional and superior forum browsing experience vs Tapatalk.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forum Fiend v1.2.5.

Update 20150112 - v1.3.1
  • Addressed bugs from Google Play error console
  • Added "Timeline" view and start page option
  • Added the ability to rename servers on the main screen
  • Improved server-detection methods
  • Removed old unused libraries
  • Forum owners can now collect Google Analytics data through Forum Fiend
  • Forum owners can now use their own Mobfox ad banners to monitize through Forum Fiend

Update 20141217 - v1.3
  • All new theme settings screen with real-time preview
  • Added quick reply on post pages
  • Brought post pagination stuff out of the menus/actionbar
  • Can now customize the forum start page
  • Active Users sidebar can now be turned off for tablets
  • Inbox/Mail layout updates
  • Layout updates to sliding drawer menu
  • Added support for https servers
  • Now supports Android v2.3 Gingerbread devices
  • Added Material theme support
  • Bug fixes

Update 20141128 - v1.2.14
  • Slight layout changes
  • Bug fixes

Update 20141123 - v1.2.13.1
  • Quick bugfix release for Lollipop devices

Update 20141122 - v1.2.13
  • Increased mail service timer again to further reduce server loads
  • Slight theme changes
  • Added a circle border around user avatars

Update 20141111 - v1.2.12
  • Theme updates for Lollipop devices
  • Other random slight theme updates

Update 20140930 - v1.2.11
  • Bug fixes

Update 20140829 - v1.2.10
  • Increased the mail service timer to reduce loads on servers
  • Added Meme Maker! :)
  • Added user online status indicator to posts
  • Slight layout rearrangments on posts and topics
  • Slight layout changes to Chat screen
  • Added the option to save post pictures to SD card

Update 20140803 - v1.2.9
  • App now renders smileys :)
  • Added support for
    Code:
     tag
    [*]Added a views indicator for topics
    [*]Added 'Open in Browser' and 'Share Topic' options for phpBB systems
    [*]App now handles file attachments
    [/LIST]

[B]Update 20140609 - v1.2.8[/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]New Theme Options - Forum theme options have been greatly expanded.  You can now alter the accent color, background color, text color, forum element color/visibility, forum wallpaper, and turn on/off forum icons/avatars.
    [*]App can now be installed/moved to SD card
    [*]Kit Kat(+) devices now tint the status and nav bars with forum theme color
    [*]Added Favorites list (bookmarks) for forums.
    [*]Added more functionality to forums viewed in the Web View (non-tapatalk forums)
    [*]Various bug fixes
    [/LIST]

[B]Update 20140507 - v1.2.7[/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Non-Tapatalk forums can now be added to the app.  If you enter a URL that does not work with Tapa, the app will ask if you want to use the forum in a WebView instead.
    [*]Added a post preview option to the new posts screen.  Also added a select all, and a clear all feature.  Find them by pressing the menu button on the new post screen.
    [*]Various other bug fixes and layout updates
    [/LIST]

[B]Update 20140430 - v1.2.6[/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]You can now add a direct link on the homescreen to any of your forums.  It will behave just like having a stand alone forum app, completely bypassing the forum listing screen.  This required the Install Shortcut permission.
    [*]Forum elements now have sort of a shaded box theme to them.  I think it looks a little nicer, but if people don't like it I can revert back to the old look, or make it optional.
    [*]Got rid of the cartoon looking default avatar icon.
    [*]Improvements to post link, quote, and other BB code handling.
    [*]Forum topics listing now has an infinite scroll (at least until there are no topics left), kind of like the news feeds in Facebook and Twitter apps
    [*]The left slideout menu has been rearranged and now contains navigation links such as forum index, subscriptions, unread topics, etc
    [*]Added a quick popup tip on how to log in when you enter a forum as a guest
    [*]Changed the language on the forum listing screen input box to make it more apparent that a URL is the required input
    [*]Forum settings have been moved out of the sliding menu and on to their own screen.
    [/LIST]

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 18, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I just tried it and it's a good start. It needs some work like labelling. Right now, it's just a box with the word "Add". Need a tutorial or something to guide the user into what or how to get into a forum. Right now, I had to guess and put the entire web address in the box. The key at the bottom needs a label. Even something as simple as "login" or something. I'm no IT/Tech expert but I can get around and figure stuff out. Not everyone is tech savvy so they need a little guidance.

Need a way to access favorite forums. XDA, for example, is a large forum. People don't like to scroll through every phone or tablet to find their forum.

Hopefully, this helps a little. I don't want to sound critical but these are things you need to know.

Taptalk is the gold standard right now but I like competition so good luck.

bastecklein

Nov 19, 2009
Overland Park
www.bastecklein.com
tube517 said:
I just tried it and it's a good start. It needs some work like labelling. Right now, it's just a box with the word "Add". Need a tutorial or something to guide the user into what or how to get into a forum. Right now, I had to guess and put the entire web address in the box. The key at the bottom needs a label. Even something as simple as "login" or something. I'm no IT/Tech expert but I can get around and figure stuff out. Not everyone is tech savvy so they need a little guidance.

Need a way to access favorite forums. XDA, for example, is a large forum. People don't like to scroll through every phone or tablet to find their forum.

Hopefully, this helps a little. I don't want to sound critical but these are things you need to know.

Taptalk is the gold standard right now but I like competition so good luck.

THANK YOU this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forum Fiend v1.2.5.

Jesellers88

Nov 19, 2013
California
I've been looking for something to replace Tapatalk, and I've looked at FF a few times. Figuring out how to get a forum loaded was confusing. The only way I figured out how to get on to XDA was happening to see it on the Play Store pictures. Logging in was a bit awkward too. When I saw the key at the top, I figured it was a link to purchase a pro version or something.

Most of all though, the look of it kept me from switching over. It feels dated. From the default cartoon avatars before logging in to a forum and icons, to the font and colors, it just feels a little off, although the action bar looks fine. I also feel like the slide out navigation is sort of wasted on the settings menu and active users, neither of which I use much. They might be better suited for faster navigation, search, showing subscribed forums/topics.

The number 1 reason, though, that I am looking for a Tapatalk replacement is the ability to bypass the forum selection page since I only use XDA. If it could detect that only one forum is present and automatically enter that one when opening the app, that would be legit.

Sorry to seem like I was going on and on. I think it has good potential, and some easy-ish fixes can make a world difference.

Reactions: bastecklein

bastecklein

Nov 19, 2009
Overland Park
www.bastecklein.com
I've been looking for something to replace Tapatalk, and I've looked at FF a few times. Figuring out how to get a forum loaded was confusing. The only way I figured out how to get on to XDA was happening to see it on the Play Store pictures. Logging in was a bit awkward too. When I saw the key at the top, I figured it was a link to purchase a pro version or something.

Most of all though, the look of it kept me from switching over. It feels dated. From the default cartoon avatars before logging in to a forum and icons, to the font and colors, it just feels a little off, although the action bar looks fine. I also feel like the slide out navigation is sort of wasted on the settings menu and active users, neither of which I use much. They might be better suited for faster navigation, search, showing subscribed forums/topics.

The number 1 reason, though, that I am looking for a Tapatalk replacement is the ability to bypass the forum selection page since I only use XDA. If it could detect that only one forum is present and automatically enter that one when opening the app, that would be legit.

Sorry to seem like I was going on and on. I think it has good potential, and some easy-ish fixes can make a world difference.

Thanks, this is good feedback. I have read other comments in the market also saying the interface looks dated, but I am not entirely sure what a more modern interface looks like. Do you consider the general look and feel of Tapatalk to be a good example of modern, that I can use as a guide to work off of?

As for automatically going to a specific forum, that would certainly be easy to add. I was thinking of letting users place icons for their specific forums on their homescreen, so they could launch each forum just as they would a stand alone app. They would probably be widgets technically, but could look just like a normal app icon.

starkly_raving

May 25, 2012
Vegas
Thanks, this is good feedback. I have read other comments in the market also saying the interface looks dated, but I am not entirely sure what a more modern interface looks like. Do you consider the general look and feel of Tapatalk to be a good example of modern, that I can use as a guide to work off of?

As for automatically going to a specific forum, that would certainly be easy to add. I was thinking of letting users place icons for their specific forums on their homescreen, so they could launch each forum just as they would a stand alone app. They would probably be widgets technically, but could look just like a normal app icon.

A holo interface would be nice keeping in time with current Google design and the majority of apps that currently being published.

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phyrene

moorkai

Aug 7, 2012
I appreciate the fact you asked for the voice of community. I guess it's somewhat vital for application's life, if anything else for gaining people's attention. Anyway, first thing I noticed when I installed Forum Fiend (yeah, I installed Forum Fiend now for the first time) was the fact that you need to manually enter forum server's URL. It's not a major PITA, but perhaps it would be nicer if it was done the Tapatalk way. The design is quite up-to-date IMHO, but as Jesellers88 said, default icons are cute, but kind of unprofessional, I'm afraid.

Also, BBCode support is a quite handy feature which Tapatalk does not offer (kudos!), but a full-fledged editor with preview, code and other stuff depending on what each forum allows would be even better, though Tapatalk offers nothing.

To summarize: Forum Fiend is quite a nice application, but above mentioned suggestions (mine and from others in this thread) would bring it to perfection, I suppose. This post was intended to be a constructive critique and in no manner something intended to offend your work. I'm not an application developer or anything alike so this is my two cents ;).

bastecklein

Nov 19, 2009
Overland Park
www.bastecklein.com
Can you pleae explain what else is tracked and how?

Yes sure, I use Google Analytics to track page views, and also I track an event each time a server connection is made (server URL only, no other information is tracked).

I also send server connection information (again, URL only) to a database at my website, so that in the future I can implement a "most popular" forums section.

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
I see someone saw my comment. ;)

Thank you thank you thank you. I can't stand the Tapatalk app. You have my thanks and full support!

bastecklein

Nov 19, 2009
Overland Park
www.bastecklein.com
I appreciate the fact you asked for the voice of community. I guess it's somewhat vital for application's life, if anything else for gaining people's attention. Anyway, first thing I noticed when I installed Forum Fiend (yeah, I installed Forum Fiend now for the first time) was the fact that you need to manually enter forum server's URL. It's not a major PITA, but perhaps it would be nicer if it was done the Tapatalk way. The design is quite up-to-date IMHO, but as Jesellers88 said, default icons are cute, but kind of unprofessional, I'm afraid.

Also, BBCode support is a quite handy feature which Tapatalk does not offer (kudos!), but a full-fledged editor with preview, code and other stuff depending on what each forum allows would be even better, though Tapatalk offers nothing.

To summarize: Forum Fiend is quite a nice application, but above mentioned suggestions (mine and from others in this thread) would bring it to perfection, I suppose. This post was intended to be a constructive critique and in no manner something intended to offend your work. I'm not an application developer or anything alike so this is my two cents ;).

Thanks for the feedback. A preview mode for the BBCode editor would certainly be easy to accomplish, so I will probably be adding that in there.

The primary reason I do not have a forum listing/browsing option like Tapa, is that I do not have access to Tapa's massive forum database (at least, not that I know of). I agree that it sucks having to manually type in the server address though. To try to somewhat get around this, I have been logging which servers are being accessed from the app (server address only, no personal info), and plan on adding a "most popular servers" list, or some other way to browse. It is the best I can come up with for the time being though :-/ If anybody has suggestions on better ways to implement this though, I am open to any ideas!

bastecklein

Nov 19, 2009
Overland Park
www.bastecklein.com
I see someone saw my comment. ;)

Thank you thank you thank you. I can't stand the Tapatalk app. You have my thanks and full support!

Thanks. The reason I started this project, and the reason I lost faith in Tapatalk, is because I had previously bought their "pro" app. Then they downgraded it to a free app and released another paid pro version. I wanted something that works without getting nickeled and dimed!

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
Thanks. The reason I started this project, and the reason I lost faith in Tapatalk, is because I had previously bought their "pro" app. Then they downgraded it to a free app and released another paid pro version. I wanted something that works without getting nickeled and dimed!

I don't mind paying if it works. Tapatalk is awful.

Reactions: defim

unstab1e1199

Oct 24, 2013
Definitely need some sort of tutorial. Like how do I go about subscribing to a thread?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ape.apps.forumfiend

So I am the developer of a little known Tapatalk alternative forum reader called Forum Fiend. The app has come a long way since I released it last fall. The reason for my post is that I have noticed XDA is the #3 site accessed through Forum Fiend, so there might be a couple of users around here. Was wondering if people could share their issues with the app or provide feedback on how to make it better. My goal is to provide a fully functional and superior forum browsing experience vs Tapatalk.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forum Fiend v1.2.5.

Update 20150112 - v1.3.1
    • Added "Timeline" view and start page option
    • Added the ability to rename servers on the main screen
    • Improved server-detection methods
    • Removed old unused libraries
    • Forum owners can now collect Google Analytics data through Forum Fiend
    • Forum owners can now use their own Mobfox ad banners to monitize through Forum Fiend

Update 20141217 - v1.3
    • All new theme settings screen with real-time preview
    • Added quick reply on post pages
    • Brought post pagination stuff out of the menus/actionbar
    • Can now customize the forum start page
    • Active Users sidebar can now be turned off for tablets
    • Inbox/Mail layout updates
    • Layout updates to sliding drawer menu
    • Added support for https servers
    • Now supports Android v2.3 Gingerbread devices
    • Added Material theme support
    • Bug fixes

Update 20141128 - v1.2.14
    • Slight layout changes
    • Bug fixes

Update 20141123 - v1.2.13.1
    • Quick bugfix release for Lollipop devices

Update 20141122 - v1.2.13
    • Increased mail service timer again to further reduce server loads
    • Slight theme changes
    • Added a circle border around user avatars

Update 20141111 - v1.2.12
    • Theme updates for Lollipop devices
    • Other random slight theme updates

Update 20140930 - v1.2.11
    • Bug fixes

Update 20140829 - v1.2.10
    • Increased the mail service timer to reduce loads on servers
    • Added Meme Maker! :)
    • Added user online status indicator to posts
    • Slight layout rearrangments on posts and topics
    • Slight layout changes to Chat screen
    • Added the option to save post pictures to SD card

Update 20140803 - v1.2.9
    • App now renders smileys :)
    • Added support for
      Code:
       tag
      [*]Added a views indicator for topics
      [*]Added 'Open in Browser' and 'Share Topic' options for phpBB systems
      [*]App now handles file attachments
      [/LIST]

[B]Update 20140609 - v1.2.8[/B]
      [LIST]
      [*]New Theme Options - Forum theme options have been greatly expanded.  You can now alter the accent color, background color, text color, forum element color/visibility, forum wallpaper, and turn on/off forum icons/avatars.
      [*]App can now be installed/moved to SD card
      [*]Kit Kat(+) devices now tint the status and nav bars with forum theme color
      [*]Added Favorites list (bookmarks) for forums.
      [*]Added more functionality to forums viewed in the Web View (non-tapatalk forums)
      [*]Various bug fixes
      [/LIST]

[B]Update 20140507 - v1.2.7[/B]
      [LIST]
      [*]Non-Tapatalk forums can now be added to the app.  If you enter a URL that does not work with Tapa, the app will ask if you want to use the forum in a WebView instead.
      [*]Added a post preview option to the new posts screen.  Also added a select all, and a clear all feature.  Find them by pressing the menu button on the new post screen.
      [*]Various other bug fixes and layout updates
      [/LIST]

[B]Update 20140430 - v1.2.6[/B]
      [LIST]
      [*]You can now add a direct link on the homescreen to any of your forums.  It will behave just like having a stand alone forum app, completely bypassing the forum listing screen.  This required the Install Shortcut permission.
      [*]Forum elements now have sort of a shaded box theme to them.  I think it looks a little nicer, but if people don't like it I can revert back to the old look, or make it optional.
      [*]Got rid of the cartoon looking default avatar icon.
      [*]Improvements to post link, quote, and other BB code handling.
      [*]Forum topics listing now has an infinite scroll (at least until there are no topics left), kind of like the news feeds in Facebook and Twitter apps
      [*]The left slideout menu has been rearranged and now contains navigation links such as forum index, subscriptions, unread topics, etc
      [*]Added a quick popup tip on how to log in when you enter a forum as a guest
      [*]Changed the language on the forum listing screen input box to make it more apparent that a URL is the required input
      [*]Forum settings have been moved out of the sliding menu and on to their own screen.
      [/LIST]
    Moving to Open Source

Just a heads up to everyone here who is interested in Forum Fiend. There are some changes coming soon to the project that you should be aware of, including transitioning the app to an open source model. See my blog for info on this:

http://blog.forumfiend.net/2015/02/forum-fiend-to-go-open-source.html
    On what grounds?
    Can you post the letter on your blog or forum?

As promised, I have posted the letter they have sent me on my blog:

http://www.bastecklein.com/2015/03/cease-and-desist.html
    I've just posted an update to Forum Fiend that includes some bug fixes and a few more of your suggestions. Changes include:

• Non-Tapatalk forums can now be added to the app. If you enter a URL that does not work with Tapa, the app will ask if you want to use the forum in a WebView instead.
    • Added a post preview option to the new posts screen. Also added a select all, and a clear all feature. Find them by pressing the menu button on the new post screen.
    • Various other bug fixes and layout updates

There is a full changelog within the app. I still have more of your suggestions to implement, so keep them coming. I will try to post new updates on a weekly basis (sooner if there are major bugs found). I think the next items on my list will be to add support for the xenforo conversation-style inbox system, and the ability to select which page is the default start page for each forum (index,inbox,subscriptions, etc). From there I will move on down the list of suggestions until I get the app right. Thanks again for your suggestions and support!
    Forum Fiend is officially dead.

Just got my cease and desist letter from Tapatalk, Inc. I'll probably comply vs trying to fight it. Its been a good run though .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forum Fiend v1.3.4.