help me understand the frequency options

Search This thread

gcbxda

Jan 5, 2009
California
the general thread lists the models and it frequencies, and then list the operators and the used frequencies... but the wikipedia table also has "LTE bands" which are not mentioned anywhere.

what are those about?

Also, i can't see a sinlge model from that wiki table that matches all frequencies on the AT&T/T-Mobile line...

my main goal is to use them on both of those network, which is conveniently on the same line on the general thread :), and not have a dead weight when traveling.

i'm sure i'm missing something obvious here, as not even the models market for a certain operator lists all the frequencies listed for that operator...

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
the general thread lists the models and it frequencies, and then list the operators and the used frequencies... but the wikipedia table also has "LTE bands" which are not mentioned anywhere.

what are those about?

Also, i can't see a sinlge model from that wiki table that matches all frequencies on the AT&T/T-Mobile line...

my main goal is to use them on both of those network, which is conveniently on the same line on the general thread :), and not have a dead weight when traveling.

i'm sure i'm missing something obvious here, as not even the models market for a certain operator lists all the frequencies listed for that operator...

Its a trade-off no matter what you do.

If you want the most LTE bands, then go with the XT1058 ROGERS variant, which is SIM-Unlocked for any provider. As shown on the wikipedia list, each model number DOES support the bands shown, but certain individual carrier variants may be SIM-locked (AT&T IS - Don't get that one...), or have different 'bloat' software installed.

If you want the most UMTS bands (think HSPA, HSPA+), then go with the XT1053 T-Mobile variant

All the versions support the 4 GSM bands, so calling and 2g data will be consistent no matter which model you get (other than the SIM-Locked variants).

Hope this helps.

PS: LTE band info here: http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php This will show you which frequency corresponds to each band.

EDIT: If you only plan on using AT&T and T-Mobile, DEFINITELY get the T-Mobile variant. It is SIM-unlocked, supports all frequency bands currently deployed in the U.S. by both AT&T -AND- T-Mobile.

If you were to get the Rogers version (or other XT1058), you would completely lose the AWS band which T-Mobile uses extensively. The two additional LTE bands the XT1058 supports over the XT1053 aren't even deployed in the US as of now.

Reactions: gcbxda

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Be careful when looking at the Wikipedia table. It shows the Republic Wireless as supporting some GSM bands that those in the RW thread say it doesn't.. and the link to the FCC doc is really the SPRINT model, not RW. I'm not sure what other issues their might be.

If you want one single phone to use on BOTH att and T-Mo, get the GSM Developer Edition, or the GSM UNlocked (comes with T-Mobile SIM) from Moto Maker.

They support the following bands (per Moto web site, which might not be updated to reflect possible changes in more recent firmwares)...

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS/HSPA: 850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)
LTE: 700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

If you have T-Mobile, the HSPA on AWS is important to get H/H+ in areas T-Mobile hasn't yet refarmed their 1900Mhz spectrum. No other X supports H/H+ on AWS that T-mobile uses.

The GSM Unlocked and Dev Edition will work with ATT's GSM/EDGE/GPRS/HSPA and LTE networks as it supports the necessary bands. There are two extra LTE bands the ATT branded X supports, however they were originally only used outside the USA. Reports are that ATT might start using one of them in the USA, but as of yet you wont notice it with the GSM Unlocked or GSM Dev Edition phones on ATT.

If you are going "non-contract" check the prices. If the Moto Maker and the Developer Edition are the same price, consider the Dev Edition if you want root, as unlocking the bootloader on the Moto Maker and Retail versions voids the warranty, where was unlocking the bootloader on the Dev Edition doesn't. Only difference would be the appearance. You can't customize the look of the Dev Edition, it comes as black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and ring around camera). But you can get a case to cover it, or use dbrand skins (I have no affiliation with dbrand, just saw it suggested by others on the forum here, so its worth a shot).

Reactions: gcbxda

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Be careful when looking at the Wikipedia table. It shows the Republic Wireless as supporting some GSM bands that those in the RW thread say it doesn't.. and the link to the FCC doc is really the SPRINT model, not RW. I'm not sure what other issues their might be.

If you want one single phone to use on BOTH att and T-Mo, get the GSM Developer Edition, or the GSM UNlocked (comes with T-Mobile SIM) from Moto Maker.

They support the following bands (per Moto web site, which might not be updated to reflect possible changes in more recent firmwares)...

If you have T-Mobile, the HSPA on AWS is important to get H/H+ in areas T-Mobile hasn't yet refarmed their 1900Mhz spectrum. No other X supports H/H+ on AWS that T-mobile uses.

The GSM Unlocked and Dev Edition will work with ATT's GSM/EDGE/GPRS/HSPA and LTE networks as it supports the necessary bands. There are two extra LTE bands the ATT branded X supports, however they were originally only used outside the USA. Reports are that ATT might start using one of them in the USA, but as of yet you wont notice it with the GSM Unlocked or GSM Dev Edition phones on ATT.

If you are going "non-contract" check the prices. If the Moto Maker and the Developer Edition are the same price, consider the Dev Edition if you want root, as unlocking the bootloader on the Moto Maker and Retail versions voids the warranty, where was unlocking the bootloader on the Dev Edition doesn't. Only difference would be the appearance. You can't customize the look of the Dev Edition, it comes as black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and ring around camera). But you can get a case to cover it, or use dbrand skins (I have no affiliation with dbrand, just saw it suggested by others on the forum here, so its worth a shot).

The Republic Wireless and Sprint variants are exactly the same. The both support the 4 GSM bands - wikipedia is correct.

The reason the FCC ID links to the sprint version, is because the RW version *IS THE SAME*

I'm looking at my RW Moto X box, and it lists the SAME FCC ID as the Sprint model....just as wikipedia shows.

The only difference is that the RW version has custom firmware for wifi calling, and unlike Sprint, who -sometimes- allows SIM unlock if you meet their criteria, RW will NEVER OTA-Sim-unlock their phones.

They both are using the same SIM-LOCK trickery, however. If we find an exploit to sim-unlock the Sprint variant, it WILL work on the RW version, enabling the GSM bands.

Was my reply not sufficient? You basically said exactly the same thing I did...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

what are those about?

Its a trade-off no matter what you do.

If you want the most LTE bands, then go with the XT1058 ROGERS variant, which is SIM-Unlocked for any provider. As shown on the wikipedia list, each model number DOES support the bands shown, but certain individual carrier variants may be SIM-locked (AT&T IS - Don't get that one...), or have different 'bloat' software installed.

If you want the most UMTS bands (think HSPA, HSPA+), then go with the XT1053 T-Mobile variant

All the versions support the 4 GSM bands, so calling and 2g data will be consistent no matter which model you get (other than the SIM-Locked variants).

Hope this helps.

PS: LTE band info here: http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php This will show you which frequency corresponds to each band.

EDIT: If you only plan on using AT&T and T-Mobile, DEFINITELY get the T-Mobile variant. It is SIM-unlocked, supports all frequency bands currently deployed in the U.S. by both AT&T -AND- T-Mobile.

If you were to get the Rogers version (or other XT1058), you would completely lose the AWS band which T-Mobile uses extensively. The two additional LTE bands the XT1058 supports over the XT1053 aren't even deployed in the US as of now.