I'm now a happy owner of T-Mobile S5..Coming from AT&T

Search This thread

Christopher3712

Oct 2, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I got lucky and found a guy on craigslist that had an extra T-Mo S5 that he wanted to trade for an AT&T version (for work). He wasn't aware that he could just unlock his phone and I surely didn't tell him. I got a brand new in the box S5 that I happily rooted and modified like crazy and he got my 1 month old G900A. It was the best trade I ever made. Luckily, I didn't have to go through the provisioning that you did (since my SIM was already provisioned for LTE). I didn't realize exactly how much I missed root until I got it back. It's great to be able to do whatever you want. I'm happy for you.

Reactions: chrispyutec

chrispyutec

Apr 6, 2011
Tyler, Texas
I got lucky and found a guy on craigslist that had an extra T-Mo S5 that he wanted to trade for an AT&T version (for work). He wasn't aware that he could just unlock his phone and I surely didn't tell him. I got a brand new in the box S5 that I happily rooted and modified like crazy and he got my 1 month old G900A. It was the best trade I ever made. Luckily, I didn't have to go through the provisioning that you did (since my SIM was already provisioned for LTE). I didn't realize exactly how much I missed root until I got it back. It's great to be able to do whatever you want. I'm happy for you.

That's an awesome trade in imo. I bet you are now a happy camper like I am. Yeah it sucks to be locked down. Happy flashing and tweaking to ya. See ya later AT&T while we go do what WE want to OUR phones that WE paid for!

ozziedog

Jul 14, 2010
Dallas
You do have to get if provisioned. I took my TMO into the store to get a SIMS and they scanned my phone IMEI and blocked LTE......no matter what APN I used. Had to call in and give them a different IMEI and my SIMS number. After that all is good. If I wasn't coming from the M8 which has a nano SIM, I could have just swapped SIMS and been good to go.

Hope that makes since.

I'm also on AT&T and have S5 on order from BestBuy I'm coming from S4. The Samsung Rep at BestBuy told me all I had to do was unlock the sim and then use my present AT&T sim and all would be good since I already have LTE for S4. We shall see when it gets here. I hope AT&T doesn't block LTE but I wouldn't put anything past the swines:)

chrispyutec

Apr 6, 2011
Tyler, Texas
I'm also on AT&T and have S5 on order from BestBuy I'm coming from S4. The Samsung Rep at BestBuy told me all I had to do was unlock the sim and then use my present AT&T sim and all would be good since I already have LTE for S4. We shall see when it gets here. I hope AT&T doesn't block LTE but I wouldn't put anything past the swines:)

You will be fine just swapping your SIM out being that the S5 will be the same size as the S4 SIM. What created my problem was that I was coming from the HTC One M8 which has the nano SIM. I had to go into the store and get a SIM for my S5 because obviously the M8 wouldn't fit in the S5 and when the AT&T person scanned my bar code on the inside of my s5 it came up as T-Mobile hardware.

With a few tricks over a few phone calls I got it squared away.....Long story short, you will be fine. And welcome to the wonderful world of the S5!!!

Reactions: ozziedog

jdk2

You will be fine just swapping your SIM out being that the S5 will be the same size as the S4 SIM. What created my problem was that I was coming from the HTC One M8 which has the nano SIM. I had to go into the store and get a SIM for my S5 because obviously the M8 wouldn't fit in the S5 and when the AT&T person scanned my bar code on the inside of my s5 it came up as T-Mobile hardware.

With a few tricks over a few phone calls I got it squared away.....Long story short, you will be fine. And welcome to the wonderful world of the S5!!!
Stupid question but does the phone still need to be sim unlocked prior to putting the AT&T sim in the phone?

rfb813

May 15, 2012
Winter Garden, FL

You can buy an adaptor for an nano sim to work in a micro sim phone. When I was in Switzerland I went to get a local sim card for my S4. All the sim card they had at the time were nano sims so they just gave me a nano sim with adaptor and I installed it. Worked perfectly. Go to Best Buy or another electronics store they should have it.

stevey500

Dec 30, 2009
Only issue I ran into was provisioning my SIMS for LTE to work on AT&T network.

Sorry for wasting space, but man this is a happy day for me and I just had to share it.

I am planning on ordering a t-mobile S5 for AT&T as well, t-mobile has zero coverage in my most common adventures in Utah backpacking/camping,etc.

With an unlocked simtray, does at least H+ 4G work? I can go without LTE coverage until I device to hassle with them like you did to provision the sim properly.

Thanks!

chrispyutec

Apr 6, 2011
Tyler, Texas
I am planning on ordering a t-mobile S5 for AT&T as well, t-mobile has zero coverage in my most common adventures in Utah backpacking/camping,etc.

With an unlocked simtray, does at least H+ 4G work? I can go without LTE coverage until I device to hassle with them like you did to provision the sim properly.

Thanks!

You will still get LTE. You will have to manually input the AT&T APN settings. Just don't go into a AT&T store with the T-Mobile phone and tell them you need a new sims card. They will scan your T-Mobile phone and it will automatically pull up as a non LTE phone. This is what happened to me. I would suggest going to an authorized AT&T store or keosk and have them do it because they don't care. You will have to pay like 20 or 25 bucks if going to an authorized dealer though.

I eventually got mine provisioned correctly after giving them the numbers from another phone for AT&T.

Hope this is clear as mud now lol!!!

spirodave

Mar 3, 2014
Saint Louis missouri
This is honestly the best combo. Tmobile phone that runs on att. I just want tmobile to fix their data speeds (non LTE) and I'll be extremely happy.
I guess you mean the HSPA+ 21 and 42 ? I see pretty consistent speeds here in saint louis . Between 6 to 12 Mbps. I guess coverage really varies from state to state but here in saint louis Tmobile 4g is pretty solid and is one of the reasons I stayed with them until they released Lte here. What kind of speeds are getting in your area? Just curious

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Just thought I would waste some space and let everyone know that I'm now a proud owner of a T-Mobile S5 coming from a locked down AT&T S5. I had the AT&T S5 and could NOT stand being locked down. I ended up returning it for an M8 simply because it wasn't locked down. I had the M8 for 5 days and I just didn't like it. I traded the M8 for my TMO S5 and it was the best phone trade I have ever done. I have owned every Samsung phone and will continue to own nothing but Samsung from this day forward......only TMO's of course or at least until they lock theirs down too.

Only issue I ran into was provisioning my SIMS for LTE to work on AT&T network. These AT&T phone Reps are either stupid or act stupid. They probably just act stupid so they want have to tell you the truth when provisioning SIMS because they don't want other carrier phones on their network. Anyway, I talked with 3 different reps and got nowhere with provisioning my SIMS. Long story short, I finally got them to provision my SIMS correctly by telling them my phone went bad and that my wife was nice enough to let me use her AT&T S5. So they ended up provisioning it by using her IMEI#. Now I'm all good to go and VERY HAPPY to be the proud owner of a TMO S5.

Sorry for wasting space, but man this is a happy day for me and I just had to share it.
Yeah I had a Att S4 I was using on tmobile for about 2 months and couldn't take it any longer. No custom kernels or Aosp with the BS locked bootloader. From what im hearing the Tmobile G3 had a locked bootloader that has since been hacked and can now have custom recoveries . Supposedly the hack could unlock other devices too. Im not sure if it has been officially realeased for all devices yet but it gives hope for other devices in the future

CybrJ

Apr 21, 2009
After running my AT&T S5 on T-Mobile for a few months, I decided to trade it out for the T-Mobile S5. I'm glad to be rid of the AT&T version of this phone but I'm not sure the SM-G900T is any less of a headache in trying to root/TWRP. Knox looks to be such a pain in the long run that I am strongly thinking of eating the restock fee and going with something like an HTC One (M8) or something equivalent that is easier to customize.

Last edited:

gspears

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix
Well I just got my unlock code for my TMO S5 and unlocked it, put the SIM from my G900A in, and copied the APN from the G900A and it seems to work. I'm only showing 4G on the TMO stock rom. I'm going to put Omega Rom on it as soon as I can get it rooted. I got 58.5 down and 9.83 up at work on the G900A so I hope it will be the same. Should I be seeing 4G LTE on the stock rom? Any other tweaks or mods I should do? BTW I got my unlock code from swift unlock and they only charged 19.99 so it was definitely worth it. I wish we could unlock it for free but such is life. Besides the network unlock code, they sent and unfreeze code, provider code and sub provider code. Anybody know what those are for? I mean the network unlock is self explanatory but I have no idea what the others are for.

Thanks for the help!

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Well I just got my unlock code for my TMO S5 and unlocked it, put the SIM from my G900A in, and copied the APN from the G900A and it seems to work. I'm only showing 4G on the TMO stock rom. I'm going to put Omega Rom on it as soon as I can get it rooted. I got 58.5 down and 9.83 up at work on the G900A so I hope it will be the same. Should I be seeing 4G LTE on the stock rom? Any other tweaks or mods I should do? BTW I got my unlock code from swift unlock and they only charged 19.99 so it was definitely worth it. I wish we could unlock it for free but such is life. Besides the network unlock code, they sent and unfreeze code, provider code and sub provider code. Anybody know what those are for? I mean the network unlock is self explanatory but I have no idea what the others are for.

Thanks for the help!
No idea what those are. Google is your friend there. But yes, if you put the right APN you should get LTE on the stock ROM.

Reactions: gspears

gspears

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix
No idea what those are. Google is your friend there. But yes, if you put the right APN you should get LTE on the stock ROM.

Thanks aooga. With the TMO modem and Omega rom I got 58 down and about 8 up here at work where I'm right next to a cell. That's what I was getting before with the 900A.

Thanks!

gspears

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix
Looks like this thread needs some love. Omega Version 8 is out and works great on my TMO S5 on AT&T with Omega's kernel and keeping the modem (baseband) from NG3.

It's a great combination is anyone is looking to get the most out of their TMO S5 on AT&T. And the Aroma installer on Omega ROM lets you decide what bloatware you want to install on the phone.

bonaduce754

Apr 21, 2013
Miami
From AT&T to T-Mobile

Hi There,

I've done the same and so far so good, except that I still have AT&T Sim card (employer number) and after unlocked the S5 from T-Mobile the AT&T SIM didn't work and it was exchanged to a new one which worked! Sadly I was told by AT&T that I won't be able to get 4G LTE in the USA just 4G, is this right? Is there any way around this? T-Mobile SIM gets 4G LTE!

Congrats and thanks!

Just thought I would waste some space and let everyone know that I'm now a proud owner of a T-Mobile S5 coming from a locked down AT&T S5. I had the AT&T S5 and could NOT stand being locked down. I ended up returning it for an M8 simply because it wasn't locked down. I had the M8 for 5 days and I just didn't like it. I traded the M8 for my TMO S5 and it was the best phone trade I have ever done. I have owned every Samsung phone and will continue to own nothing but Samsung from this day forward......only TMO's of course or at least until they lock theirs down too.

Only issue I ran into was provisioning my SIMS for LTE to work on AT&T network. These AT&T phone Reps are either stupid or act stupid. They probably just act stupid so they want have to tell you the truth when provisioning SIMS because they don't want other carrier phones on their network. Anyway, I talked with 3 different reps and got nowhere with provisioning my SIMS. Long story short, I finally got them to provision my SIMS correctly by telling them my phone went bad and that my wife was nice enough to let me use her AT&T S5. So they ended up provisioning it by using her IMEI#. Now I'm all good to go and VERY HAPPY to be the proud owner of a TMO S5.

gspears

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix
I won't be able to get 4G LTE in the USA just 4G, is this right?

That is NOT correct. The TMO covers all the frequencies and channels that the AT&T model does plus more for TMO. I have a TMO S5 on AT&T and at work I was able to get 58 down. 4G cannot do that.

I think the problem is that you took the TMO phone to AT&T. You need to borrow an AT&T phone, put your SIM card in it and take it to AT&T and make sure your account is set up for and receiving 4G LTE. Then put the SIM back in your phone and all will be well.

I had a similar issue coming from an international phone where they had my account restricted to 4G and I could only get about 13 down.

So go fight with them and good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is honestly the best combo. Tmobile phone that runs on att. I just want tmobile to fix their data speeds (non LTE) and I'll be extremely happy.
    Welcome to the fun side! i also had the att s5 and wheeled and dealed that locked up SOB and now happily Flashing away to my little hearts desire.

I had LTE right off the bat though with a new SIM card and the unlock code i purchased. Happy to hear you are up and running. I highly recommend giving project infinity a go, sweeeeeet ROM.
    You got a screenie you could share?

Thanks,

Here's the link

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2767660

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk