Anyone excited about Galaxy S5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

modyt

Mar 11, 2013
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
MWC is starting in a couple of days and if tradition is followed, Samsung shall launch the next Galaxy soon.

Too many reports suggest that the latest device shall have a whole different UI, fingerprint sensor in the home button, 16mp camera and also a new LED flash module.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the features in action. Agreed, the development on Sammy devices sucks, specially Exynos, but hey, I can't deny the fact that they make the best phones too.

What say you?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

The-Kevster

Nov 2, 2007
London, UK
No it's not useless!

To be honest I'm getting tired of the yearly releases for the sake of it. From the leaks it looks like the S5 will have a qHD screen, fingerprint reader, and the usual upgraded processor and ram. Probably a 64 bit OS but if you know a bit about 32/64bit you'll know it's pointless and just for marketing.

The fingerprint reader is also pointless. Again Samsung are doing it just because apple did and don't have access to the same quality solution. The iPhone solution works really well. Which pains me to say. But Sammy's swipe solution is just going to take longer to unlock and is the same fad that laptops went through 5 years ago. Only business laptops come with fingerprint readers nowadays.

Lastly is the OS. I don't feel that Samsung adds any value with their touchwiz extras. My phone has had Cyanogenmod installed from about 3 months in and I've started to think it's going the way of touchwiz and not adding any value.

I'm running the Nexus 5 ROM with xposed and that gives me all the features and modifications I need. Xposed is the real game changer here. The only problem is the stability. The S4 running a Nexus 5 ROM is never going to be as stable as the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 is a faster device then the S4 and the battery life is far, far better. I now have one as my work phone and part of me is hoping the S5 doesn't have any ground breaking features that makes me want it. I'll then buy a Nexus 5 and lower my mobile contract saving some money in the process.

The Nexus 5 may not have a qHD display but within 6-9 months the Nexus 6 will with a more mature processor and better battery life. Until the Galaxy has a bleeding edge feature I don't see the point in having a bleeding edge device. And it doesn't look like the S5 will :(

Last edited:
Reactions: difyel

POLO_i780

Jun 15, 2008
^ You know there's a diff between qHD and QHD right? qHD is quarter-HD while QHD is Quad-HD, the S5 may have the latter IF rumors are true.

Anyway...

I'm very excited, I'm going to get it in either March or April, looking forward to the new UI, Camera and Exynos CPU, I'm also looking forward to a new design, I hope it's a stunner (fingers crossed).

Will use my GS4 as a 2nd line when I get my GS5. :)

EclipseX

May 29, 2007
Quinta do Conde
I think this time I will not get the s5. Because exynous processor, knox efuse and because LG and Sony learn how to made the things right

Next phone? Maybe LG or Motorola ( depending of what they can do after s5 release)

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk

Reactions: difyel

m@ximum

May 11, 2011
Let's see...
1. KNOX
2. Exynos
3. Touchwiz

Hell no...buying S4 is one of most biggest regret. Next phone? Probably LG or Sony or OPPO

Reactions: ChampMEon

abusalem

Dec 25, 2013
No it's not useless!

To be honest I'm getting tired of the yearly releases for the sake of it. From the leaks it looks like the S5 will have a qHD screen, fingerprint reader, and the usual upgraded processor and ram. Probably a 64 bit OS but if you know a bit about 32/64bit you'll know it's pointless and just for marketing.

The fingerprint reader is also pointless. Again Samsung are doing it just because apple did and don't have access to the same quality solution. The iPhone solution works really well. Which pains me to say. But Sammy's swipe solution is just going to take longer to unlock and is the same fad that laptops went through 5 years ago. Only business laptops come with fingerprint readers nowadays.

Lastly is the OS. I don't feel that Samsung adds any value with their touchwiz extras. My phone has had Cyanogenmod installed from about 3 months in and I've started to think it's going the way of touchwiz and not adding any value.

I'm running the Nexus 5 ROM with xposed and that gives me all the features and modifications I need. Xposed is the real game changer here. The only problem is the stability. The S4 running a Nexus 5 ROM is never going to be as stable as the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 is a faster device then the S4 and the battery life is far, far better. I now have one as my work phone and part of me is hoping the S5 doesn't have any ground breaking features that makes me want it. I'll then buy a Nexus 5 and lower my mobile contract saving some money in the process.

The Nexus 5 may not have a qHD display but within 6-9 months the Nexus 6 will with a more mature processor and better battery life. Until the Galaxy has a bleeding edge feature I don't see the point in having a bleeding edge device. And it doesn't look like the S5 will :(

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla

farid993

Dec 23, 2010
Tehran
I think this time I will not get the s5. Because exynous processor, knox efuse and because LG and Sony learn how to made the things right

Next phone? Maybe LG or Motorola ( depending of what they can do after s5 release)

I am with you because of Exynos but i think LG plays only with numbers and names. For example S4 and G2 both have GPS but nobody say that G2 takes 2-3 mins to find ~10 sats and ours S4 takes 2-3 seconds to find 15+ sats! poor GPS chip or poor software i don`t know.
Another example is WiFi-Direct. both have it but in G2 you can only use it with LG devices.
I think that LG is still not a good buy.

modyt

Mar 11, 2013
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
No it's not useless!

I think it's unarguable that Samsung offers cutting edge hardware. If only they had a better software design team. Honestly speaking, I'd much rather use a Snapdragon variant over exynos because of lack of development.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ewa12321

The-Kevster

Nov 2, 2007
London, UK
I think it's unarguable that Samsung offers cutting edge hardware. If only they had a better software design team. Honestly speaking, I'd much rather use a Snapdragon variant over exynos because of lack of development.

I agree that Samsung are at the cutting edge but that edge is not longer very far ahead. Other companies are already producing QHD displays and phones with finger print readers. You're right about the Exynos processor. As awesome as it maybe there's a lack of community support and so far Europe has only had the Qualcomm offering. I don't mind this as once again the Qualcomm offering isn't hugely different.

Please don't think I'm complaining or trashing Samsung here. I think the whole smartphone development has slowed down over the past 2 years since the S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I say it's a completely useless thread.
    No it's not useless!

Let's see...
    1. KNOX
    2. Exynos
    3. Touchwiz

Hell no...buying S4 is one of most biggest regret. Next phone? Probably LG or Sony or OPPO
    No it's not useless!