[Q] Soft brick - can't push ROM to phone

Search This thread

factor00

Apr 20, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to fix my issue and have done a ton of reading but can't figure out where to go from here. I've had my phone rooted for months and tried to flash a newer custom ROM today and it ended up locking my phone into a boot loop. I was able to get out of it and had to re install a recovery tool (have installed both CWM and TWRP and they work fine). But I can't actually get a ROM back onto my phone because I don't have one on the SD card and I can't get one to it. I just want to put a stock ROM back onto it at this point.

I can't boot into windows to access the SD card because whenever I boot the phone normally it just goes back to boot looping. I have tried ADB push when in recovery to put a ROM on the SD card and I continually get permission denied when I try to do that. I have tried ADB sideloader and I can't get that to work either. How can I go about getting a ROM to my phone so I can flash it via CWM/TWRP?

Fastboot works fine and I can flash recoveries no problem. ADB appear to work but I can't understand why I can't just get push to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTC One M7 on Verizon.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.12.42.0731
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.10.605.8
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:xxx
(bootloader) imei: xxx
(bootloader) meid: xxx
(bootloader) product: m7_wlv
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0731000
(bootloader) cidnum: VZW__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4325mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-97af273845
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.070s

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
If you type "adb devices" from a Command Prompt, do you see your phone listed?

Try powering off your phone, then holding Power+VolDown until you get to HBOOT. From there, enter recovery (TWRP is my preferred). ADB push does not require anything to be done prior to using it, so assuming you can see your phone with "adb devices", proceed like this:

• Rename the ROM you want to flash to ROM.zip
  • Type "adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/" No quotes
  • If the ROM is around 1GB, this will take 5-10 minutes.
  • Once done, use TWRP file manager (under Advanced) to verify the file is there.
  • Reboot back into recovery and verify it's still there. If it is, install it. If it's not, you will have to RUU back to stock and go through the unlock process again.

factor00

Apr 20, 2014
If you type "adb devices" from a Command Prompt, do you see your phone listed?

Try powering off your phone, then holding Power+VolDown until you get to HBOOT. From there, enter recovery (TWRP is my preferred). ADB push does not require anything to be done prior to using it, so assuming you can see your phone with "adb devices", proceed like this:

• Rename the ROM you want to flash to ROM.zip
  • Type "adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/" No quotes
  • If the ROM is around 1GB, this will take 5-10 minutes.
  • Once done, use TWRP file manager (under Advanced) to verify the file is there.
  • Reboot back into recovery and verify it's still there. If it is, install it. If it's not, you will have to RUU back to stock and go through the unlock process again.

No it isn't showing up when I do that while in recovery.

C:\Users\Mat\Desktop\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached

factor00

Apr 20, 2014
What about fastboot?

Yes fastboot is working. I can see the phone info still. You said I can just RUU. I didn't realize I could do that. That's fine with me I have no issue with that.

I just re-lock the boot loader and then run the RUU from windows? Would this be the appropriate file? RUU Zip M7 WL JB 50 VZW 1.10.605.10 Decrypted from HTC1 Guru.com (I can't post the actual link do to the forum rules.) The CID and model id match what my phone says.

Thanks for all your help!

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
Yes fastboot is working. I can see the phone info still. You said I can just RUU. I didn't realize I could do that. That's fine with me I have no issue with that.

I just re-lock the boot loader and then run the RUU from windows? Would this be the appropriate file? RUU Zip M7 WL JB 50 VZW 1.10.605.10 Decrypted from HTC1 Guru.com (I can't post the actual link do to the forum rules.) The CID and model id match what my phone says.

Thanks for all your help!

I haven't done anything RUU in a while, so I don't want to steer you wrong. But I believe you can use decrypted to get everything up and running. Check the general forum for a guide on returning to stock.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app