[APP]carrier name

Search This thread

Holabalola

Mar 18, 2010
Luleå
This is an app that changes what carrier name is diplayed in for example the lock screen and the status bar. It requires root because it modifies system files, and because it uses root it's potentially dangerous. Use it at your own risk, I'm not responsible if your device explodes in your face!

I had much trouble figuring out how to do this so I wanted to spare others the trouble by making this app. Please send me bug reports so I can fix any bugs you find.

Update1: Don't use any special characters because it will be used in an xml file so for example a double quote sign will break the file.

Update2: This will probably not work on the evo with stock rom and will not work with any rom that only shows what network you're connected to. This app only changes the carrier name wich is taken from your sim card. There are some roms that allows you to change this for example Cyanogenmod 6 where you can change so that it shows your spn.

Update3: I'm currently working on making this app work on all android devices by patching framework-res.apk

This app is also availble on the android market for $0.99, please consider buying the app it would make my face go :D

Carrier Name in the Android app market

mirror

ChangeLog:
[1.0]
- Initial release
[1.1]
- Big bug fix, should be working now
[1.2]
- Should be supported on more devices now
- Backup function now works as initially intended

Last edited:

Twolazyg

Sep 14, 2010
Twin Cities
This is an app that changes what carrier name is diplayed in for example the lock screen and the status bar. It requires root because it modifies system files, and because it uses root it's potentially dangerous. Use it at your own risk, I'm not responsible if your device explodes in your face!

I had much trouble figuring out how to do this so I wanted to spare others the trouble by making this app. Please send me bug reports so I can fix any bugs you find.

This app is also availble on the android market for $0.99, please consider buying the app it would make my face go :D

Carrier Name on the Android app market

ChangeLog:
[1.0] Initial release

Thanks for this, I'll check it out next time I flash GB. and let you know if I find anything, should be less than a day or two.

Reactions: mirco97

chrisrotolo

Nov 3, 2010
Corona, CA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
not working on Dell Streak DJ_Steve's ROM v1.5.2 froyo,

tried puttin in my name with and without brackets and rebooting, didnt work.

I would really like to do this to totally debrand my device.

Last edited:

secondskin

Oct 16, 2009
Pennsylvania
I really like like the concept of this app especially since the ways available to do this on the Evo are somewhat extensive.

Unfortunatley, this first version is not working on my Evo. I'm running a stock rooted deodexed rom. I will keep following this thread.

P.S. I also tried putting in my name with and without brackets and nothing worked. Also pressing the reboot button in the corner didn't work.
Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Holabalola

Mar 18, 2010
Luleå
If any of you have access to the terminal on your device and know how to use it please check if the app has made the file /system/etc/spn-conf.xml and make sure it has the following contents:

I hope I can fix so that it works for you, it works on my HTC tattoo with cm6 and my friends galaxy with cm6. Please help my find why its not working so I can fix the problems you are having.

Reactions: LeatherFace

sageDieu

Oct 18, 2010
on my USCC Samsung mesmerize it says "original operator name: USCC" when my phone in the notification pulldown and the lockscreen say US Cellular.

Sent from my Galaxy S.

Holabalola

Mar 18, 2010
Luleå
on my USCC Samsung mesmerize it says "original operator name: USCC" when my phone in the notification pulldown and the lockscreen say US Cellular.

Sent from my Galaxy S.

The text in your status bar is the network you're currently connected to and the text in the app is your carrier name that is taken from your sim card. If you have cyanogenmod you can change if spn or plmn will be displayed, usually it will be son but otherwise I can help you sorry.

Holabalola

Mar 18, 2010
Luleå
yes, now the file is there, I opened in a text editor and my custom name is in there now.

I mounted r/o and rebooted.

still nothing..

That probably means your status bar isn't showing the spn, what the app modifies. If you have a rom that allows you to change it to spn it would work if you can't, you'll just have to wait for an update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update1: Don't use any special characters because it will be used in an xml file so for example a double quote sign will break the file.

Update2: This will probably not work on the evo with stock rom and will not work with any rom that only shows what network you're connected to. This app only changes the carrier name wich is taken from your sim card. There are some roms that allows you to change this for example Cyanogenmod 6 where you can change so that it shows your spn.

Update3: I'm currently working on making this app work on all android devices by patching framework-res.apk

Carrier Name in the Android app market

mirror

ChangeLog:
    [1.0]
    - Initial release
    [1.1]
    - Big bug fix, should be working now
    [1.2]
    - Should be supported on more devices now
    - Backup function now works as initially intended

Carrier Name on the Android app market

ChangeLog:
    [1.0] Initial release

Thanks for this, I'll check it out next time I flash GB. and let you know if I find anything, should be less than a day or two.
    If any of you have access to the terminal on your device and know how to use it please check if the app has made the file /system/etc/spn-conf.xml and make sure it has the following contents:

I hope I can fix so that it works for you, it works on my HTC tattoo with cm6 and my friends galaxy with cm6. Please help my find why its not working so I can fix the problems you are having.
    Does this wrk on the x10 ? :)

sent from home

I don't so but you can try
    works on streak

This app works perfectly on dell streak running dj_steves streakdroid 1.8.0

Been looking for something like this for a while. :)