Search This thread

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Just look in the Verizon G3 Development thread, there is an updated APK which doesn't require you to change settings to get it to work. I'm running it with no issues.

AntoniosH

Sep 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3, but using a T-Mobile SIM

I have a rooted Verizon LG G3, but using a T-Mobile SIM, and I've followed all the instructions posted, still not working. Any ideas? Would the WIFI tether app work?

markfm

Mar 27, 2013
If the latest modded APK isn't working, I'd definitely give the PlayStore WiFi Tether Router, from Grasso, a try. It's a trivial install, see if it works for you, else do an uninstall for refund.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Can this be used on 10b? It seems like this version is for 24a.

If you look closely you'll see it's designed for 24A for the G2, but evidently with the caveats noted in the OP, it works for our G3, too. Can't comment about what Verizon G3 builds it works on, I have no idea.

There's another hotspot thread in these sections with builds for 12B and 23B (which works for 23C as well). No idea if it includes one for 10B or if the 12B one works with 10B.

Instead of finding the more up to date and recently used thread, you somehow necro'd one that hasn't been used in six months. :)

Reactions: comk4ver

LaTropa64

Feb 7, 2010
What about after upgrading to Lollipop? Any idea if this still works. FoxFi is dead now.

idrift

Sep 16, 2009
I checked everything, should all be stock now but the ota fails for some reason. Do you have to turn off debugging too?
I am only rooted, no mods and no changes at all. Weird, guess I'll have to KDZ if I want to take it.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I checked everything, should all be stock now but the ota fails for some reason. Do you have to turn off debugging too?
I am only rooted, no mods and no changes at all. Weird, guess I'll have to KDZ if I want to take it.
Rooted is not stock. Root itself changes your system partition.

[VK810.4G] [altev] [ViKtory810ROM] official LG G Pad 8.3 Lollipop 35A_08 5.0.2
[VK810.4G] [altev] official LG G Pad 8.3 Lollipop 35A_08 5.0.2 DEBLOAT SCRIPTS and copies of all the files they remove
[VK810.4G] [altev] OTAs, .IMGs and KDZs, oh my

idrift

Sep 16, 2009
I understand that but I've never had an issue with an ota rooted and not altered in the past though. Is VZ changing things up now?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I understand that but I've never had an issue with an ota rooted and not altered in the past though. Is VZ changing things up now?

Starting with the 23A / 23B / 23C leaks and the final 23C_01 OTA, no one could keep root going from 12B to 23. Either that or trying to update would just not work, I forget which. 23C_01 to 24B_01 is the same way. More likely LG changed it. They try to squash the loopholes - that's not specific to Verizon.

Plus SuperSU doesn't appear to have an OTA survival mode under official LG Lollipop.

Reactions: bascherz
L

LastStandingDroid

If you have twrp you can lock the system to not have system/write for trying to flash ota (2.8.7.0) latest twrp

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP won’t prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP won’t try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

Seems to be if you Have no root installed

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

idrift

Sep 16, 2009
I thought root was required to install TWRP, has that now changed with the
latest update? I have flashify to install TWRP. So, given the above, if I KDZ back to
stock and make a non modified image I can eliminate needing to KDZ every time I want
to take an OT, that sound correct?

L

LastStandingDroid

I thought root was required to install TWRP, has that now changed with the
latest update? I have flashify to install TWRP. So, given the above, if I KDZ back to
stock and make a non modified image I can eliminate needing to KDZ every time I want
to take an OT, that sound correct?
Uhm no I thought you were rooted ? but you could root your device install twrp and install a stock Rom which won't ask you to root it but you still have twrp and you "might" be able to update with twrp not sure if this is how they are explaining but it is how I understood it. there is some stock Roms out there though not sure if stock with odex exists though ?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

idrift

Sep 16, 2009
I am rooted. I think I'll just sit tight and pass on this latest OTA, doesn't seem like
if fixed that many things.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to post this in the correct forum ( Android Dev) but it wont let me so Ill post here hoping it can be moved or will be ok here. Ok so here it is (drum roll).......LG G3 VS985 Hotspot hack. I do not take responsibility for doing this I simply tried it on my device and it worked. :good:

CREDIT:
    Anonymous creator
    xdabbeb's file hosting site
    WACOmalt for making the original G2 thread (see below)
    anyone else I did not happen to mention.

Download the file, backup and remove* HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex from /system/app/ And then drag in this copy of the apk**. Put it's permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot.

The only caviat to this way is that every time you enable the hotspot you must change the password so it will enable (I Don't know Why). I had this happen on my G2 also so I am not sure if its me or that's how it goes. But hey it WORKS!:laugh:

*People have said that you can rename the app if you want. I copied the files and put them in downloads then deleted them in the sys/app section. When you move them back to sys/app go in app manager and clear data/cache for the hotspot so it will load correctly. This is what I did and it worked great.

**To drag and drop I used Root browser

Links:
    DO NOT USE APP ON FIRST PAGE! it is meant for Android 4.2 Original thread
    HotSpot APK Download
    Root using IOroot here

Edit: This was tested on Verizon as that is the only device I have. Not sure it this would work on other carriers.

I will end this by a great quote from Abraham Lincoln:
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
    Wifi tether router in the play store now works for the G3. Tried it on my wife's phone and no issues after about an hour of tethering.
    New APK (no changing passwords or channels necessary)!

A proper APK hack for the Verizon LG G3 (VS985) is out and it works flawlessly.

Same basic instructions, updated APK.

I would post the link but I'm too new.

Google search:

"Enable WiFi Tethering on Verizon LG G3"

Then choose the article from droidviews.com published on 23 August 2014. It contains instructions and an updated APK. I wish I could just post a proper link. I hope someone posts the link here after me.
    I would like to know this also.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

I can verify this is working 100%! I had bought this app for my S4 a while back and it worked well then too. It seems to take about 30 second to enable the AP, but it then works gets. From the devs site I used these settings:

For LG G3 using this config
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Channel 1
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    On my G2 running 4.4.2 I had to do this same issue except when I was on a ROM. Stock with this you must change the password. I add a number to the password and save it, turn on hotspot then delete the digit I added and after hitting save it will turn on. This is a direct APK copy from the G2. It is atleast better than nothing until there is a better fix. :good: