[STOCK][C650X][4.4] Update to 10.5.A.0.230 [Root & XZDR]

Search This thread

renzzoman

Nov 19, 2013
Jekardah
If you used stock (rooted/not-rooted and xposed/non-xposed) you should be fine and there should not be a FC. Some flashable addons could cause this I would suspect.

Xposed should run fine. It could be the activated modules. Try disabling all modules, reboot and check if it fixes the problem. The compatibility of Xposed modules on 4.4 got way worse. Gravitybox ran fine with 95% of the options on 4.3 and with 4.4 it is almost unusable for example.

I am not sure if you would restore the Kernel baseband etc. Just to be sure I would restore the TWRP backup, power the phone off and flash the stripped FTF from 101 again. If you don't have a stripped FTF, I uploaded it sometime ago: http://d-h.st/wUs but be careful to not wipe your data with it, I did not remove the option to wipe appslog/cache/data so you have to uncheck this manually.

I fixed some of the high battery drain by "Wakelock Terminator" in the Play Store and disabling/spoofing the NlpWakeLock and NlpCollectorWakeLock. It seems to be a like shady app/dev though which is extra dangerous with xposed (it can do everything, even without permissions thanks to superuser access) - the app asks you if you love it and if you do you can give a play store rating if not a chat will be opened to submit you problems/feature requests, but the dev does not answer. Also the ratings speak for itself.

Problem solved by disabling all Xposed modules. Yes apparently there are some uncompatible modules with KK. I have installed wakelock detector, is it the same function with wakelock terminator?

Last edited:

Dead Metal

Mar 7, 2013
Ok so I followed the instructions and now after doing the flash tool part the screen is on but does't do anything after I turned it on for the first boot.

Should I wait longer or any ideas what might have happened?
Before this I had stock 3.4 rooted.

[NUT]

Ok so I followed the instructions and now after doing the flash tool part the screen is on but does't do anything after I turned it on for the first boot.

Should I wait longer or any ideas what might have happened?
Before this I had stock 3.4 rooted.

Waiting longer doesn't help... Power down using the switch behind the sim lid and leave it off for a little while. Then try to power it up again.

If it still fails, redownload the ftf specific to your EXACT model and flash it again.

Dead Metal

Mar 7, 2013
Waiting longer doesn't help... Power down using the switch behind the sim lid and leave it off for a little while. Then try to power it up again.

If it still fails, redownload the ftf specific to your EXACT model and flash it again.

I reverted back to my backup instead. I think I'll wait a little longer for the official update to finally hit.

iamsamsamiam

Dec 20, 2010
Toronto
I reverted back to my backup instead. I think I'll wait a little longer for the official update to finally hit.

I'm assuming you were just unable to use the flashtool correctly or the flashtool didn't detect your device and you hit a wall. I'm pretty sure you have to get into bootloader mode to get the flashtool to work correctly which involves shutting down the phone (using the hard off button if you have to) and turning on the device by holding volume down and power until the phone vibrates 3 times or something. The device screen should still be blank (black) but the LED indicator should have changed colours (I'm thinking red but his is off the top of my head). From here when you plug in the USB the flashtool should detect your device in which you flash the ftf file.

Dead Metal

Mar 7, 2013
I'm assuming you were just unable to use the flashtool correctly or the flashtool didn't detect your device and you hit a wall. I'm pretty sure you have to get into bootloader mode to get the flashtool to work correctly which involves shutting down the phone (using the hard off button if you have to) and turning on the device by holding volume down and power until the phone vibrates 3 times or something. The device screen should still be blank (black) but the LED indicator should have changed colours (I'm thinking red but his is off the top of my head). From here when you plug in the USB the flashtool should detect your device in which you flash the ftf file.

Erm, no?
Flashtool is super easy to use, it tells you what you need to do, and I did all that, it just didn't work for me is all.

I have since flashed the leaked version of 4.4, using the ftf from the flashtool site, and then just rooted that.

No idea what went wrong with this pre-rooted version since it works for a lot of people and should have worked for me as well. But it doesn't matter, since I'm now at pretty much the same level.

iamsamsamiam

Dec 20, 2010
Toronto
Erm, no?
Flashtool is super easy to use, it tells you what you need to do, and I did all that, it just didn't work for me is all.

I have since flashed the leaked version of 4.4, using the ftf from the flashtool site, and then just rooted that.

No idea what went wrong with this pre-rooted version since it works for a lot of people and should have worked for me as well. But it doesn't matter, since I'm now at pretty much the same level.

Well I'm also assuming you were coming from 4.3 or 4.2 which needs a different kernel that's located in the ftf but you have to flash the ROM first which makes you end up with a blank screen because you don't have the right kernel or something.

I was under the assumption you couldn't even get the device to connect to the flashtool and I'm just saying there's a method to connect the device to the flashtool when it looks like your device is dead (soft bricked) so you can flash some software that will make the device useable again.

Dead Metal

Mar 7, 2013
Well I'm also assuming you were coming from 4.3 or 4.2 which needs a different kernel that's located in the ftf but you have to flash the ROM first which makes you end up with a blank screen because you don't have the right kernel or something.

I was under the assumption you couldn't even get the device to connect to the flashtool and I'm just saying there's a method to connect the device to the flashtool when it looks like your device is dead (soft bricked) so you can flash some software that will make the device useable again.

Yes, the method to connect my phone to Flashtool was needed to revert back to my backup.

So here's what I did:
  • Connected to PC via cable
  • Opened Flashtool
  • Started Flashtool
  • Hit the flash button
  • Choose the old 4.3 stock ftf
  • Then when prompted to disconnect my XZL and power it down, I opened the battery compartment and hit the "OFF" switch to force it to reboot, then when the screen came back on I hit the volume down key a couple times, since you know the XZL doesn't have a physical back key
  • Then waited while flashtool did its thing flashing my phone
  • Once that was done I rooted it again and installed TWERP again
  • Booted into Recovery mode (TWERP)
  • In TWERP I chose "Backup/ Restore", then "Restore from SD Card"
  • Finished that
  • Then I downloaded the leaked version of 4.4 (which this ROM here is based on)
  • After that I did the same as in the first eight steps, just this time with 4.4
  • Done

[NUT]

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Because I have to prioritize the time I have between projects and my personal life as well as my business life got increasingly busy, I have decided this was the last package I have done for public release.

Anyone able and willing is invited to take over the magic wand of releasing these update packages. I will be working on expanding the toolkit used for it and will keep updating the DIY thread, working with who ever takes over to fix any issues in the ROM that might be caused by security issues. These will be implemented in XZDR as soon as a solution is found, so you will still see loads more from me, just no ROM packages.

The DIY thread: [DIY GUIDE] Create a personalized ROM yourself!

Ask any question on the process of creating these packages there.

I will be placing the files which I released under the Download tab on the DevDB bar, cleaning stuff from my private downloads server in the coming weeks. The last topics I did for the update packages will remain open but I will stop monitoring them as soon as the files have been put on the XDA file server.

faisalmalaeb

Sep 6, 2003
Tethering & hotspot

hi all
i have upgrade to 4.4.2 and it work fine .
i have try to run the wifi Hotspot but it's not working at all even i have try the usb tethering same thing ,
anyone have this issue ?? and know how to solve it please .

Best Regards
Faisal

lclaudiogb

Sep 17, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Let´s cross our fingers and hope our friend NUT can make us a FTF file already rooted, That would be great cause once rooted, it´s not cool using a unrooted fw.

demonicangell™

Aug 5, 2011
Bombay
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Because I have to prioritize the time I have between projects and my personal life as well as my business life got increasingly busy, I have decided this was the last package I have done for public release.

Anyone able and willing is invited to take over the magic wand of releasing these update packages. I will be working on expanding the toolkit used for it and will keep updating the DIY thread, working with who ever takes over to fix any issues in the ROM that might be caused by security issues. These will be implemented in XZDR as soon as a solution is found, so you will still see loads more from me, just no ROM packages.

The DIY thread: [DIY GUIDE] Create a personalized ROM yourself!

Ask any question on the process of creating these packages there.

I will be placing the files which I released under the Download tab on the DevDB bar, cleaning stuff from my private downloads server in the coming weeks. The last topics I did for the update packages will remain open but I will stop monitoring them as soon as the files have been put on the XDA file server.

Hey @[NUT]
Are you planning to give us the new update with your touches of magic?
Im waiting for C6506...

Regards!

Let´s cross our fingers and hope our friend NUT can make us a FTF file already rooted, That would be great cause once rooted, it´s not cool using a unrooted fw.

doubtful

anshumangoyal

Apr 13, 2014
Bengaluru
I have Xperia ZL running on Cyanogenmod and TWRP Recovery. I want to install the stock rooted rom. Can I simply flash the zip using TWRP? or I need to do this whole process.
PS: I am already having latest version of TWRP on my phone. So, want to check if this works or I have to follow this Flashtool thing. Some one please help. I am really struggling for this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

Requirements:

Special features:

In the following guide I suggest you use an external SDCard but that's just good practice, you can use your internal storage or even an USB OTG storage device in TWRP if you like to install, that's no problem!... If you are modding and the likes, best is to have an external sdcard, just for safeties sake.

If you are unable to download torrent files directly, have http://zbigz.com/ do it for you!

How to update to 10.5.A.0.230:
    1. Files (Find them on the DevDB Download tab!):
      • For C6502: Download C6502_10.5.A.0.230.flashable.zip (890MB) and C6502_10.5.A.0.230_Stripped.ftf (17MB)
      • For C6503: Download C6503_10.5.A.0.230.flashable.zip (902MB) and C6503_10.5.A.0.230_Stripped.ftf (17MB)
      • For C6506: Download C6506_10.5.A.0.230.flashable.zip (903MB) and C6506_10.5.A.0.230_Stripped.ftf (17MB)
      Save them somewhere you remember;
    2. Put 'C65XX_10.5.A.0.230.flashable.zip' on (the external) SDcard1;
    3. Put 'C65XX_10.5.A.0.230_Stripped.ftf' inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder;
    4. Create a backup of your phone in TWRP and don't forget to backup the contents of 'SDCard' (the internal storage!);
    5. Flash 'C65XX_10.5.A.0.230.flashable.zip' in TWRP (if you notice your phone reboot during the update process, update to the latest XZDualRecovery and try again);
      NOTE: do not reboot but go back to the main menu, then go to reboot->power off;
    6. Flash everything in 'C65XX_10.5.A.0.230_Stripped.ftf' using flashtool;
    7. Reboot to system.

The first boot will be slow and after some time at the boot animation you will see Android start optimizing the apps on your phone.

Enjoy! :laugh:

Known XZDualRecovery Issues:
    Busybox Updater/Installer: If you have XZDualRecovery installed, un-install any Busybox updating app/tool as most if not all of them will install a version of busybox which does not support the lzma compression applets XZDualRecovery depends on. The version installed together with XZDualRecovery is very stable and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it's stability.

How to report errors:
    Please, before shouting out "It doesn't work!!1!" or "I lost root!" or even "My phone reboots when remounting /system RW!!" try the following:
    • Restore any JB 4.2.2 FTF using any means you are familiar with so you can try again.
    • Root it using any means you are familiar with.
    • Install XZDualRecovery;
    • Update to 10.4.1.B.0.101;
    • Then try to update again using TWRP.
    • If it still fails something from there on: LOGS!!.
      NOTE: The important ones can be found in /cache/recovery and in /sdcard1/XZDualRecovery, pack them up and send them to me or attach them to your bug report.

Thank you :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [STOCK][C650X][4.4] Update to 10.5.A.0.230 [Root & XZDR], ROM for the Sony Xperia ZL

Contributors
    [NUT]
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 10.5.A.0.230
    Stable Release Date: 2014-05-24

Created 2014-05-24
    Last Updated 2014-08-20

I'll see if I can find out what's been updated between the releases and put together a patch release... I hope it's a quick bug fix release and not a branded update AGAIN like they did with previous versions ...
    It doesn't work with NDR Utils. I originally used Serajr Xposed or Gravitybox to add it to Power Menu. Didn't work. Restart Home (Launcher) is not working, too...

The quick reboot is causing a kernel panic, which in turn causes the full reboot. Sony bug, nobody will be able to fix until they do... sorry :rolleyes:
    Hi,
    Can I go straight from 4.2.2 FW .67 rooted or do I need to update first to 4.3 FW .101 ?
    I didn't try it yet, downloading files first.
    It works with locked bootloader, right?
    Thx!

It should work, but as I have no ZL to play with nor did I test it on anything else then 101 I'd say: create a solid backup and just go for it. In theory it should work between any stock rom based on 4.2.2 and up.
    Hi,

Where I can find files for ZL 6503 devices.

Links return a file not found message.

Thanks

Uploading them to the downloads tab of the project bar right now.

XDA upload is slow ... this will take all day to complete I'm afraid.