Contract about to end..

Search This thread

ajr12388

Oct 26, 2010
Milford
Damn. I just ordered a one s. Its coming Monday. Got it for $218 express shipped at best buy mobile. Not a bad deal. But 200 for 3 phones? That's nuts. Good score.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Just stopped in at the local T-Mobile store and test drove the One S, GSII, and Galaxy Blaze next to my Vibrant. Gotta say, I'm even less impressed with the GSII (Swype keeps trying to autocorrect that to FAIL lol), and the Blaze didn't impress me at all, but the One S blew me away. I'd have snatched it up right there if I had my old G1 on me to take advantage of the guaranteed $100 for any working smart phone. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the One S will be my next phone, if only I can get over not being able to replace the battery.

Swyped, not typed, from my Digital Brick

accordex

Mar 1, 2009
Kent
Just stopped in at the local T-Mobile store and test drove the One S, GSII, and Galaxy Blaze next to my Vibrant. Gotta say, I'm even less impressed with the GSII (Swype keeps trying to autocorrect that to FAIL lol), and the Blaze didn't impress me at all, but the One S blew me away. I'd have snatched it up right there if I had my old G1 on me to take advantage of the guaranteed $100 for any working smart phone. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the One S will be my next phone, if only I can get over not being able to replace the battery.

No battery and no Micro-SD either and not even a true HD screen and 1650mah batt on a .3 bigger screen and that 42mbps modem?...I don't know man, I'd hold out esp if you're going to sign a contract...I been waiting since last Nov for something to come out...gotta tell you, I'm loving 60/month for unlimited everything no contract

Last edited:

o0stryxs0o

Feb 6, 2011
Nashv!lle
I just picked up the One S on release day coming from a Vibrant and honestly I love it. I got a GSII back in january when the white ones dropped and buyers remorsed it. I really hated that thing something about just really didn't sit well with me. The form factor of the One S is awesome! It flies... Like it feels powerful in your hands. Battery life gets me completely through the day and some. I thought I was gonna hate sense but it's better than touchwiz in my opinion. I don't know though tmobile has the Galaxy note coming and it will be running ICS and they supposedly have the One X coming according to the rep in my store. To each his own but I'm happy with this.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
No battery and no Micro-SD either and not even a true HD screen and 1650mah batt on a .3 bigger screen and that 42mbps modem?...I don't know man, I'd hold out esp if you're going to sign a contract...I been waiting since last Nov for something to come out...gotta tell you, I'm loving 60/month for unlimited everything no contract

The sdcard bothered me at first, but with my unlimited data I can get over it, since I realized I barely ever need more than 16GB on my Vibrant. The battery is a huge turn off, but really what is there to look forward to? We all know in our hearts the GSIII won't land on T-Mo any time soon, Samsung will be done with it support wise the moment the ink on your contact dries, and it will either be oversized, overbloated, and/or have a lesser processor, so you might as well fire up your membership to #neveragain before you finish the transaction. I'm not convinced the X is coming to T-mo, either. The device road map just leaked from T-mo shows nothing about it, or the Note (which I wouldn't be caught dead hefting to the side of my head like some moron pretending his VCR is a phone), so One S will be it until the GSIII arrives, which I've already stated why that should be avoided like herpes. So I'm going to call T-mo and ask for the retention/loyalty dept. and if they bargain, I'll stick with them and a One, if not, I'll take advantage of the 20% discount I can get at AT&T through work.

Last edited:

atatistcheff

Aug 2, 2010
I'm on a non-subsidized plan and it was getting to be time to say goodbye to my old Vibrant. I was almost ready to spend the $600 on the One S but then Google decided to get back into the phone business. Ordered the Galaxy Nexus Wed morning and it arrived Friday. if you want a phone that doesn't require updates to go through the carrier. Then the galaxy nexus is the 1. Only had it a few hours but so far so good. The developer support is incredible. The camera is only a small improvement over the vibrant but everything else blows it away.

I also figure that if I don't like it I can probably sell it for nearly what I paid in a few months. By then maybe the One S will be on sale or even the GS3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
I'm on a non-subsidized plan and it was getting to be time to say goodbye to my old Vibrant. I was almost ready to spend the $600 on the One S but then Google decided to get back into the phone business. Ordered the Galaxy Nexus Wed morning and it arrived Friday. if you want a phone that doesn't require updates to go through the carrier. Then the galaxy nexus is the 1. Only had it a few hours but so far so good. The developer support is incredible. The camera is only a small improvement over the vibrant but everything else blows it away.

I also figure that if I don't like it I can probably sell it for nearly what I paid in a few months. By then maybe the One S will be on sale or even the GS3.

Good point. If I could switch to a non contract value plan without losing my unlimited data, I would consider that. I think I'll look into it. Thanks!

DontJoinTheDarkSide

Nov 17, 2010
Norwalk
I've got the galaxy nexus on tmobile and I love it. I'm constantly getting at least 8-10 mbps down. My service is awesome too. Stock battery gets me through the day with 3-4hour screen on time plus dev support is great. Not to mention led notification ! I'll never get another phone without an led notification.

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Now I have a real 1st world problem. I jokingly asked a known iPhone user co-worker of mine if she'd sell me her old 3gs for $30. She said $40 and I said sold. I wanted to trade it in for the $200 T-Mo is willing to pay for a working iPhone (and this one is perfect except for some light scratches on the back), but now I'm thinking I want to jailbreak it, unlock it, and use it on T-Mo with my account as a 2nd phone (never going to give up my Android as primary). My only issue now is researching how to jailbreak and unlock it without a SIM since I don't have AT&T and it ignores my T-Mo SIM completely.

swehes

Jul 26, 2010
Utah
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 11
Now I have a real 1st world problem. I jokingly asked a known iPhone user co-worker of mine if she'd sell me her old 3gs for $30. She said $40 and I said sold. I wanted to trade it in for the $200 T-Mo is willing to pay for a working iPhone (and this one is perfect except for some light scratches on the back), but now I'm thinking I want to jailbreak it, unlock it, and use it on T-Mo with my account as a 2nd phone (never going to give up my Android as primary). My only issue now is researching how to jailbreak and unlock it without a SIM since I don't have AT&T and it ignores my T-Mo SIM completely.

Find someone of your friends who uses AT&T or you can get an AT&T prepaid card and use that.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Why you know XDA has an IOS sister site and here is the links to the Jailbreak Wizard for all the IOSs.

Also, you should be able to use a TMo SIM but you might have to cut it down to size. I think the IPhone uses the smaller portion of the SIM with the metal circuit on it. I have seen a SIM punch before but not sure if it works or not. Could always go to a Criket or Boost and get them to copy your SIM over to another ATT type card and pop it in.

Danstek

Jul 20, 2011
I caved in and bought the Galaxy Nexus. Turned out to be $399 for the phone plus $10.50 shipping and only 0.74 cents tax. Still got a few months left on contract with my vibrant but I figure I'm not gonna renew it anymore and switch to the $30 prepaid for 100min, unlimited text, and 5gb data.

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Turns out all I had to do was connect it to an iTunes account and I can now use it as an iPod Touch no problem. I was tinkering with it a bit last night and it turns out I really dislike iOS on the iPhone. It's childish, looks like a 3yo wrote it to appeal to their love of candy, and is difficult to navigate. I keep hitting the "home" button for "back" and then having to reopen the app I was using only to realize this time the "back" button is in the top left, or right, or bottom left, or right. WTF?!? Who likes this crap? I was browsing the Appmarket and it's worse than the original Android Market setup. So I finally decided to trade it in, but then I noticed it's not for credit or cash, it's for a "debit card" that they send you. So you have to buy the new phone (subsidized, but still not free) and then they send you the debit card later. And if you get the One S, you get to wait for 2 debit cards (the $200 one for the iPhone, and the $50 one T-Mo is offering). Why don't they just take $50 off the price and save the postage and envelope?