Battery/Phone Getting Very Hot

Search This thread

stepinmyworld

Apr 14, 2010
Hey everyone -

Not sure if you've experienced this but I have the At&t HTC One 32GB model and I noticed that it heats up when watching videos or even downloading something. It gets over 100F as I have a battery monitor which informs me and I feel how uncomfortable it is. anyone else expericing this and maybe we'll need to root and Use Set CPU to add a profile which underclocks the CPU when it goes over 90 or something like that

I could just have a faulty device but i've read a few articles where people mentioned this but it doesn't get much attention -probably because people don't wanna bad mouth the phone so to speak. who knows

Maybe a Kernel and software update will help along with battery drain.

Nyxagamemnon

Oct 3, 2012
Hey everyone -

Not sure if you've experienced this but I have the At&t HTC One 32GB model and I noticed that it heats up when watching videos or even downloading something. It gets over 100F as I have a battery monitor which informs me and I feel how uncomfortable it is. anyone else expericing this and maybe we'll need to root and Use Set CPU to add a profile which underclocks the CPU when it goes over 90 or something like that

I could just have a faulty device but i've read a few articles where people mentioned this but it doesn't get much attention -probably because people don't wanna bad mouth the phone so to speak. who knows

Maybe a Kernel and software update will help along with battery drain.

Your not alone I experience the same thing.

ratykat

Feb 8, 2008
I have the same issue, I just use the phone in the official flip case and that stops it hurting haha

iraqgsm

Jul 8, 2010
i guess its not common one i got 2 from letstalk 64gb dev and they are great, maybe try to get replacement oh and both were made around 04/15 according to the serail info thread

godofwar424

Oct 17, 2010
London
www.facebook.com
The heat is normal, you will find that the SoC can safely go up to 60 degrees Celsius and possibly more. The reason you feel it is due to aluminium being very good at dissipating the heat and as your hands are touching the metal, they conduct that heat :p

Its really just a case of either getting a case/cover. OR hold the device with two hands with the bottom of your palm (wrist end) pressed into the two sides of the phone (landscape) This way you get minimal heat to your hands and the device can cool itself as more air will get to the back :)

stepinmyworld

Apr 14, 2010
The heat is normal, you will find that the SoC can safely go up to 60 degrees Celsius and possibly more. The reason you feel it is due to aluminium being very good at dissipating the heat and as your hands are touching the metal, they conduct that heat :p

Its really just a case of either getting a case/cover. OR hold the device with two hands with the bottom of your palm (wrist end) pressed into the two sides of the phone (landscape) This way you get minimal heat to your hands and the device can cool itself as more air will get to the back :)

sounds great but it even heats up when the case is on it.. all phones heat up but this is pretty hot. i bet if they did that melting butter experiment with this chip, it will melt with absolutely no problem lol. this may sound strange but sometimes when im holding it and its hot, i use my mind and it cools down off and on.. goodness knows i be trynna make that work because i know how everything is really connected but yeah

hope they address this somehow

thank you for your response and others

Reactions: philmidd

godofwar424

Oct 17, 2010
London
www.facebook.com
sounds great but it even heats up when the case is on it.. all phones heat up but this is pretty hot. i bet if they did that melting butter experiment with this chip, it will melt with absolutely no problem lol. this may sound strange but sometimes when im holding it and its hot, i use my mind and it cools down off and on.. goodness knows i be trynna make that work because i know how everything is really connected but yeah

Yeah its just due to the metal honestly. In plastic phones the area where the SoC is gets extremely hot and just as unbearable to touch. BUT as this is an aluminium unibody the heat spreads all over. The reason I said to hold the top and bottom of the device where the speakers are is because there is a plastic strip separating the middle piece of metal from the two sides, meaning these sides are cooler to hold.

Reactions: stepinmyworld

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
Yes, mine one can get quite hot especially when I play game. However one the other hand, I find it cooling down extremely fast comparing to my GS3 which does take time to warm up also to go back to comfortable temperature.

Must due to the aluminum back which transfers the heat faster than plastic.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: stepinmyworld

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
Everyones heat tolerance is different. Phone gets WARM when im watching video. Couple minutes later it's not hot. So it's definateky not a issue.

Plastic insulates the heat, aluminum dissipates heat. No brainer here

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

darkgoon3r96

Sep 19, 2010
Everyones heat tolerance is different. Phone gets WARM when im watching video. Couple minutes later it's not hot. So it's definateky not a issue.

Plastic insulates the heat, aluminum dissipates heat. No brainer here

How is the heat when using the browser for extended amounts of time?

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
How is the heat when using the browser for extended amounts of time?

Im usually on my pc when browsing .

Only times my phone was warm is when im downloading a huge file , music streaming and web surfing at the same time, and YouTube videos. To the point of where omg it's hot af, nope. Havnt had the chance to play games yet, damn them midterms

kin05

Feb 18, 2012
Metal conducts the heat but can also conducts the cold.
Let my phone in my cold bedroom during the night and took it in the morning it was like the phone was left outdoor :p

Apoxx

Dec 18, 2009
Daytona Beach
I found mine to get really hot as well, just by surfing on wifi.
I thought it was normal, and still do, but if anyone here has One's that don't get hot at all, please tell, cause then I'm gonna get a bit concerned.

Dacp283

Dec 12, 2010
Nope, but hot as in making my palms really sweaty after just a few minutes use.
Previous posters hit it right on the head. The aluminium body acts just like a heat sink sucking moving heat from inside out and then your hands act like an insulator keeping the heat there. The OG Droid did the same thing. It's just part of having this design. Keep in mind though it does an excellent job of stopping your phone from hitting critical internal tempetures.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah its just due to the metal honestly. In plastic phones the area where the SoC is gets extremely hot and just as unbearable to touch. BUT as this is an aluminium unibody the heat spreads all over. The reason I said to hold the top and bottom of the device where the speakers are is because there is a plastic strip separating the middle piece of metal from the two sides, meaning these sides are cooler to hold.
    Yes, mine one can get quite hot especially when I play game. However one the other hand, I find it cooling down extremely fast comparing to my GS3 which does take time to warm up also to go back to comfortable temperature.

Must due to the aluminum back which transfers the heat faster than plastic.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
    In my experience, gets One XL got noticeably hotter than the One when performing the same tasks.
    I had the same and got it exchanged for that.
    It became so hot it whas uncomfortible to hold.
    Second one got warm too but less then my first one.
    Unfirtionally ut got cam troubles so im awaiting my third one.
    If that one aint good ill get another device as i think 3 times should be more then enough

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda premium