[Q] Stuck on boot Asus spinning wheel

Search This thread

missiveusa

Jun 17, 2012
Emerald City
First I'd like to thank the mods and everyone who contributes to this forum. It's an invaluable resource. Now to my problem.

Asus Tf700 is unlocked and rooted on latest TWRP recovery, which does work. However, after making a backup with the new TWRP version, the tablet is stuck on the boot screen (spinning wheel). Last week I flashed a JB ROM, didn't like it, so went back to ICS with the .30 firmware. Flashed it using old version of TWRP from micro-SD card. Device has been working fine since then. I tried reflashing the .30 kernel again using the same method. It installs kernel, but no luck, still stuck on boot screen. Then I tried TWRP restore, using the new restore file. It restores, but goes to the boot screen and just spins. Any ideas? nvFlash is unavailable to me. What else can I do? Should I try a factory restore in TWRP? I'll keep messing with it later today, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Tylorw1

Feb 10, 2013
Ohio
tylorhost.me
When you install a stock rom, doesnt it install back the stock recovery? I would try reflashing twrp and installing cleanrom, keep it as stock as possible and see if it boots.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T Infinity using Tapatalk HD
Rom: CleanRom 3.4.4

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
A spinning Asus wheel is always recoverable.

You have some incompatible rom / kernel / bootloader / data combination I suspect. It's easily done.

I'd make sure you are on a more recent version of TWRP - something like 2.3.1.0 or 2.3.3.0 that supports ICS and JB. It's very dangerous leaving such an old version of TWRP if you go to JB.....

Personally I'd update TWRP to 2.3.1.0 and then install the latest JB file from the Asus website to start with.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
First I'd like to thank the mods and everyone who contributes to this forum. It's an invaluable resource. Now to my problem.

Asus Tf700 is unlocked and rooted on latest TWRP recovery, which does work. However, after making a backup with the new TWRP version, the tablet is stuck on the boot screen (spinning wheel). Last week I flashed a JB ROM, didn't like it, so went back to ICS with the .30 firmware. Flashed it using old version of TWRP from micro-SD card. Device has been working fine since then. I tried reflashing the .30 kernel again using the same method. It installs kernel, but no luck, still stuck on boot screen. Then I tried TWRP restore, using the new restore file. It restores, but goes to the boot screen and just spins. Any ideas? nvFlash is unavailable to me. What else can I do? Should I try a factory restore in TWRP? I'll keep messing with it later today, but any suggestions are appreciated.

1. What bootloader are you on currently? (See 4)
2. By flashing the ".30 kernel" I assume you mean flashing the .30 stock ROM, am I right?

Your device went into a hung boot after making the backup, so I'm not really surprised it does exactly the same when you restore that backup. ;) Have you tried flashing .30 stock ROM again?

3. Which recovery do you currently have? As Tylorw1 said, if you flash a full stock ROM, you'll reflash everything, up to and including the bootloader and recovery.

4. If you still have fastboot available (pick the USB symbol instead of RCK after POWER+VOL_DOWNing), you might want to try to reflash either TWRP or CWM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1926286 for the latter; I have VERY limited experience with the former and you may well have more than me ;) ).

Updating your bootloader just to be sure is recommended, as most current ROMs will not boot properly without it.

Has the fiddling brought any new points of view, or new discoveries? :)

Reactions: Tylorw1

missiveusa

Jun 17, 2012
Emerald City
Update

Just got in from work. Of course can't do anything else but try to get this unworking device to boot. Not in panic mode yet, as I assume if I get to the spinning wheel, there is hope for recovery.
Just flashed back to the stock ROM, which indeed restored stock recovery. Still would not boot past Asus wheel. Now I will attempt to install the latest TWRP version using fastboot, then try to flash new ROM. Panic is slowly creeping in, but I think I just need to keep at it. How should I proceed once latest version of TWRP is installed? Backup? Flash? Android is new territory for me, a bit rockier than Windows. If this were a laptop on Windows 7 I'd be up and running already :eek:. Thanx for the replies and any help.

OK. I used stock recovery to to a system restore. That worked, but of course all user data and apps are gone. Assume root access is also history, so it's just a matter of getting root access and restoring apps. I made a backup to SD card using Titanium Backup. Can I restore from here using the backup file, or should I just stop complaining and be happy I got the damn thing to boot?!!! No big deal really: I'm back to STOCK .26, virgin device (except for being unlocked). Guess I'll get root and move on. Thanks. Great work here. I've learned a lot browsing these forums. Maybe one day I'll graduate from N00B status!

Last edited:

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Just got in from work. Of course can't do anything else but try to get this unworking device to boot. Not in panic mode yet, as I assume if I get to the spinning wheel, there is hope for recovery.
Agreed.
Just flashed back to the stock ROM, which indeed restored stock recovery. Still would not boot past Asus wheel. Now I will attempt to install the latest TWRP version using fastboot, then try to flash new ROM. Panic is slowly creeping in, but I think I just need to keep at it. How should I proceed once latest version of TWRP is installed? Backup?
No use -- it won't boot.
CROMI, redownload, hash check.
Android is new territory for me, a bit rockier than Windows. If this were a laptop on Windows 7 I'd be up and running already :eek:.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Was there once as well, and still it is changing so fast it's hard to keep up.
Thanx for the replies and any help.

OK. I used stock recovery to to a system restore. That worked, but of course all user data and apps are gone. Assume root access is also history, so it's just a matter of getting root access and restoring apps. I made a backup to SD card using Titanium Backup. Can I restore from here using the backup file, or should I just stop complaining and be happy I got the damn thing to boot?!!!
I would not take the chance, and just leave it as it is.
No big deal really: I'm back to STOCK .26, virgin
<< and still complaining? ;)
device (except for being unlocked). Guess I'll get root and move on. Thanks. Great work here. I've learned a lot browsing these forums. Maybe one day I'll graduate from N00B status!
Maybe...

J/K!

You've done great, and I am happy to hear you got it up and running. I started out answering before reading your post in full, assuming it wasn;t fixed yet. Left the comments for reference (and fun, or mockery... ;) -- good job, see you around!

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
same issue

Hi,

I have a same issue. I still was using the original ROM of ASUS. Now JB.
The device was once rooted in ICS, but that was lost when going to JB. And I did not yet try to reroot it. I was running JB already several months.
The device is unlocked, but I did not install a custom boatloader yet.

This week I was working in the car. Using the 3G connection of my phone and shared it via bluetooth to my pad to access my mails.

Suddenly the pad rebooted, and it never got further than the ASUS screen with the spinning wheel.

I can boot in recovery mode (power and V-), but then I cannot use my V+ buttom. I can only select the RCK, but unfortunately, It's not succesful. I first get the android with open lid and the spinning ball, but after a few seconds it changes to the android with the open lid laying on his bag with the red triangle on it. And it stays like this forever.

I cannot seem to enter fastboot mode (power and V+)

any suggenstion? All data can be erased. No problem as long as the tablet is working again.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hi,

I have a same issue. I still was using the original ROM of ASUS. Now JB.
The device was once rooted in ICS, but that was lost when going to JB. And I did not yet try to reroot it. I was running JB already several months.
The device is unlocked, but I did not install a custom boatloader yet.

This week I was working in the car. Using the 3G connection of my phone and shared it via bluetooth to my pad to access my mails.

Suddenly the pad rebooted, and it never got further than the ASUS screen with the spinning wheel.

I can boot in recovery mode (power and V-), but then I cannot use my V+ buttom. I can only select the RCK, but unfortunately, It's not succesful. I first get the android with open lid and the spinning ball, but after a few seconds it changes to the android with the open lid laying on his bag with the red triangle on it. And it stays like this forever.

I cannot seem to enter fastboot mode (power and V+)

any suggenstion? All data can be erased. No problem as long as the tablet is working again.

When you hold down vol- and power button to boot into stock recovery, then when you see white text on the screen, let go both buttons, then hitting the Vol down button to move the highlighted to USB icon, can you try that?
Edit: if that's working move the highlighted to the "WIPE" icon, then hit Volume up twice, this will perform factory reset and wipe all your data and reset your device back to factory setup. You will see the Android spinning for awhile then your tablet will reboot and you will have to do the setup again, just like when you just brought the device.

Last edited:

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
When you hold down vol- and power button to boot into stock recovery, then when you see white text on the screen, let go both buttons, then hitting the Vol down button to move the highlighted to USB icon, can you try that?
Edit: if that's working move the highlighted to the "WIPE" icon, then hit Volume up twice, this will perform factory reset and wipe all your data and reset your device back to factory setup. You will see the Android spinning for awhile then your tablet will reboot and you will have to do the setup again, just like when you just brought the device.

Thanks for your help. I can boot into stock recovery. But I could move to the USB icon or the the Wipe Icon previously. Now I was able to select the Wipe Data Icon and currently I'm at the virgin "Welcome" screen again.

I don't understand why now it's working and previously not. Did I switch the v- and v+ button? If that's the case, I'm even a bigger idiot then I thought :silly:

Anyhow, All well that ends well.

TransformingPad

Apr 1, 2013
Stuck on spinning wheel as well

A spinning Asus wheel is always recoverable.

You have some incompatible rom / kernel / bootloader / data combination I suspect. It's easily done.

I'd make sure you are on a more recent version of TWRP - something like 2.3.1.0 or 2.3.3.0 that supports ICS and JB. It's very dangerous leaving such an old version of TWRP if you go to JB.....

Personally I'd update TWRP to 2.3.1.0 and then install the latest JB file from the Asus website to start with.

Hi sdbags! Thanks for all the work that you have put in to make this rom!

I am stuck on the spinning wheel as well. I installed cromi x last week. The tab was working okay. Very laggy, was very disappointed. I guess I did something wrong? Last night I used lagfix and rebooted. Since then the tablet has been stuck on the spinning wheel stage. I am pretty sure I installed the latest version of TWRP and checked I had the latest bootloader. Can I check these things now? Also if they are outdated how I do I update them if my tablet wont boot up?

Thanks!

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi sdbags! Thanks for all the work that you have put in to make this rom!

I am stuck on the spinning wheel as well. I installed cromi x last week. The tab was working okay. Very laggy, was very disappointed. I guess I did something wrong? Last night I used lagfix and rebooted. Since then the tablet has been stuck on the spinning wheel stage. I am pretty sure I installed the latest version of TWRP and checked I had the latest bootloader. Can I check these things now? Also if they are outdated how I do I update them if my tablet wont boot up?

Thanks!

Lagfix takes a good 20 mins to complete, even though it says it has finished after 5. I wonder if you rebooted too early. If you have sync off it can cause corruption on the data partition which might be your issue.

The fix is to format data from the twrp wipe menu and reflash. You will lose Everything on internal so back up in twrp first please.

tcemle

Jun 9, 2008
atlanta
stuck on spinning cyan screen

i rooted the tf700t and installed twrp, flash cm 10.2 rc 1, then rebooted and now it is stuck on boot screen. now i find i cant get back to stock recovery or twrp to correct the issue or bootloader. anyway that my tablet isnt totalled?

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
i rooted the tf700t and installed twrp, flash cm 10.2 rc 1, then rebooted and now it is stuck on boot screen. now i find i cant get back to stock recovery or twrp to correct the issue or bootloader. anyway that my tablet isnt totalled?

Why can't you go back? Vol down and power doesn't work?

CM requires you to be on the 10.6.1.14.4+ bootloader first. Also a wipe before installing is mandatory. ;)

tcemle

Jun 9, 2008
atlanta
Why can't you go back? Vol down and power doesn't work?

CM requires you to be on the 10.6.1.14.4+ bootloader first. Also a wipe before installing is mandatory. ;)

i have tried several times to use the vol- and power buttons but it doesnt seem to work. i press them and then i feel like its trying but doesnt go anywhere just stays on the black screen. adb recognizes the tablet but says it is offline because the boot screen is stuck. it usually only took a few seconds for it to go to the fastboot screen but nothing now. any ideas, if i get to the fastboot i can correct the problem.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
i have tried several times to use the vol- and power buttons but it doesnt seem to work. i press them and then i feel like its trying but doesnt go anywhere just stays on the black screen. adb recognizes the tablet but says it is offline because the boot screen is stuck. it usually only took a few seconds for it to go to the fastboot screen but nothing now. any ideas, if i get to the fastboot i can correct the problem.

Hmm that sounds like apx mode to me. If you didn't save nvflash backups I suspect it has bricked :(

karyuudo

Dec 7, 2013
I just updated to KitKat via this threat: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52214068

I noticed that the tablet was running excessively slow and so I decided to do a Factory Reset from within the tablets Setting. Now it's rebooted and it's sitting at the Android and the spinning thing in it's chest for more than 5 mins. Does it normally take this long?

gothamhill

Apr 28, 2013
binghamton, ny
stuck itwrp 2.7.0.0

Hey guys
Long time reader 1st time asking for help. Had tf700t unlocked, rooted and running cm 10.2.1 with twrp 2.6.3.1. Tried several times to load cm 11 and met only with failure. Read a post to try twrp 2.7.0.0. Loaded twrp 2.7.0.0, via goo, backed up everything and tried to flash cm 11. Tablet stuck in wipe mode for 90 minutes. (didn't even get a chance to load it!) I stopped it and re-started into twrp 2.7.0.0. Tried to recover and got pictured error, basically stating that at the wiping data point - E:Unable to mount '/data'. Tried to flash new rom and get the same thing. I can get into recovery but that is about it..............spock help me:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20140426_225203.jpg
    IMG_20140426_225203.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 38

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys
Long time reader 1st time asking for help. Had tf700t unlocked, rooted and running cm 10.2.1 with twrp 2.6.3.1. Tried several times to load cm 11 and met only with failure. Read a post to try twrp 2.7.0.0. Loaded twrp 2.7.0.0, via goo, backed up everything and tried to flash cm 11. Tablet stuck in wipe mode for 90 minutes. (didn't even get a chance to load it!) I stopped it and re-started into twrp 2.7.0.0. Tried to recover and got pictured error, basically stating that at the wiping data point - E:Unable to mount '/data'. Tried to flash new rom and get the same thing. I can get into recovery but that is about it..............spock help me:eek:

TWRP 2.7 does take a long time to wipe. You shouldn't have interrupted it. Now you probably have a corrupted data partition and you will have to format it. That will erase all your data, but if the nandroid you made was successful, that should not be a problem.

gothamhill

Apr 28, 2013
binghamton, ny
stolen

TWRP 2.7 does take a long time to wipe. You shouldn't have interrupted it. Now you probably have a corrupted data partition and you will have to format it. That will erase all your data, but if the nandroid you made was successful, that should not be a problem.

1st of all thank you, unfortunately the nandroid bu was on a laptop that was stolen. Anything else I can do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. What bootloader are you on currently? (See 4)
    2. By flashing the ".30 kernel" I assume you mean flashing the .30 stock ROM, am I right?

Your device went into a hung boot after making the backup, so I'm not really surprised it does exactly the same when you restore that backup. ;) Have you tried flashing .30 stock ROM again?

3. Which recovery do you currently have? As Tylorw1 said, if you flash a full stock ROM, you'll reflash everything, up to and including the bootloader and recovery.

4. If you still have fastboot available (pick the USB symbol instead of RCK after POWER+VOL_DOWNing), you might want to try to reflash either TWRP or CWM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1926286 for the latter; I have VERY limited experience with the former and you may well have more than me ;) ).

Updating your bootloader just to be sure is recommended, as most current ROMs will not boot properly without it.

Has the fiddling brought any new points of view, or new discoveries? :)
    Anything else I can do?

You may want to format your data partition. It may take more than 30 min on twrp 2.7. You should let it finishes it job without interupting it and good luck...:fingers-crossed:
    1st of all thank you, unfortunately the nandroid bu was on a laptop that was stolen. Anything else I can do?

Ahem - so what were you restoring from in that picture? Backup 4-26-14???
    It seems to restore system and cache just fine but hangs on mounting data.