Video Issues on my Galaxy S4 GT-i9500

Search This thread

Mo Neenja31

Dec 8, 2013
Hello, don't post here often but after encountering a very weird and annoying issue with my S4, I felt the need to post here. Whenever I try to view videos in Snapchat or click on a YouTube link from Facebook or something, my screen goes crazy. See videos below.

EDIT: Apparently I can't post video links until I make 10 posts :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcL-rCP317Q&feature=youtu.be
http://youtu.be/VcL-rCP317Q

Also, here is the information about my S4 (I don't live in the United Emirates but apparently that's where my phone's from):
http://i.imgur.com/lDCo3r1.png

This issue sometimes fixes itself but it comes back. If anyone could provide a remedy for this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
I can't see your videos, but i think here is same issue. It is like a lot of flicks to full screen, right? Only happen with some players, others only a few flicks. It happen to me since one week ago when i had to reflash several roms (stock and cm11) with pit and full wipes trying to solve a different issue, and then i came back to my original Rom (TTT, also i9500).

EDIT: i saw your video, yes, same issue, but only when playing videos at full screen. Here a s4 from Latin America.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
Anyone know of a fix?

This morning i found a half fix, and now i found another different fix...

Fix #1: (player settings) If your player has the option for software decoding/acceleration instead of hardware decoding, it will fix it. For example, i installed MX Player and at beginning it ask you if you want sw decoding. I pushed no and the issue occurred. Then i went to settings and changed to sw decoding and voilá... Also GPlayer and VLC players have this option (disable hardware acceleration).

Fix #2: (device settings). For all players even hardware decoding enabled (please, check and confirm i am right), android settings, more, developer options (you need to activate this hidden menu), scroll down to hardware-acelerated rendering, check last (turn off hardware overlays must be checked).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo Neenja31

Mo Neenja31

Dec 8, 2013
I tried fix #2 and it seems to be working so far. I'll have to play around with my phone for a little while to see if the problem has been completely remedied.

Mo Neenja31

Dec 8, 2013
Alright, the issue seemed to be fixed but a couple days ago I noticed the issue was reoccurring. I went to the settings and noticed the hardware overlays option wasn't checked. I re-checked it and went along with my business. Few days after that, I noticed it was unchecked again

Also, I've been experiencing various apps either taking a long to load or respond which results with me force closing the app with the task manager. I did recently unmount the microSD card and put it back in my GS4 a couple days ago. Could there be a relation?

Last edited:

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
Alright, the issue seemed to be fixed but a couple days ago I noticed the issue was reoccurring. I went to the settings and noticed the hardware overlays option wasn't checked. I re-checked it and went along with my business. Few days after that, I noticed it was unchecked again

I also noted that...

Also, I've been experiencing various apps either taking a long to load or respond which results with me force closing the app with the task manager. I did recently unmount the microSD card and put it back in my GS4 a couple days ago. Could there be a relation?

No, I don't think it could be related. Surely because high CPU usage that moment because one or more processes...

Reactions: Mo Neenja31

Mo Neenja31

Dec 8, 2013
Sorry for the huge bump, but I still get these issues from time to time. Is there another way of remedying this without having to check the hardware overlays on all the time?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone know of a fix?

This morning i found a half fix, and now i found another different fix...

Fix #1: (player settings) If your player has the option for software decoding/acceleration instead of hardware decoding, it will fix it. For example, i installed MX Player and at beginning it ask you if you want sw decoding. I pushed no and the issue occurred. Then i went to settings and changed to sw decoding and voilá... Also GPlayer and VLC players have this option (disable hardware acceleration).

Fix #2: (device settings). For all players even hardware decoding enabled (please, check and confirm i am right), android settings, more, developer options (you need to activate this hidden menu), scroll down to hardware-acelerated rendering, check last (turn off hardware overlays must be checked).

I also noted that...

No, I don't think it could be related. Surely because high CPU usage that moment because one or more processes...