[Q] No Data and Wifi data transfer (but connected))

Search This thread

hardtmuth

Feb 25, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm using moto g for about 2 weeks and everything was fine until yesterday. I will try to explain what I've chronologically. My phone isn't rooted. Android 4.4.2, 174.44.9.falcon_umta.Retail.en.GB, KLB20.9-1.10-1.9

For last few days I was testing some battery stretching apps, such as Juice Defender, 2x Battery, GreenPower and maybe one more, but I don't remember the name.Finally I've bought Juice Defender Plus as that app was something that I needed (control mobile and wifi in an intelligent way, but that's not the point). Before JD I've uninstalled other battery aps (but without reverting their settings to defaults). Then I've installed JD, configured it and started to learn JD with my wifi network, whatever.

Next day I went to work and I'm not sure if mobile network was working or not, but wifi network was ok. Updates, synch, etc. was working well. I've installed 2-3 new apps (don't remember, but it was camera360, total commander with few plugins, and maybe something more). Then I've left wifi network, entered car and connected with mobile network. From this point everything stopped to work. There was no connection to any site, no synch from google, weather, and so on. Icon on top of the screen informed me that connection is online (with H or H+, sometimes worse, but probably it doesn't matter). I've tried to connect with many apps to Internet, but none of them succeeded... I thought that maybe there is something wrong with mobile and after that, when I get back to wifi coverage, everything will rise and shine.

Unfortunately when I get back to wifi zone, phone found new network and connected to it. It doesn't matter what network it is, because few days ago I was working with that wifi net and more on that, laptop connected to that network works like a charm. As I said, connected, data transfer in 3g watchdog shows very little net usage (about 200-300B/s). Can't load web pages, can't sync. The same behavior as in mobile, there is connection, very little data usage, but nothing more, no web pages, no sync, etc..

I've restarted phone many times, entered in airplane mode, removed, cleaned and inserted back the sim card - none helped. I've checked ip, gateway and dns which came from dhcp router in wifi network. Everything was fine, addresses were the "same" as my laptop (beside ip address, which was different). I've checked what's up with JD, then I've disabled it, uninstalled..., checked transfer limit for mobile, turned on and off mobile, wifi in many ways. Checked proxy in browser (chrome).

The result was always the SAME.
in chrome: entered address, page starts to load, nothing shows and stalls, after a little while (tens of seconds) there was a message telling me something like: page is unavailable (I can't remember the right message).

in gmail: sync lasts forever, when I send email (to myself) it popups message about sending, but it disappears in a while, a no new email...

other apps, for example, weather on main screen, sync could last to eternity, and no new data.

Today, after whole day without wifi coverage I went back to wifi zone and tried to connect to it... and all emails, sync, whatsup and so on, updated. I think that, I didn't change nothing, but why wifi started to work? I don't know.

I've checked if mobile Internet works as it should, but without any positive results. In mobile there is the same problem as for a last 2 days...

Does someone know any solution to my problem?

PS: I've even tried to enter ip address of wp.pl host, and then phone redirected me to address: 194.9.223.70/ns/cs/deny.html?trx=...something&tpd=3&ts=somenumber&sid=HTTP_DRSTD&url=...mobile[dot]orange[dot]pl

samanderson

Apr 24, 2007
Penicuik
Are you able to send & receive calls? Have you checked your APN as well? Wondering if one of the apps you've tried has changed a setting or set itself as some kind of proxy that your phone's still trying to use even though you've uninstalled it.....not sure......had a similar experience when I tried out a firewall app & removed it without disabling the settings it applied. Can't think of anything else, sorry mate :(

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

hardtmuth

Feb 25, 2014
Are you able to send & receive calls? Have you checked your APN as well? Wondering if one of the apps you've tried has changed a setting or set itself as some kind of proxy that your phone's still trying to use even though you've uninstalled it.....not sure......had a similar experience when I tried out a firewall app & removed it without disabling the settings it applied. Can't think of anything else, sorry mate :(

Yes, sms and calls works fine. APN is okey, moment ago I've sent configuration sms for internet apn from my operator. I know that it could be one of my apps, which I've uninstalled, but I don' know which one it was :).

samanderson

Apr 24, 2007
Penicuik
Might be worth checking device administrators in settings as well just in case the culprits there? Good luck :)

hardtmuth

Feb 25, 2014
Might be worth checking device administrators in settings as well just in case the culprits there? Good luck :)

Checked that, there is only Android device manager (sorry, maybe there is another translation, I'm not using EN lang in my phone) enabled. The rest dev admins are disabled.

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
Factory reset. That way you start from scratch and if still a problem you can rule out any apps or incorrect config etc. Its the easiest way to narrow down the issue.

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Sounds like one of the apps is the problem, as you already suspect. You may have to concede and do a factory reset:
Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset​

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
Please make some effort... factory reset is not the first thing to do when sth is wrong.

I suggested a factory reset as this then rules out all apps and config you have setup. If the problem still happens after a factory reset then you have narrowed down the problem a lot. Possibly it will just fix it though.

However if you want to find the cause of the issue then factory resetting is not the best thing to do as you say. But you seem to have installed a whole bunch of apps in a short space of time so even if you find the problem I doubt you will be able to find out why it happened, ie which app caused it.

You will maybe fix it but never know what caused it or how to prevent it again.

If you factory reset and it fixes it you can take things more slowly this time, is install apps and configure more slowly until you hit the problem, then its easier to see what caused it.

hardtmuth

Feb 25, 2014
As there was no chance to get other suggestions than "do factory reset" :), I've made factory default. Unfortunately, without any change in my problem. Right now wifi works fine, but 3g/data is dead. I've checked my sim card in another phone and 3g/data didn't work too. So I've called to my telco and heard that everything is ok, but probably my sim card is damaged and that's why my data connection is dead. I will try to get new sim card tomorrow.

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
As there was no chance to get other suggestions than "do factory reset" :), I've made factory default. Unfortunately, without any change in my problem. Right now wifi works fine, but 3g/data is dead. I've checked my sim card in another phone and 3g/data didn't work too. So I've called to my telco and heard that everything is ok, but probably my sim card is damaged and that's why my data connection is dead. I will try to get new sim card tomorrow.

So those of us suggesting a factory reset were correct then. Had you not reset you would have spent wasted time trying to fix what now appears to be a sim card error. Possibly best not to tell people to 'make an effort' when they are trying to help.