WiFi Tether Router W/ Root is not working.

Search This thread

WhiteiceDMSTech

Oct 18, 2009
Washington, IL.
Hey All,

I just picked up my T-Mobile LG G3 last night and rooted it.

I am trying to use the tethering app like I did on the Nexus 5 but my other devices are not picking it up when I have it enabled on the new phone.

The app say's its enabled and shows the Name and passcode to join it, but again, no other devices that I was using before (ipad for example) see it when I scan for WiFi networks.

Can anyone please help? I use this app when at work and need to get it figured out and up and running again if possible.

Thank you,
Whiteice

hoy128

May 18, 2011
Is the Wifi Tether Router app you're using by Fabio Grasso?

That's the one I was using on my Nexus 5 without any issues. I also just moved over to the Tmo G3 and can't seem to get any of my devices to pick up the SSID either. The developer says that it does work on the G3 and I also followed the settings laid out by the developer in his devices configuration page but still a no go. I emailed him to see if he may have some suggestions but no word yet. Hopefully he replies with something I/we can try to get this running. It was a great app on all my previous phones. I have faith in this developer, he seems to update his apps fairly regularly.

WhiteiceDMSTech

Oct 18, 2009
Washington, IL.

That's the one I was using on my Nexus 5 without any issues. I also just moved over to the Tmo G3 and can't seem to get any of my devices to pick up the SSID either. The developer says that it does work on the G3 and I also followed the settings laid out by the developer in his devices configuration page but still a no go. I emailed him to see if he may have some suggestions but no word yet. Hopefully he replies with something I/we can try to get this running. It was a great app on all my previous phones. I have faith in this developer, he seems to update his apps fairly regularly.

Yes that is the same app I'm using.

I contacted him and he replied back asking Me to send a log file from within the app. I Did that this morning and waiting For further feedback. If I hear anything I Will report back here.

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010

I contacted him and he replied back asking Me to send a log file from within the app. I Did that this morning and waiting For further feedback. If I hear anything I Will report back here.

I had the SAME problem with the app with my G3 and I've been back and forth with him via email. I had to try a few methods he gave me but the last one finally did the trick!

Here's his email that had the steps to get it to work below:

strange, yes other users use this app on G3

please try this config

Interface wlan0
Method 2
Channel 1
Encryption wpa2-psk
"No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

Let me know

Thanks
Fabio

It works now, because the settings on his site and his emails weren't working, but the above finally did it for me.

But I noticed the the DNS process, /system/bin/dnsmasq, was using on average 40% of my CPU constantly with the app enabled. So I checked the "Use Internal DHCP" in the DHCP settings and the process ended and the CPU use returned to normal.

I had asked in a reply if this app uses IP Tables to mask the hotspot use as mobile use or still shows up as Hotspot with T-Mobile. I wasn't sure if enabling or disabling the Internal DHCP would negate it or not, but he hasn't responded back yet.

Does anyone know if this app does mask it as mobile and not hotspot?

I just came off of Sprint to T-Mobile two days ago and I always used the native hotspot function on my rooted Note 3 that masked it as mobile use.

Hope it works for you guys as well.

Reactions: WhiteiceDMSTech

WhiteiceDMSTech

Oct 18, 2009
Washington, IL.
I had the SAME problem with the app with my G3 and I've been back and forth with him via email. I had to try a few methods he gave me but the last one finally did the trick!

It works now, because the settings on his site and his emails weren't working, but the above finally did it for me.

But I noticed the the DNS process, /system/bin/dnsmasq, was using on average 40% of my CPU constantly with the app enabled. So I checked the "Use Internal DHCP" in the DHCP settings and the process ended and the CPU use returned to normal.

I had asked in a reply if this app uses IP Tables to mask the hotspot use as mobile use or still shows up as Hotspot with T-Mobile. I wasn't sure if enabling or disabling the Internal DHCP would negate it or not, but he hasn't responded back yet.

I just came off of Sprint to T-Mobile two days ago and I always used the native hotspot function on my rooted Note 3 that masked it as mobile use.

Just tried those settings and so far it appears to be working.

Thanks you Fabio,
Whiteice

hoy128

May 18, 2011
Darn, I wish it was working for me. I found that on Fabio's page and used those settings but they're still not working for me. Also tried to use the internal DHCP option but still no dice. I just sent Fabio my log file, hopefully he finds something that can get me up and running.

orbitalcomp

Sep 11, 2006
San Antonio

I can confirm the above settings including the internal DHCP work perfect on my end also!

As a side note, it also appears that the data usage shows up on my T-Mo account as regular "Internet Access", not Hot Spot usage. Maybe I was looking at it wrong, or maybe my account hasn't fully updated yet, but it looks promising.

Thanks to JustLok for the tips!

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
Google Pixel Watch 2
Good to know it works. I tried it a few days ago and I didn't get any data, so I uninstalled it. Now that you guys confirm it's working, I might buy it.

I've been trying to get the stock tether to work. Found where to change the APN so that it doesn't use the pcweb one that tracks as hotspot, but I'm running into other issues, some other checks that need to be circumvented. This app is probably using the fast APN since pcweb is only listed deeply in the frameworks-res.apk of the G3 and those should never be used unless this app tries to tether as DUN (which I doubt).

Question, does this app have Tasker integration?

Last edited:

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
Just to clarify...'No firmware reload' should be checked or unchecked? Cheers!

It would be unchecked, as listed in my post above in regards to the settings and tweaks to get it to work with D851 G3.

Also, been using it for days now and it does mask the tether use as mobile data and NOT as Hotspot data, as orbitalcomp confirmed, even using the internal DHCP server (which I was wondering if it would with the IP Table masking).

As for Tasker integration, I'm not sure what you mean havanahjoe with Tasker, as in the normal App Tasker or an app titled tasker?

I also noticed that my data connection just dies every so often, both on my G3 and my wife's G3. It show a connection with LTE and the data arrow up lit, but no data is moving. Even confirmed with the Internet Speed Meter Lite app that no data was being sent or received. I have to enable Airplane mode and then back off and the data connections becomes live again. I've read several reports of this on XDA too on Tmo G3's. This is either with the tether app or not, Tmo's data connection just stops working and needs to disconnect and reconnect to the tower/antenna to work again.

Finally, when using the widget for this tether app, when first tapping it (after a reboot or so), it does not enable it. You have to wait a little and then tap it again for it to enable. Once you get it to enable and become active, turning it on or off via the widget works on the first tap. It's just the first initial widget use upon a reboot that it takes two taps, about 5 secs apart to actually start up.

Reactions: galt

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
It would be unchecked, as listed in my post above in regards to the settings and tweaks to get it to work with D851 G3.

Also, been using it for days now and it does mask the tether use as mobile data and NOT as Hotspot data, as orbitalcomp confirmed, even using the internal DHCP server (which I was wondering if it would with the IP Table masking).

As for Tasker integration, I'm not sure what you mean havanahjoe with Tasker, as in the normal App Tasker or an app titled tasker?

I also noticed that my data connection just dies every so often, both on my G3 and my wife's G3. It show a connection with LTE and the data arrow up lit, but no data is moving. Even confirmed with the Internet Speed Meter Lite app that no data was being sent or received. I have to enable Airplane mode and then back off and the data connections becomes live again. I've read several reports of this on XDA too on Tmo G3's. This is either with the tether app or not, Tmo's data connection just stops working and needs to disconnect and reconnect to the tower/antenna to work again.

Finally, when using the widget for this tether app, when first tapping it (after a reboot or so), it does not enable it. You have to wait a little and then tap it again for it to enable. Once you get it to enable and become active, turning it on or off via the widget works on the first tap. It's just the first initial widget use upon a reboot that it takes two taps, about 5 secs apart to actually start up.
Thanks for the update and confirmation of mobile vs. Hotspot..which meets my own experience. FWIW, your settings quote from Fabio simply says "No Firmware Reload" and doesn't state checked or unchecked...which is why I asked. At least I can't see it on Tapatalk. [emoji4]

Sent from my amazing LGG3!

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
Google Pixel Watch 2

The hiding of the traffic is all about the APN. WiFi Tether Router uses the phone APN (fast.t-mobile.com) and the built-in hotspot uses pcweb.tmobile.com. That's why it's so easy to bypass, as long as WiFi Tether Router can do its thing by doing some iptables, dnsmasq and other Linux magic.

I have seen my LTE connection stop working from time to time. Not while tethering, but I rarely tether for more than 30 minutes at a time. Whenever I lose data, I just do the same, airplane mode on/off and it's back.

Tasker is an automation app. It's great for getting things done automatically. I use tethering in the car so that my dash mounted Nexus 7 can get internet. With Tasker, my hotspot is automatically turned on when I get in the car, and automatically turned off when I turn the car off. There is a method for applications to talk to each other in Android, these messages are called intents. With intents you can tell an app to shut down, to load a specific playlist (Spotify for example), or to enable/disable something. When using the stock Tether app, the system lets you toggle it with intents that Tasker already knows about. WiFi Tether Router has no intents, so there is no way to externally tell it to turn the hotspot on or off. The workaround is to emulate touching the enable/disable button (on the app or the widget). It's kludgy, but it works. It would be much cleaner and reliable if the dev enabled this functionality.

I tried the setting you suggested on the other thread, and by using Internal DHCP and not having WiFi Tether Router use DNSMasq to provide DHCP and DNS services, my battery drain is much more acceptable. I only lost 3% on my drive to work. I usually would lose 10% or more! This setting might be needed for other carriers where you do need to hide your data, but we don't have to worry about this with T-Mo.

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
Tasker is an automation app. It's great for getting things done automatically. I use tethering in the car so that my dash mounted Nexus 7 can get internet. With Tasker, my hotspot is automatically turned on when I get in the car, and automatically turned off when I turn the car off. There is a method for applications to talk to each other in Android, these messages are called intents. With intents you can tell an app to shut down, to load a specific playlist (Spotify for example), or to enable/disable something. When using the stock Tether app, the system lets you toggle it with intents that Tasker already knows about. WiFi Tether Router has no intents, so there is no way to externally tell it to turn the hotspot on or off. The workaround is to emulate touching the enable/disable button (on the app or the widget). It's kludgy, but it works. It would be much cleaner and reliable if the dev enabled this functionality.

I tried the setting you suggested on the other thread, and by using Internal DHCP and not having WiFi Tether Router use DNSMasq to provide DHCP and DNS services, my battery drain is much more acceptable. I only lost 3% on my drive to work. I usually would lose 10% or more! This setting might be needed for other carriers where you do need to hide your data, but we don't have to worry about this with T-Mo.

Thanks for that explanation on Tasker, when I mentioned it to my wife last night, she said she was already using it on her old HTC One M7, so much for me being ahead of the curve. Or on the curve even, I guess. :cyclops:

I have noticed when using the Wifi Tether App, sometimes my laptop won't or can't connect to the hotspot after a while using it. I use it for extended periods of time at work, hours on end even, and my laptop will just disconnect from my SSID and won't connect, despite it being live. The SSID is seen and the laptop tries to connect but then just says it cannot do so.

I need to reboot my laptop for it to connect to it again. I'm not sure if it's the IP lease on my laptop expired or wasn't renewed with the tether app. Unfortunately, I cannot perform an IP renew or release in CMD on my laptop, because it's disconnected and needs a connection to do it! So I can't narrow the error to that function or not.

When I use the native Hotspot with TMo, I didn't have this problem last week when I was using it for three days before getting the Tether app.

Just some experience with it so far, in case anyone else was seeing the same or so.

cwwjr1681

Jun 17, 2010
How the heck did you all get this app to work? I cant change my apn settings to ipv4 like he says too. Data cuts off when I do

clfuadam

Apr 22, 2015
after update to lollipop not working

I was trying different settings,
After factory reset T-mobile hotspot is working, but when I tried to run "WiFi Tether Router" even t-mobile hotspot is not working...
Are you guys using d851 with lollipop?
Could somebody post for me correct settings?
Thx

scbwdt

Jan 29, 2015
I was trying different settings,
After factory reset T-mobile hotspot is working, but when I tried to run "WiFi Tether Router" even t-mobile hotspot is not working...
Are you guys using d851 with lollipop?
Could somebody post for me correct settings?
Thx

This app is broken in g2/g3 lollipop. It will also break built in tmo hotspot app as well and you would have to factory reset to get it working again. I switch back to kitkat just to use this app and also see no benefit in lollipop.. yet..

888Plugin8.com

Mar 26, 2015
Can someone please help?

I can't get any of my computers to show the network name for WiFi tether router. I've never had this issue until today. My wife's phones doesn't have a problem, but mine won't show at all

VV00DY

Jun 17, 2012
I just switched to unlimited data on my LG G3 and got this app...

It works great with the G3 settings shown on the first page of this thread and on the app website. The speeds are the same on the device as on a client device so that's good...very fast LTE.

I originally tried setting the APN to LP4 (from default LP6) as the application directions stated must be done for T-Mobile but found that the network slowed (4G instead of LTE) and became somewhat unreliable. I'm wondering if this is even necessary on the G3 based on what I'm reading here. I switched the APN back to default.

My plan includes 5GB of tethering with unlimited on board so the problem is that how can I tell which data I'm using? My account page only shows unlimited it doesn't show how much of that is used for tethering even when I used the native tether app. I suppose I just have to try and go over and see what happens?

bbergin76

Feb 21, 2015
Moto G7 Power
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've got this working on Cloudy 2.5 but the data is being counted as Hotspot data. Other than the settings earlier in the thread is there anything else I need to change so that it doesn't get counted as Hot Spot data?

TIA!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

strange, yes other users use this app on G3

please try this config

Interface wlan0
    Method 2
    Channel 1
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    "No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

Let me know

Thanks
    Fabio

Woo hoo...I overlooked the method. Just confirmed the strings above works. Thanks all/Fabio!