The WP7 TIPS and TRICK'S' Thread

Search This thread

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
In the next view day's I will get a hd7 to , and I think there is a need for a good tips and tricks thread.
I will be harvesting tips and tricks on xda for this new operating system .

I need you all to make this an useful thread , if you have some tips or tricks please post them here and I will update the first view posts .

1) general

2) we need tips on using ZUNE

3) Syncing Outlook , (email,contacts)

4) Multimedia

5) Mod's

oh and please don't start a flame war here , this is only for tips and tricks.

this first post will be used for general tips and tricks

72 Windows Phone 7 tips and tricks here:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36413/72-windows-phone-7-tips

Top 10 are:

1. Using the Windows Phone 7 voice controls
Press and hold the Windows key at the bottom of your screen and you can start talking to your phone. Try saying "Open Calendar", to see what we mean.

2. Adding apps to the Start screen
When you are in the long applications list on your phone pressing on an icon and holding brings up a contextual menu that gives you a series of options, one of which is "pin to start". Press on this option and the app will be shown on the Start screen.

3. Add people to the start page
No it's not just about adding apps to the start page, but people too. Find them in your contacts book, click on the "pin" icon, and they'll be added to your Start page so you can speed dial them whenever you need.

4. Moving your tiles around
Adding a new app or tile to the Start screen will place it right at the bottom. If you want it to be elsewhere, press and hold on the tile in question and then you are free to move it up and down and rearrange your tiles to best suit your needs.

5. Removing apps from the Start screen
You like the app, but you don't really want it on your Start screen anymore. No worries. Hold your finger on the tile in question for a couple of seconds and when it highlights press the no pin icon in the top right-hand corner.

6. Uninstalling apps
You've tried it and you don't like it. No problem. Head over to the menu list and press down on the app in question until you get the contextual menu. Select uninstall and you're done.

7. Rating and reviewing apps
You really love the new app you've downloaded, so much so that you want to rate and review it so anyone else interested knows whether it's any good or not. With Windows Phone 7 you don't have to wait until you delete it to rate it, you can rate and review it at any time. Press and hold down on the app in question until that contextual menu appears and then choose "Rate and review". It will bring up another page allowing you to have your say and give it a rating out of five. Easy peasy.

8. How to change the theme
If you've got your Windows Phone 7 phone from Vodafone the theme is going to be all red, O2 is dishing out blue themes and Orange, orange ones. An all red themed phone might be a bit much (we hear you), but fret not as you can change the colour of the tiles and other features in the Setting area. Zip on over to the menu list, select Settings, and then Theme. Here you can choose the colour of the background and the accent colour. Background options are "Black" or "White" while you'll get nine accent colours to pick from. Lime, anyone?

9. Swipe to the left
Windows Phone 7 is built around the idea of panoramic tiles that you swipe to reveal more content off screen. It's always worth seeing if you can swipe to the left as there might be more stuff waiting to be revealed.

10. What are the dots?
Whenever you see three dots at the bottom of the screen, that's a menu for more options. In photo playback for example, it will give you the options to delete the image or perform a quick upload.

I have some few questions:

- How to quickly switch the phone to Silent mode/Vibrate, etc?
Press the volume button on the side and change from Ring to Vibrate and vicer versa
- How to quickly stop the audioplayer playing when you are somewhere else in the menu ?
Press volume button and audioplayer should show in a bar at the top and you can pause the song
- Why some album cover arts are wrong, or black in Zune?
Don't know, haven't noticed that yet
- Is there a way to change the music/audio settings (equalizer, bass, treble ?)
Download HTC App Sound Enhancer, allows some changes to be made.
thanks

A couple of tips from me.

Firstly - More for O2 members here regarding call waiting, call divert etc. All from the O2 website as their help desk aren't up to speed on the device yet:-

If you're not reachable, you can:
  • Activate diverts by pressing * * 62 * 901 # [send]
  • Cancel diverts by pressing # # 62 # [send]
  • Check the status of your divert by pressing * # 62 # [send]
To divert calls when your phone is busy:

• Press * * 67 * 901 # [send] to activate
  • Press # # 67 # [send] to cancel
  • Check status by pressing * # 67 # [send]
To divert calls when there's no reply:

• Press * *61 * 901 * 11 * number of seconds # [send]
  • Cancel by Pressing # # 61 # [send]
  • Check status by pressing * # 61 # [send]
Note: You only need to press * 11 * if you want to change the length of time your phone rings before it goes to Voicemail. It's normally set to 30 seconds, but if you prefer, you can amend this to 5 - 25 seconds in increments of five seconds.
To divert all calls:

• Key * * 21 * 901 # [send]
  • Cancel by keying # # 21 # [send]
  • Check status by keying * # 21 # [send]
To cancel all your diverts:

• Key # # 002 # [send]

Call waiting
Call waiting lets you take another call when you're already on the phone. Just dial *43# [send] and you'll be able to see if someone's trying to get through when you're already on a call. It's free to all O2 customers.

Have set but not fully tested any of this yet. The device confirms the settings when you send so I'm assuming it has worked.

Next set of tips is for those of you wanting to use Exchange (whether business or personal) rather than Live for your contacts and calendar.

1. Outlook in Office 2010 will enable you to have 2 Exchange accounts on the same profile!! This means that if you have a business and personal exchange account you can have them both open on one Outlook at the same time and it means ..... you can do the same drag and drop as if you had used the Outlook connector to link to Live!
  2. When setting up the Exchange accounts on the phone, remember - the Server is the OWA address not the actual server address.
More later

How to have multi-language dictionaries [WP7 autocorrects my English words]

Select multiple keyboard languages in the settings. When done so, your virtual keyboard will show a regional button right of the spacebar. Changing keyboard layout will change the dictionary.

Last edited:

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
VUZE Tips

answers_logo.png

I suggest you spill your mind on these boards http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7/threads
At least it gets some exposure for Microsoft.

ZUNE 4.7 Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab377432-756a-4089-84f4-776ce7bbaff2

Microsoft HowTo
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/default.aspx

Last edited:

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
syncing , (email,contacts,Outlook,Facebook)

cut down Facebook contacts.

Found out how to cut down on the number of Facebook contacts:

From the microsoft website

By default, all of your Facebook friends appear as contacts on your phone. If you have lots of Facebook friends showing up in your contacts list, you can choose to only show friends who are already contacts on your phone. (So, if a Facebook friend is also a contact in Windows Live or Google, their Facebook information will still show up in your contacts list. All other friends will be hidden from the list.)

1 From Start, flick left to the Applications list and then press Settings.

2 Press Applications and then press People.

3 Under Include Facebook friends as contacts, press Only add Facebook information to existing contacts to filter out Facebook friends who don't already have a contact card on your phone.

Note

This option only filters Facebook friends from your contacts list in People. It doesn't change whose social updates you'll see in What's new.
Contacts from SIM
Unfortunately it's not simple. This is how I did it...

I synced my HD2 phone with Outlook, then downloaded the Hotmail Outlook Connector which allowed me to sign into my Windows Live Hotmail account through Outlook then Outlook shows me two accounts - my old ActiveSync Local account and my Windows Live Hotmail account and it's just then a simple case of clicking and dragging from one to the other. The Windows Phone 7 will then just sync the changes automatically from your Windows Live account.

or you can look here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/people/import-contacts-from-my-old-phone.aspx

Hope this helps.

contacts from Outlook to my phone.

I managed to successfully transfer my contacts from Outlook to my phone. As advised I downloaded Outlook Hotmail Connector from here and installed it.

It didn't make any noticeable changes in Outlook.
I then set up my Hotmail account in Outlook which synced with all my existing Hotmail contacts (all 10 of them!)

I then proceeded to copy all my Outlook contacts to my Hotmail contacts in Outlook and then synced the Mozart with my Windows Live ID (ie my Hotmail) and all the Contacts that I copied synced across as well!

Long and inconvenient for my liking, but saves having to enter them all individually one by one.

I initially thought it didn't work, because when I logged into my Hotmail on the web, it doesn't update the Contacts on there, but after syncing with my phone, it was fine.

I'm now going to try the same for the Calender as well. EDIT: Works for Calender as well!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: kiyobi

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
Multimedia

FM Radio.
The HD7 DOES have FM Radio it can be found under the Music & Video Hub

:)

Pictures uploading.
This is sort of a tip... a tip-off to a cool feature...

When you are in the pictures gallery, if you upload a picture to a service like skydrive off of your phone then... it's 'up' loaded in the gallery if you zoom out.

WTFfU.jpg

I thought it was really simple but really awesome lol...

(It's not persistent though, only for that viewing of the gallery...)

pinning.
When pinning a page to your start screen in Internet Explorer:

Make sure you are zoomed in on a recognisable part of the page. The current zoom level of the page becomes the Tile snapshot image.

Tip is then: Zoom in on the page logo etc!

e.g. XDA:
KMDtD.jpg

change the picture on picture tile

To change the picture on the picture tile on Home page, Tap Pictures tile, scroll to Pictures hub then hold your finger somewhere above the pics & a context menu will appear. Select 'Change background' & then select the pic you want to use. This changes the tile & the pic is also used as the background for the Pictures hub. Cool eh!!! :cool:

Last edited:

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
mod's and tricks

Creating a gold card
here is a way to get every stock rom on your HD7 phone.
(I tested it and it works :D)

Happy XMAS :

Go and get your WM7 or Android goldcard for free :

Link to the goldcard generator

In order to use the WM7 goldcard, just use an Host USB Cable (Developer Y-Cable) and connect a sdcard reader to it.

Edit :
For those who do not understand how to use the goldcard :

- Use any sdcard and a wm5 or android device to make the goldcard (Yet we do not know how to read the cid using WM7)
- Buy a Mini USB On the go Y-Cable like this one :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-USB-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1292614709&sr=8-1
Also buy a converter from standard usb to micro usb.
OR build a usb otg host cable by yourself.
- Get an external usb sdcard reader
- Connect the cable this way : Phone is connected to 1x usb sdcard reader and 1x usb port for power.
Then you can use your newly generated goldcard for flashing any HTC OEM Rom :)

WBR,
Viper BJK

Cees.
To get your CID you need a wm 6.* phone and PSAS http://psas.revskills.de/
1) format your sd-card (fat) and put it in a wm6.* phone and sync it with the pc.
2) Install PSAS and run as admin.
3) goto calculators/generators
4) goto select a device key (pick any)
5) hit the "get sd card serial from WINCE device"
6) copy the generated key and paste it in "SD Card Serial (CID): *"on the goldcard generator web-page.

If you buy the software you can make your goldcards yourself http://psas.revskills.de/?q=payment
Just to clear things up :

1. The goldcard generator works currently for all WM7 HTC phones, including Mozart, Gold and Schubert.

2. Connect the y-cable with sdcard reader and inserted goldcard, connect power usb to notebook or charger.

3. Press camera+volume down+power on to enter the bootloader in host mode.

If you haven't got a y-cable (otg), you can build it by yourself, see attachment.

attachment.php

The ruu_signed.nbh should be stored on the goldcard with the filename :

- SCHUIMG.nbh for Schubert
- MONDIMG.nbh for Mondrian
- MOZAIMG.nbh for Mozart

And the goldcard should be in the sdcard reader connected to usb cable.

And SPARIMG.nbh for Trophy
Tested on all 4 devices
Thank you!

Transparent Lockscreen

Bootloader mode.
I have managed to get into boot loader mode it has a sandisk sd card .

while connected to a pc press power + volume down.
Hard reset.
If you hold down both Vol buttons at start-up you can hard reset ;)
Fake location (for users that have no marketplace in there home location)
I got my HTC trophy 7 today and i found some stuff out.

1st, when you link your live account to the phone, you'll automatically get an e-mail from Microsoft phone 7 in your inbox.
this had some useful links in it. for example, I didn't download the full zune package, but another version witch works as well and is quite a bit smaller.

2nd, create an extra live account with false location settings, i set mine on Beverly hills, California, so you can access marketplace, xbox live etc.
(you can add an other account for your e-mail settings etc)

tested it out today, and it works :D

Handy Tip #1: long hold the Start button to activate voice recognition (eg "open calendar")

Handy Tip #2: the traditional notification bar (signal strength, 3G, WiFi status etc) is mostly hidden by default unless something changes. Tap near the top of the screen to temporarily show all this information (for example, if you want to make sure you're connected to WiFi before downloading an app or an update). On my HD7, the sweet spot seems to be the HTC logo at the top of the screen.

Handy Tip #3: To remove an app from your phone, press and hold on its icon in the app list and select uninstall. You can also rate a downloaded app for the marketplace here.

Handy Tip #4 (possibly only applies to O2 HD7 users, maybe only in Ireland): If Internet Explorer is having trouble loading particular websites (for example, imgur), add the apn "internet" in "mobile network" under settings.

pair with your PC.
Ok one more everyone should do...

Phone music & calls to PC Speakers

For me the headset & AV service work perfectly, straight away.

Turn on bluetooth, pair with your PC, and touch again to connect.

Apparently my old HTC Desire had these services (AV Source and Headset) but it always paired but didn't maintain a connection... no obvious reason, didn't bother to look up why lol.
I was just excited when as soon as I connected with my PC with WP7, the Headset service asked for permission and after that all phone audio came through!

Old news to some but it is really cool having your phone blast music through your PC speakers wirelessly ;) absolutely no effort or hassle at all!

Edit: Even before the phone has fully booted it connects to the PC :D you even hear the keypresses to unlock the phone... simple things lol.

Only Alarm sound.
I leave my phone on silent every night and the alarm still sounds fine in the morning. To put it on silent click the volume up/down button and press on the bell icon. It'll change to vibrate, but the alarm will still sound.

Email Signature.
Go to your email, go to settings then tick use an email signature and change it from 'Sent from my Windows Phone'

Another probably Samsung only tip: Tethering!

Another probably Samsung only tip: Tethering!

Call ##634#
From the new debugging menu, enter: *#7284#

You see three options come up: Zune, Modem Tethered Call, Modem Diagnostic.

Select the 2nd option. A restart is prompted. After this, when you connect via USB to a PC it configures a samsung modem. You'll need your mobile operators network login details, but there you go.

A number of people are having problems with the drivers, more on that as it develops I guess.

FieldTest

Could you try this?
##3282#
:cool:
Edit: confirmed working on HTC HD7

How to format your sd card to use it again on windows

So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

service mode (HTC)

i found it !

it's service mode :

The Service Mode key (e.g.: the camera button) was pressed at power-on.
Boot to the ULDR to allow the phone to be serviced.

Here is a link to the Microsoft website with a lot of tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/tips-and-tricks.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: ma7ija

mtem1985

Oct 26, 2008
I got mine trophy 7 today and i found some stuff out.

1st, when you link your live account to the phone, you'll automaticly get an e-mail from microsoft phone 7 in your inbox.
this had some usefull links in it. for exemple, I didn't download the full zune package, but another version wich works as well and is quite a bit smaller.

2nd, create an extra live account with false location settings, i set mine on beverly hills, california, so you can acces marketplace, xbox live etc.
(you can add an other account for your e-mail settings etc)

tested it out today, and it works :D

My normal live account is a mess with contacts and e-mails so I didn't connect my normal account to it because windows phone 7 automaticly sync's with it and mine people tabs was a real mess, so i had to revert to factory settings, and start over again, keep that in mind.

as far as i've played with it today it works like a charm and I think this OS will be more mainstream than the old windows mobile OS'es because it's far more user friendly.

BTW: i'm from holland to ;)
BTW2: you got 2 times 3 ;)
BTW3: havent tested out the multimedia stuff yet, just browsed through the zune stuff etc.

Last edited:

sameerabedi

Sep 16, 2008
I see my posts from my thread have been nicked for this thread!!

I've hoping to have the same type as thread as this for the one I started. Oh well, as long as the info is out there, perhaps the two threads should be combined.

Anyone worked out how to set your own ringtones?

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
I see my posts from my thread have been nicked for this thread!!

I've hoping to have the same type as thread as this for the one I started. Oh well, as long as the info is out there, perhaps the two threads should be combined.

Anyone worked out how to set your own ringtones?

don't be angry :) , I am harvesting in all WP7 threads to get some useful stuff posted here .

ps , it is WP7 and not WM7

I hope that there will be more people post some useful stuff here :) .

Last edited:

sameerabedi

Sep 16, 2008
don't be angry :) , I am harvesting in all WP7 threads to get some useful stuff posted here .

ps , it is WP7 and not WM7

I hope that there will be more people post some useful stuff here :) .

It's ok, I'm not angry, glad that I can be of some use for a change, rather than nick everyone's ideas! :)

I've been corrected on the name, but I don't know how to change the title of the thread!

I'm hoping there'll at least be a 3rd party app for ringtones??

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
It's ok, I'm not angry, glad that I can be of some use for a change, rather than nick everyone's ideas! :)

I've been corrected on the name, but I don't know how to change the title of the thread!

I'm hoping there'll at least be a 3rd party app for ringtones??

to change the title :
go to edit and then go to advanced , then you can edit the title .

wheresmybeaver

Jul 24, 2008
Handy Tip #1: long hold the Start button to activate voice recognition (eg "open calendar")

Handy Tip #2: the traditional notification bar (signal strength, 3G, WiFi status etc) is mostly hidden by default unless something changes. Tap near the top of the screen to temporarily show all this information (for example, if you want to make sure you're connected to WiFi before downloading an app or an update). On my HD7, the sweet spot seems to be the HTC logo at the top of the screen.

Handy Tip #3: To remove an app from your phone, press and hold on its icon in the app list and select uninstall. You can also rate a downloaded app for the marketplace here.

Handy Tip #4 (possibly only applies to O2 HD7 users, maybe only in Ireland): If Internet Explorer is having trouble loading particular websites (for example, imgur), add the apn "internet" in "mobile network" under settings.

evilangelic

Jan 19, 2010
Birmingham
This is sort of a tip... a tip-off to a cool feature...

When you are in the pictures gallery, if you upload a picture to a service like skydrive off of your phone then... it's 'up' loaded in the gallery if you zoom out.

WTFfU.jpg

I thought it was really simple but really awesome lol...

(It's not persistent though, only for that viewing of the gallery...)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the next view day's I will get a hd7 to , and I think there is a need for a good tips and tricks thread.
    I will be harvesting tips and tricks on xda for this new operating system .

I need you all to make this an useful thread , if you have some tips or tricks please post them here and I will update the first view posts .

1) general

2) we need tips on using ZUNE

3) Syncing Outlook , (email,contacts)

4) Multimedia

5) Mod's

oh and please don't start a flame war here , this is only for tips and tricks.

this first post will be used for general tips and tricks

72 Windows Phone 7 tips and tricks here:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36413/72-windows-phone-7-tips

Top 10 are:

1. Using the Windows Phone 7 voice controls
    Press and hold the Windows key at the bottom of your screen and you can start talking to your phone. Try saying "Open Calendar", to see what we mean.

2. Adding apps to the Start screen
    When you are in the long applications list on your phone pressing on an icon and holding brings up a contextual menu that gives you a series of options, one of which is "pin to start". Press on this option and the app will be shown on the Start screen.

3. Add people to the start page
    No it's not just about adding apps to the start page, but people too. Find them in your contacts book, click on the "pin" icon, and they'll be added to your Start page so you can speed dial them whenever you need.

4. Moving your tiles around
    Adding a new app or tile to the Start screen will place it right at the bottom. If you want it to be elsewhere, press and hold on the tile in question and then you are free to move it up and down and rearrange your tiles to best suit your needs.

5. Removing apps from the Start screen
    You like the app, but you don't really want it on your Start screen anymore. No worries. Hold your finger on the tile in question for a couple of seconds and when it highlights press the no pin icon in the top right-hand corner.

6. Uninstalling apps
    You've tried it and you don't like it. No problem. Head over to the menu list and press down on the app in question until you get the contextual menu. Select uninstall and you're done.

7. Rating and reviewing apps
    You really love the new app you've downloaded, so much so that you want to rate and review it so anyone else interested knows whether it's any good or not. With Windows Phone 7 you don't have to wait until you delete it to rate it, you can rate and review it at any time. Press and hold down on the app in question until that contextual menu appears and then choose "Rate and review". It will bring up another page allowing you to have your say and give it a rating out of five. Easy peasy.

8. How to change the theme
    If you've got your Windows Phone 7 phone from Vodafone the theme is going to be all red, O2 is dishing out blue themes and Orange, orange ones. An all red themed phone might be a bit much (we hear you), but fret not as you can change the colour of the tiles and other features in the Setting area. Zip on over to the menu list, select Settings, and then Theme. Here you can choose the colour of the background and the accent colour. Background options are "Black" or "White" while you'll get nine accent colours to pick from. Lime, anyone?

9. Swipe to the left
    Windows Phone 7 is built around the idea of panoramic tiles that you swipe to reveal more content off screen. It's always worth seeing if you can swipe to the left as there might be more stuff waiting to be revealed.

10. What are the dots?
    Whenever you see three dots at the bottom of the screen, that's a menu for more options. In photo playback for example, it will give you the options to delete the image or perform a quick upload.

I have some few questions:

- How to quickly switch the phone to Silent mode/Vibrate, etc?
    Press the volume button on the side and change from Ring to Vibrate and vicer versa
    - How to quickly stop the audioplayer playing when you are somewhere else in the menu ?
    Press volume button and audioplayer should show in a bar at the top and you can pause the song
    - Why some album cover arts are wrong, or black in Zune?
    Don't know, haven't noticed that yet
    - Is there a way to change the music/audio settings (equalizer, bass, treble ?)
    Download HTC App Sound Enhancer, allows some changes to be made.
    thanks

A couple of tips from me.

Firstly - More for O2 members here regarding call waiting, call divert etc. All from the O2 website as their help desk aren't up to speed on the device yet:-

If you're not reachable, you can:
    • Activate diverts by pressing * * 62 * 901 # [send]
    • Cancel diverts by pressing # # 62 # [send]
    • Check the status of your divert by pressing * # 62 # [send]
    To divert calls when your phone is busy:

• Press * * 67 * 901 # [send] to activate
    • Press # # 67 # [send] to cancel
    • Check status by pressing * # 67 # [send]
    To divert calls when there's no reply:

• Press * *61 * 901 * 11 * number of seconds # [send]
    • Cancel by Pressing # # 61 # [send]
    • Check status by pressing * # 61 # [send]
    Note: You only need to press * 11 * if you want to change the length of time your phone rings before it goes to Voicemail. It's normally set to 30 seconds, but if you prefer, you can amend this to 5 - 25 seconds in increments of five seconds.
    To divert all calls:

• Key * * 21 * 901 # [send]
    • Cancel by keying # # 21 # [send]
    • Check status by keying * # 21 # [send]
    To cancel all your diverts:

• Key # # 002 # [send]

Call waiting
    Call waiting lets you take another call when you're already on the phone. Just dial *43# [send] and you'll be able to see if someone's trying to get through when you're already on a call. It's free to all O2 customers.

Have set but not fully tested any of this yet. The device confirms the settings when you send so I'm assuming it has worked.

Next set of tips is for those of you wanting to use Exchange (whether business or personal) rather than Live for your contacts and calendar.

1. Outlook in Office 2010 will enable you to have 2 Exchange accounts on the same profile!! This means that if you have a business and personal exchange account you can have them both open on one Outlook at the same time and it means ..... you can do the same drag and drop as if you had used the Outlook connector to link to Live!
    2. When setting up the Exchange accounts on the phone, remember - the Server is the OWA address not the actual server address.
    More later

How to have multi-language dictionaries [WP7 autocorrects my English words]

Select multiple keyboard languages in the settings. When done so, your virtual keyboard will show a regional button right of the spacebar. Changing keyboard layout will change the dictionary.
    Marketplace Search

I don't know if this has been covered or not, but if you suffix your search in marketplace with the content type it filters everything else out

Example:

Google app - Apps only
    Google Song - Songs Only
    Google Album - Albums/Songs Only

This is useful for searches that have common names in them.
    Thought I'd post a link to a list I made of some tips: http://www.creepinjesus.net/10-of-my-favourite-windows-phone-7-tips. I consider these the "not-so-obvious" tips - ones you wouldn't know about unless someone told you.

Hope they're helpful :)
    Pinning Webpage Tip

When pinning a page to your start screen in Internet Explorer:

Make sure you are zoomed in on a recognisable part of the page. The current zoom level of the page becomes the Tile snapshot image.

Tip is then: Zoom in on the page logo etc!

e.g. XDA:
    KMDtD.jpg
    Winter gloves

If you live in one of the colder climates, and wear regulation winter gloves, you will have to take off your gloves to answer the phone (or do anything else).

For things like answering the phone, or reading emails & sms, here is a tip: Use your nose. Do not use your tongue - that's gross.