[SOLVED] [Q] Testapps ... in market/play

Search This thread

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
One fine day noticed this sitting at the top of the apps list in market.

Clicking open launches Tetris. Tried freezing tetris and it disappeared, unfroze and it came back. Does this mean it's really a mislabeled entry for tetris and not malware of some sort? But why now all of a sudden?

Solution: See this post.

Attachments

• screenshot_2012-03-31_0231.jpg
    screenshot_2012-03-31_0231.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 96
  • screenshot_2012-03-31_0231_1.jpg
    screenshot_2012-03-31_0231_1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
One fine day noticed this sitting at the top of the apps list in market.

Clicking open launches Tetris. Tried freezing tetris and it disappeared, unfroze and it came back. Does this mean it's really a mislabeled entry for tetris and not malware of some sort? But why now all of a sudden?

I don't know. I think it's safe though-read some reviews

Sent from my R800i using XDA

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
In market on the phone, there are 337 comments (as of now), but nothing on the web market.

Also, all those reviewing it as safe are simply doing so because hitting open on the app launches tetris. I may be wrong but it could also simply be linking to tetris while actually being more malicious underneath. Kinda like how even a simple batch file can launch two apps (or more) and one app may be a background process, while the other is the visible smokescreen...

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
I would assume that this app is malicious, as the developers website link, links to a dead domain. I'd suggest removing it asap.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
Can't really remove it, even with a system utility, because we simply don't know what to remove!

And freezing/removing tetris seems to remove the entry from the app list in market. If it's trojan-like, it's very well integrated.

I think we're entering a new era of android malware, and it's pretty scary...

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
Can't really remove it, even with a system utility, because we simply don't know what to remove!

And freezing/removing tetris seems to remove the entry from the app list in market. If it's trojan-like, it's very well integrated.

I think we're entering a new era of android malware, and it's pretty scary...

Look in /data/app or /sd/android.secure for any .apk with that apps icon, delete the .apk then format dalvik cache and it's gone :D

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
So I deleted cache/cleared data for google play, uninstalled it back to the market version and then let it reinstall the google play update and the entry seems to have disappeared. Time will tell...

D

Deleted member 4493700

I looked at it now the icon is yellow and it has a blue and a green picture as the app preview. I uninstalled tetris a long time ago so it has the download option on mine.I'm not going to attempt to download.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
So it's definitely tetris then? Just with a buggy market entry?

Dang, there goes my whole malware conspiracy theory...

D

Deleted member 4493700

So it's definitely tetris then? Just with a buggy market entry?

Dang, there goes my whole malware conspiracy theory...

I'm not sure. When I look up tetris, it shows up normally. When i look up testapps it shows the glitchy thing.maybe it's something that came with tetris? Anyway doesn't google recently for malware apps?

Sent from my R800x using XDA

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
Wait, where do you see tetris normally? It doesn't show in the market app list anyway...

The Alpha Gamer

May 7, 2011
It's only appeared since the lasted market update, which made some of our other bloatware appear in that list too. I'd say it's just a bloatware version of Tetris, instead of just using the normal download of it.