Best clean Odin version - newbie question

Search This thread

Steamed

Apr 26, 2014
Hi this is my first post here so please be gentle. i did search for this answer but truthfully i'm only new to Android as I've been a Iphone user for years and years. I don't even know the correct 'Android' terminology to search for information but i'm picking it up quickly i think.

Recently I purchased my first Samsung Galaxy S4 and it died an hour later so once i had that replaced I spoke to my telecommunications provider (Telstra Australia) and the guy on the phone was really helpful and he told me to nuke my new phone and get a version of Odin (the open UK version I think) and i wrote down everything he said but unfortunately either my daughter or my girlfriend found a better use for that piece of paper and now I don't know which version he referred to.

Essentially he explained that Telstra has layered it's own software over the top of the Samsung and Android software and that it made it a slower device and also received slower updates (months later) so i thought what he said made good sense.

Can anybody please tell me which version this guy would have been referring to, or at least a good version to run with instead of what I have already?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Steamed

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
Hi this is my first post here so please be gentle. i did search for this answer but truthfully i'm only new to Android as I've been a Iphone user for years and years. I don't even know the correct 'Android' terminology to search for information but i'm picking it up quickly i think.

Recently I purchased my first Samsung Galaxy S4 and it died an hour later so once i had that replaced I spoke to my telecommunications provider (Telstra Australia) and the guy on the phone was really helpful and he told me to nuke my new phone and get a version of Odin (the open UK version I think) and i wrote down everything he said but unfortunately either my daughter or my girlfriend found a better use for that piece of paper and now I don't know which version he referred to.

Essentially he explained that Telstra has layered it's own software over the top of the Samsung and Android software and that it made it a slower device and also received slower updates (months later) so i thought what he said made good sense.

Can anybody please tell me which version this guy would have been referring to, or at least a good version to run with instead of what I have already?

Steamed

Dial *#1234# to see your s4 model and current version and tell us all three lines.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

Reactions: abbaskip

abbaskip

Oct 6, 2010

Steamed

Hey mate, the version of Odin shouldn't matter TOO much. Just get the latest 3.09.

It's only about 9 megs I think.

However, to use it (and avoid voiding your warranty) you will also need an official Samsung rom. Best place to go for that is http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ though their downloads are often slow.

Make sure you get a Samsung version, and not a play version or black version. The Russian version: XXUFNC9 should be fine for your needs.

Flash it as AP and make sure repartition is NOT checked.

You may also need to first install Kies from Samsung (and ensure it's not running in the background when launching Odin) to get the drivers (so that Odin recognises your device).

Post back here if you're stuck at any stage.

I imagine this thread also should be in the Q&A forum. Maybe a mod should move it?

EDIT: Just saw the post above me: Good advice, I assumed you were on a Telstra I9505T or I9505 (as that's the Telstra S4 4G that I have - but best to check your model first).

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
Great advice from the guy on the phone....

Don't even think about flashing software on your phone if you don't know the basics yet.

Read the forums, learn the basics, read what to do when the flashing fails.

Odin is the program to flash the official roms on your phone. Learn what Knox is, what custom roms are and what custom recovery is.

This forum is flooded by people that screw there phone up because they don't take the time to read the basics. They just follow a guide and then it's help it does not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Steamed

Dial *#1234# to see your s4 model and current version and tell us all three lines.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2