Search This thread

retrolife1981

Dec 4, 2011
got to change file systems permissions chmod root wheel rw x then you can overwrite the sys partition to install root or you can do it with terminal emulater on the tablet. You can bypass the market for now and install busybox and super user if you allow 3rd party apks to be installed and download busybox and super user from the browser and astro file manager ttheres also a market site in the browser you can use. You will need su binaries zip and extract it to the root of internal storage and copy su folder to root of internal storage and run a few commands in terminal from the tab and you should have root in like 5 minutes of total dl'ing and typing and installing

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
got to change file systems permissions chmod root wheel rw x then you can overwrite the sys partition to install root or you can do it with terminal emulater on the tablet. You can bypass the market for now and install busybox and super user if you allow 3rd party apks to be installed and download busybox and super user from the browser and astro file manager ttheres also a market site in the browser you can use. You will need su binaries zip and extract it to the root of internal storage and copy su folder to root of internal storage and run a few commands in terminal from the tab and you should have root in like 5 minutes of total dl'ing and typing and installing
can't change permission /system is cramfs which is read-only

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
I will give it a shot, but I will tell you right now, don't think it will allow
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system

About to try in a minute anyway, I'll keep thread posted

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly it did not work, as I do not have cmdclient in /system/bin or anywhere else that I can see either. I kinda see how that could work if we knew the proper file to interact with on our system.

Code:
$ /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
/system/bin/cmdclient: not found

Didn't even make it to the part I thought would break it! lol Gonna do more research on this method though. Thanks again retro

sadsephiroth

Dec 1, 2011
just one problem though, i wasn't able to get the update.img. So unless I can get a copy of someone else's, I am just playing with the .imgs from different partitions. I really think I could get it if I had the update.img. Anyone willing to send me one from their tablet? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Would this work? hxxp://southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/firmware/
replace xx with tt

drob311

Su is already in xbin and busybox is already in bin, came like that straight out of the box...
42575e64-971d-a03f.jpg
42575e64-9754-7274.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bew46b ... this is the ptab7200... let me know if you need anymore files... gtalk me drob311420 @ gmail.com

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
Thanks for the firmware link. When I was on the main support page least week it said there were no updates. Now it is 2.4 and I am on 2.2. Time to get to work on this!

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

dennyik74

Nov 12, 2011
kansas
update img

so please forgive me im such a noob its not funny but i have acquired a 2.4 firmware upgrade file for this tablet is this useful at all to change anything for rooting

Just e-mailed the tablet producers to ask for an SDK. My guess is that they won't respond, but still worth a shot.

PS: Thanks to the person that released the 2.4 upgrade. Even though Android Market still closes when I open it, it now recognizes my tablet as a Polaroid. PMID 700 and says that all the apps I tried installing online should work on it (which of course it doesn't because the market still closes).

Sent from my LG-P506 using XDA App

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
[QOUTE=rozzops;19795088]So i moved the update.img to my linux box and tried to mount it but i get:
Code:
rozzo@ubuntu:~/Documents/rooting$ sudo mount -t cramfs -o loop update.img update
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
[/QOUTE]

I think I may have found out why this isn't working. Turns out Linux Kernel 3.0.0 (Ubuntu 11.10) doesn't have cramfs turned on all the way. I just taught myself how to download, configure, and compile the source to add full support. Turns out it is pretty easy it is just taking forever to build!! Anyway, hopefully with this I will be able to mount boot.img so we can customize to allow ext3 system partition

Last edited:

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
I think I may have found out why this isn't working. Turns out Linux Kernel 3.0.0 (Ubuntu 11.10) doesn't have cramfs turned on all the way. I just taught myself how to download, configure, and compile the source to add full support. Turns out it is pretty easy it is just taking forever to build!! Anyway, hopefully with this I will be able to mount boot.img so we can customize to allow ext3 system partition

Hey, were you able to figure anything out with this? I have some time tonight i plan on taking a look at this again.

I have been away for the past few days due to redoing the head gaskets on my gfs car. Hopefully i will be able to get this figured out before she wrecks it again :).

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
I updated to the 2.4 firmware and it seems that the screen is much better. Not sure why the firmware update would fix that but has anyone else noticed this?

No update on getting this thing rooted.

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
Well, I am pretty sure they used a custom cramfs and we will not be able to extract it with their tool. I have been trying a few different plug-INS, but none have worked. Gonna keep trying different things, but it isn't looking very promising

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

ParrotSquawk

Aug 28, 2007
Jupiter, FL
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Why I want root!

I want to add a calendar function to this device but I can't get calendar.apk to run properly (it probably needs a root install as does vending, which also breaks down)

I think that once root is obtained and gapps are added to this device it will be a sweet treat for under $80 which is what it appears most of us paid for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rockchip Usb Drivers

I made a little tutorial that will be a little more useful once we can finally unpack this thing. It is instructions for installing the proper usb driver for the soc (RK2918) that powers this tablet. Also directions for flashing the partition of your choice. Also for you hardware enthusiasts here is a link to download the official data sheet for the soc. It has a ton of interesting info that anyone could enjoy. Shows you what this thing is really capable of if properly modified/unlocked.

Data Sheet

On with the tutorial!

You will need the following:

Drivers (windows only)

RK29 Update Tool

First things first MAKE SURE YOUR TABLET IS TURNED OFF and the USB is UNPLUGGED!!!!!!!!!
    It is also recommended that you have at least half of your battery life remaining on the device.
    And of course I am not responsible for any decisions you make whether they lead to bricking your device or pure profit!

DRIVER INSTALL

1) Unzip the archive with the drivers. Don't forget where you unzip to.

2) Press and hold down the "menu" button. While still holding menu, plug the usb cord from the computer into the tablet

3) Your pc will start looking for a driver automatically. It should fail to find any, if given the option, choose manual install.

4) If not given the option, you need to go to control panel > Device Manager

5) You should see an unknown devices in the list, right click on it

6) Choose "Update Driver Software..." and a new window will open.

7) Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and another window will open

8) Browse to the folder you unzipped the drivers to. Select the appropriate folder for your operating system. EX. C:\PMID700\Drivers\64bit\win7

9) Make sure to check the box next to "Include subfolders"

10) Click the "Next" button and windows should successfully install your driver

RK29 Update Tool

1) Download the tool from link above and extract the .zip file and open it.

2) Double click the "RK29Update.exe". RKAndroidTool v1.29 will run

3) If you installed the driver correctly and still connected to the pc with device power off, the big bold message at the bottom should read "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb." Success! Your device is attached and ready to be updated!

4) The Flash tab is where you want to be. From here you can choose exactly which Partition(s) you would like to update.

*CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION*

IF YOU CLICK THE "ERASEIDB" BUTTON YOU WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON INTERNAL MEMORY. If you do this make sure you have a backup or something to flash, as you will not even be able to turn on your device if you don't. I personally found this out the hard way, luckily I did an rkdump of all device partitions and was able to use the "RK29xxLoader(L).bin" and "parameter" files included in the "RK29_Update_Tool" folder, as I did not have the originals or update.img.

*CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION*

Have fun and be careful
    Flashing update

Here are the files for flashing rk29 Rockchip 2918 Polaroid PMID700. 7zip
    FYI, I will have a version 1.4 soon with ext4 support making it even a little faster :)

Bob
    New link will be up in minutes!

Stock 2.4 update
    http://db.tt/i83BNETN

Stock 2.4 images
    http://db.tt/MwNdgoNU

RK usb drivers
    http://db.tt/CAKnyPss

RK install tool
    http://db.tt/ESC6Lvaj

RK 2918 Data Sheet
    http://db.tt/aeWorbuv

Install CM7 instructions
    http://db.tt/WcjyT8Ek

Moded CM7
    http://db.tt/DJ0heMq3

Gapps Framework
    http://db.tt/DIufEiBq
    Somewhat working cm7 with google framework

This is how to get cm7 w/root and google framework installed.:D PLEASE READ EACH STEP BEFORE STARTING I believe it is very noob friendly. If not, pm me with any questions, try to keep the thread as clean as possible! lol. Right now wifi still does not work. To get this to work I am GUESSING we need to somehow unpack the original system.img from the manufacture and pull the proper files to push to the new system.img. I really want to check out the above post by duvvid (excellent first post by the way) to try this guess. Anyway, lets get on with it.

UPDATE 12/22

1) Make sure you have adb installed and working!!!!!!!!!

2) You need the rockusb drivers and RK29 Update Tool which can be found HERE along with a guide on getting them installed and working.

3) Download THIS zip and extract it somewhere you can remember

4) Open up the RK29 Update Tool

5) Erase IDB (warning: erases everything except the sd card, but it is important)

6) Check every box except "Backup" and fill each one with the files downloaded in step 3.

7) Click "Run". This will send everything and boot your tab into recovery to do the operations. This is *not* the last step.

8) Silver Android logo? Default AOSP boot screen! And there's CM7 boot!

9) First thing it asks you to choose an app. Choose "Setup Wizard"

10) Complete setup, skipping the sign in. We can easily do this when we get wifi working. Setup will probably start over when you finish but will FC after 2nd run, which is fine.

11) Open the "File Manager" app and navigate to /system/app and click to install the following apps. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE any rebooting. Most will say not installed. That is fine, but for some reason if you don't do this you will have a bootloop. If any one is bored, I welcome you to try different combos to try and shorten this list:

CarHomeGoogle
    FOTAKill
    GenieWidget (news & weather widget)
    GoogleBackupTransport
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GoogleFeedback
    GooglePartnerSetup
    GoogleQuickSearchBox
    GoogleServicesFramework
    LatinImeTutorial
    MarketUpdater
    MediaUploader
    NetworkLocation
    OneTimeInitializer
    SetupWizard
    Talk
    Vending

12) Back out of the file manager and open the app drawer.

13) Open either "Market" or "Talk" or both (prefered) and back out (they may take a second to show up in launcher, but they will show)

14) Reboot and ENJOY!!!! Also if you had seen the lockscreen before the

reboot you would notice it is really screwed, well not any more.

ADDITIONAL INFO

I have most google apps from the market HERE. Just extract the zip, copy them to your sdcard, and install.

The tablet is already setup to appear as Nexus S in the market with Sprint as the carrier.

Link to folder with all files for tablet HERE

I have the 7200. I went through everything I did and my problem was I used a 2.08 loader that came with one of the flashing tools I used. It was for a later SDK then the one our tablet uses, with a EXT3 filesystem I believe.

So then, I guess we can flash different loaders ONLY IF they are v1.65. Any other loader WILL BRICK your device

More Info Soon.

Most of my info to do all this came from THIS thread. Check it out if you get a chance. I also got a lot of info from many, many sites. Google search rk29xx or cramfs and at least the top 10 results of each were used as a reference tool!