[Q] S3 device status detected as "modified" after JB update yesterday night.

Search This thread

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
I got the "modified" status again...
And now I know exactly why... but I don't have a solution.

It looks like that there is some kind of process scanning the microSDXC card when the phone is booting (the process that scans the card to make sure the state is ok)... and I'm getting the "modified" status right after that this process has finished his job.

If I remove the card before booting the phone... and insert it when the phone has finished booting... the "normal" status will be shown.

And I'm not the only one with this problem... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1810450&page=2 (I just found this thread)

Now is there a way to get in touch with Samsung to eventually get this problem fixed?

maxximuscool

Apr 29, 2011
AhhhA! Same issue here. I format the phone, wipe data, wipe cache and install official ROM many times. The Device Status still saying "Modified" in About.
But it is saying Official in Download mode.

Just wiped it again and still the same. Did what you said by removing memory card out and voila it is now say "Device Status: Normal".
:laugh:

F*******K! Costing me 3hours for nothing. lol.

Now I know why.

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
AhhhA! Same issue here. I format the phone, wipe data, wipe cache and install official ROM many times. The Device Status still saying "Modified" in About.
But it is saying Official in Download mode.

Just wiped it again and still the same. Did what you said by removing memory card out and voila it is now say "Device Status: Normal".
:laugh:

F*******K! Costing me 3hours for nothing. lol.

Now I know why.

and by the way, don't loose your time with Samsung email or chat support... they will tell you to try everything that you already did... and at the end, they will tell you to call to contact their advanced technical support.
I might try this... but this is frustrating when the phone is supposed to fully support 64GB card.

do you have a 64GB full of files too?

maxximuscool

Apr 29, 2011
and by the way, don't loose your time with Samsung email or chat support... they will tell you to try everything that you already did... and at the end, they will tell you to call to contact their advanced technical support.
I might try this... but this is frustrating when the phone is supposed to fully support 64GB card.

do you have a 64GB full of files too?

Yeah my MicroSD card is SanDisk 64GB Class10 and it is working properly. I have no issues with memory card support at all. I'm currently using Poland firmware 4.1.2. Rooted and operational.

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
I contacted with some Samsung support centers and they said that factory reset after OTA update will fix the issue. I've also tried everything, flashed official rom, performed factory reset, removed sd card etc. etc. like most of you. None of them helped but this factory reset after OTA method REALLY works.

Steps I did are:
- Downloading OTA update and applying it,
- Performing factory reset and formatting sd card in options menu,
- Restarting in Recovery mode and performing wipe data and cache.

I did it a couple weeks ago and waited a while to share in here. During this time, I restarted the device several times, plugged/unplugged sd, install/remove apps etc. And now it's still in "Normal" and never changed to "Modified" even 1 time (thank god, finally). Btw I'm also using 64gb sd and there are several musics, videos and images in it.

The strange thing is, they said: "We recommend all our customers to perform factory reset after each OTA update". Yeah, it sounds really stupid. We hope they find a permanent solution asap because its nonsense to loose datas that cannot be saved without root access after every update.

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
I already tried this... It worked at first... But after filling my microSDXC card with music files, my phone crashed for some reason... I had reformat the card in my computer... But after putting the card in the phone and filling it again, I got the same "modified" problem.

The solution I'm "using" right now, is putting the same amount of files that I would be able to put on a 32GB card... It's the only solution that will work 100% of the time.

Right now, how much files do you have on your card?
If you fill it with a lot of 5-10mb files, you will probably get the problem again.

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
Currently a Samsung class10 64gb microSDXC is plugged in my device. There are hundreds of mp3s, almost 50 avi videos, almost 100 pictures and a couple pdf files in it.

Storage menu in options says:
Total space 58.56GB,
Available 45.63GB.

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
The problem is not the total space occupied by files... It's the number of files and folders on the card.

I also have a class 10 64GB microsdxc card.
I've done a lot of tests... I tried everything...
I can fill my card with big avi files... And the problem will never show up.

Right now, I have over 2200 folders/sub-folders and over 4400 files (mostly mp3, m4a and jpg album art )... Total of 26GB and it works fine. I can add some big avi files to fill the remaining space on the card and it will still work fine. But if I add some smaller files, it will eventually stop working at some point... Well before the card is full.

AugisAugis

Aug 23, 2012
I had the same problem. My device had modified status after update. What i noticed is that stock internet browser was using sd card as default download destination. I chnaged the settings of internet browser so it would save files to phone memory. After that my device status chamged to normal. I dont know if thats the solution but it helped me.

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
I had the same problem. My device had modified status after update. What i noticed is that stock internet browser was using sd card as default download destination. I chnaged the settings of internet browser so it would save files to phone memory. After that my device status chamged to normal. I dont know if thats the solution but it helped me.

Thanks for the tip... I tried it and it did not change anything for me...
The only solution so far is to reduce the number of files that I have on my microsdxc card.

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
after more than two months of "normal status" usage, my device is changed to "modified" again..

i didn't even use my sdcard for a month, i just took "1" pic today via its native camera and here we are: MODIFIED

although i listened the all tips of samsung technical service, the reason is the same now.... there is no word to tell how i'm angry for all samsung staff and employers who make me hate my device right now..

please make them read this thread or i'll start crushing my beloved s3 very soon, our patience is really over...

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
I'm in the same situation... My phone us showing status... Reboot... Get the modified status.... Reboot again, normal is back.
I tried calling the support... And the only the told me is to restore the phone and reformat the card (I already tried all that).

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
I'm in the same situation... My phone us showing status... Reboot... Get the modified status.... Reboot again, normal is back.
I tried calling the support... And the only the told me is to restore the phone and reformat the card (I already tried all that).

There is no reason to be worried. When you flash an ota the package from Samsung is modified. That's why it changes. It is simply the carriers modified update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
There is no reason to be worried. When you flash an ota the package from Samsung is modified. That's why it changes. It is simply the carriers modified update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

what are you talking about?

It does not have anything to do with the carrier modification or anything like that.
When the status is shown as modified, we can not do the OTA update... the software update tells us that the phone is modified and updates can not be checked/downloaded.
If I reboot, I might get the "normal" status. If Iremove the sd card and reboot, I will ALWAYS get the "normal" status.

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
No I don't have superuser, supersu or su anywhere on the card or in my phone.
I even removed all the files that might have those words in their file name.

I think that the process that check the card might take too much time to do its job where there are a lot of files. And because of that, the other process that check if the phone is modified is giving a false positive.

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
This situation is deeper than root/superuser/cwm or any other damn things. Not about carrier neither. I tried most kind of those customizations on my "previous" S3 and couldnt fix this normal/modified status issue. I thought it was my fault and had to sell it and bought a new one.

Now I get the same problem in my new device too! And the weird thing is: my new current device is not carrier branded, it's open for all network and sim cards, I never tried any illegal feature, never flashed a rom, never installed super user, never rooted or anything else. (Please check our older posts in this thread, its boring to write same sentences again and again...)

So as a reason, there is kind a stupid unstability problem in our devices and not even "genius" guys in samsung knows a solution, that's all...

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
solution.. root it...then it should say modified and it won't annoy you. you can then flash cwm recovery and nice routed roms like the Canadian one I am using so I get tethering and internet calling back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
Thanks, but it doesn't sould like a solution at all. This is my second S3 and will be the last. I'll never flash anything in it, never break its originality and never do anything to revoke its warranty. I just want to use it as an ordinary user and this normal/modified issue needs to be fixed by samsung.

There are many users who have the same problem, so maybe we can find a proper way to "fix" it. Personally I don't intend to bypass it and keep on using an unstable device..

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I own an GT-I9300 and have exactly the same issue.
The problem is the TIME after every boot to check the MicroSD for errors.
on exfat it takes longer to check the filesystem when you have a lot of files on the sdcard.
the device status check checks any devices for suspicious files. the SD card is not accessible during the scan progress.
So it accidently declares the system status do modified due to a bug.

Solution: copy all files from the SD card to your computer, reformat the SDcard in fat32 and copy all files back. this helps.

Top Liked Posts