[Q] Rezound wont charge a dead battery

Search This thread

brownsfan

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo
So the past two nights iv let my rezound battery go dead. The problem is it wont charge a dead battery. It charges if there is some battery and its on but when it is dead it is dead. The fix was I had to put the rezound battery in my tbolt to get a little bit of juice.

Any ideas or similar problems? I am unlocked with the htc unlock tool and running nils business sense?

Could it be a rom bug?

AtLemacks

Aug 22, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
plus.google.com
Once the battery is dead what does the LED on the phone do? If it blinks for a while it is either too hot or too dead to turn on, but it can still charge eventually. If the LED is not coming on at all I would pull the battery out and connect the charger with no battery and see if the LED comes on. If still no luck, get a new charger.

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
Blinks then Charges

I had the battery die on me once (on a prior battery and prior rezound). The phone will blink orange for a WHILE (I tried 3 different chargers not knowing what it was), but eventually started to charging. I think patience is needed. If, after 15 minutes, you still aren't charging, then that's something (but longer if the phone was also hot).

Reactions: i rule123

brownsfan

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo
If I hit he power button with or without the battery in the led will light for a short time. I had it plugged in all night and no charge. I used two different plugs.

As for not letting it die. I know its not ideal but I couldn't help it.

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
I had the battery die on me once (on a prior battery and prior rezound). The phone will blink orange for a WHILE (I tried 3 different chargers not knowing what it was), but eventually started to charging. I think patience is needed. If, after 15 minutes, you still aren't charging, then that's something (but longer if the phone was also hot).

+1. Same thing here.

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

dpiddy14

Sep 10, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I let my phone die completely once. I freaked out that my phone wasn't charging. I went onto HTC's site and it said that it could take 20 or more for the led to turn on while charging if the phone was completely dead. Just plug it in and be patient. It will charge and the led will eventually turn on.

Sent from my Vigor using xda premium

DLink888

Jun 20, 2011
I had this problem too, and am a little concerned I have a defective phone

So I had this issue happen this weekend. My daughter was using the phone when it died. Couldn't get it restarted. (I am unlocked via HTC, stock ROM with bloat removed. Phone is a week old.)

After messing with it using the factory charger/cable and other chargers/cable combinations I got nothing. Light would only intermittently come on for a second or two then go back off.

I charged it over night with the factory charger/cable. Didn't work the next day. Charged it all day and night with my old charger/cable that I know works. Didn't work.

Tried multiple variations of taking out the Battery/Sim/SD card and using the plug-in chargers & CPU USB variations with no success.

Luckily, I had ordered a new spare battery and it came in the mail before I returned the phone. Plugged it and it started up fine.

But my concern is that my phone is not properly charging. I have also had other similar charging/battery life issues that raise concern.

As far as not letting it die, **** happens and phones die, if this is a reoccurring problem, that in my mind is pretty unacceptable. A phone should charge when its plugged in no matter what. I may end up returning it to see If just got a defective phone/battery.

Last edited:

brisdaddy1207

Nov 12, 2010
Fowler
My phone will turn on then off and im starting to think it has something to do with the battery. But when it started it was in tue yelllow on the status bar, now i have it charging without being turned on and the indicator light is on but hopping mine will fire up soon. This all just happened to me within the last two hours lol, already called verizon to get a replacement but still going down there tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
So I had this issue happen this weekend. My daughter was using the phone when it died. Couldn't get it restarted. (I am unlocked via HTC, stock ROM with bloat removed. Phone is a week old.)

After messing with it using the factory charger/cable and other chargers/cable combinations I got nothing. Light would only intermittently come on for a second or two then go back off.

I charged it over night with the factory charger/cable. Didn't work the next day. Charged it all day and night with my old charger/cable that I know works. Didn't work.

Tried multiple variations of taking out the Battery/Sim/SD card and using the plug-in chargers & CPU USB variations with no success.

Luckily, I had ordered a new spare battery and it came in the mail before I returned the phone. Plugged it and it started up fine.

But my concern is that my phone is not properly charging. I have also had other similar charging/battery life issues that raise concern.

As far as not letting it die, **** happens and phones die, if this is a reoccurring problem, that in my mind is pretty unacceptable. A phone should charge when its plugged in no matter what. I may end up returning it to see If just got a defective phone/battery.

As far as not letting it die, **** happens and phones die.

--I agree, but once it gets down to 5%, why not just turn it off knowing the problems people are having so wide spread now.

GrissomE

Feb 25, 2010
Under the exact same conditions I have had the same problem with a warm battery reboot. It seems to occur when you are talking on the phone and let it die. Once it dies the phone will not reboot. My wife has the exact same phone. When I put her battery in my phone the phone works fine. My wife’s phone dies every night and she simply plugs it in the wall and it charges no problem. Again the conditions seem to be related to the battery dying while it is hot. If the battery dies while the phone is cool and not used then it seems to reboot no problem. I will go to Verizon tomorrow to look for a fix. I will let you know what happens.

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
Check and see if your battery is 3.7 or 3.8v . I wonder if it is related to the charging issue with the 3.8v battery some people seem to be having.

gsgleason

May 24, 2009
I had this happen, and here is what worked:

Unplug charger
remove battery
plug charger in
insert battery (while charger is plugged in)

I got an immediate orange LED and after a little while I was able to run the phone back on.

gtschubert

Aug 18, 2010
I had this happen, and here is what worked:

Unplug charger
remove battery
plug charger in
insert battery (while charger is plugged in)

I got an immediate orange LED and after a little while I was able to run the phone back on.

I had the same issue with my OG Droid. Would kill the battery and it would stay dead, even after a whole night of charging. The above method seemed to work for me.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I make 100% sure mine never goes totally dead after an experience I had with my Droid Charge.

I accidentally let it die completely (I fell asleep when it was almost dead & it ran all night). The next morning it was off, I put in a fully charged battery & it fired right up but started FCing like crazy. Every single thing I clicked on force closed immediately, I had never seen anything like it.

I was running a custom ROM & kernel & had done a nandroid BU the day before. I restored the BU & the phone ran perfectly again, but that scared me enough that I made darn sure it never happened again LOL........

Apr 18, 2009
Holy ****!!! I think I may have found the fix! I have had the same exact problem as everyone in here. It seems to happen once I root. My Rezound would die completely, then after plugging it in, the light would come on for 5 seconds or less then shut off. I plugged it into my computer and Windows makes the USB Connected sound, so I figured something is happening.

I went into my command prompt and *adb devices*. It showed my device, but says in recovery mode. I then *adb reboot bootloader* and the bastard rebooted into bootloader! From there, I chose "REBOOT" and it fired right back up! Anyone who is having this problem, please try this and let me know if it works for you!

***UPDATE***

It appears when the battery dies all the way and then doesn't charge, the phone is automatically going into recovery mode even though nothing shows on the screen. I had my SIM card out when I tried this the first time, then when putting my SIM back in, it started doing the same thing. But again, it was going directly into recovery mode. This time, I tried a simple *adb reboot* and BAM! I'm back up and running! Again, let me know if this works for you, or if you need help doing this, let me know.

Last edited:

Marine6680

Jul 12, 2009
Kingsport TN
Holy ****!!! I think I may have found the fix! I have had the same exact problem as everyone in here. It seems to happen once I root. My Rezound would die completely, then after plugging it in, the light would come on for 5 seconds or less then shut off. I plugged it into my computer and Windows makes the USB Connected sound, so I figured something is happening.

I went into my command prompt and *adb devices*. It showed my device, but says in recovery mode. I then *adb reboot bootloader* and the bastard rebooted into bootloader! From there, I chose "REBOOT" and it fired right back up! Anyone who is having this problem, please try this and let me know if it works for you!

***UPDATE***

It appears when the battery dies all the way and then doesn't charge, the phone is automatically going into recovery mode even though nothing shows on the screen. I had my SIM card out when I tried this the first time, then when putting my SIM back in, it started doing the same thing. But again, it was going directly into recovery mode. This time, I tried a simple *adb reboot* and BAM! I'm back up and running! Again, let me know if this works for you, or if you need help doing this, let me know.

Yes... HTC phones never charge "powered off" When you turn it off and then put it on the charger, it is actually entering/booting a special screen off recovery mode during charging.

CWM recovery on the rezound has trouble charging a completely dead battery.

Use Amon RA recovery.

Reactions: orkillakilla

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

***UPDATE***

Blinks then Charges

***UPDATE***

Yes... HTC phones never charge "powered off" When you turn it off and then put it on the charger, it is actually entering/booting a special screen off recovery mode during charging.

CWM recovery on the rezound has trouble charging a completely dead battery.

Use Amon RA recovery.
    When my battery dies all the way, I plug in the charger but no charging light shows up. But I just keep the charger on for about a minute and BLAM I see that precious orange light. That's how I fixed MY dead battery lol

Sent from my S-off HTC Rezound

if I've helped in anyway, don't be shy of that thanks button : )
    figured out a workaround for dead battery charging issue with HTC rezound

I hit the same problem and finally was able to figure out the following word around...

borrow a good htc rezound battery from someone else and power up your phone with the good battery with the Power+Vol Down keys pressed.

Now connect a good charger to your phone

use vol keys no navigate to 'RECOVERY' and then select this option by pressing the power key. The phone vibrates and the HTC screen shows up...AT THIS POINT, REMOVE THE GOOD BATTERY AND IMMEDIATELY INSERT THE DEAD BATTERY....this has to be done as quickly as possible...

the phone will power up into recovery mode...again use the vol keys to navigate to the option "reboot the phone" and hit HOME key to select this option. the phone will reboot and power up completely. wait until the battery charges to a reasonable amount and then return your frnds battery back :)

All the best !