[TUT][ROOT] AT&T Wifi-Tethering Provision Bypass

Search This thread

brooklynite

Sep 19, 2007
I guess I have bigger issue. I have a cricket S5 and it doesn't even have the tethering option in the network menu. I've heard from others that flashing att roms dont work on cricket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using XDA Free mobile app

cybhunter

Jan 13, 2013
Possible means of removing tetherprovision check

Hi everyone,

Just got an s5 active to complament the Rugby Pro (SGH-i547) I've been using for the last year and a half. Since both devices are part of the same ecosystem, I beileve some of the stuff I've done on the Rugby Pro should work (or at least lead to a viable solution).

orginal source: (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43573049&postcount=335)

In a nutshell, the framework-res.apk has a few lines of xml refrencing the tetherprovisioning (under the decompolied framework-res.apk hierarchy res/values/arrays.xml)

Code:
<string-array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
     	<item>com.sec.tetheringprovision</item>
     	<item>com.sec.tetheringprovision.TetheringProvisionActivity</item>
	</string-array>
Modified to
Code:
<array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />

It is pluasible to beileve that the S5 (and releated varients) also use this as a means (as a network based boolean check) to determine if the account has tethering enabled. If I recall correctly, AT&T routes the tethered data through different APNs then mobile data, text and voice, therefore causing the cease and desist letters to be sent.

Joe

MjolnirVIII

Mar 9, 2015
Got it to finally create a wireless hotspot with these instructions! My 4G/LTE network works on my phone now but any device I connect to my phone via the newly established hotspot can't connect to the internet. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

deejay.shani

Jun 30, 2015
Bigggggggg Thanks !!! :D

Tried this today on my Galaxy S5 Active AT&T (SM-G870A) and i can confirm that it works flawlessly for me :D A big thanks to OP :good:

I followed the instructions in sequence, although i used ROOT APP DELETER instead of Titanium backup and ES File Explorer (Both free apps). For anyone else looking for a way to bypass provision/Enable wifi hotspot on their galaxy S5 Active At&T, I would recommend this route.

OP: do you mind if I start a new thread for Galaxy S5 active users (Obviously i will link to this thread along with credits) so that any one searching for S5 Active solution might find help sooner than I did :)

And thanks Once again !!!

Last edited:

GZYAKS

Sep 28, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for this post I was able to enable hotspot on my At&t Galaxy S5. The problem I have is that the hotspot turns on, but does not actually connect to the internet. That's where I'm stuck at the moment. Any help please? Thanks!

kdubya

Oct 13, 2015
little rock, ar
Bingo, bango, bongo!

AT&T Galaxy Note 3 on CricKet network, running 4.4.2 and it worked like a charm!!! I thank you and my four year old, who likes to watch videos on his Kindle in the car, thanks you.

steve9271

May 10, 2009
I guess there is no way to enable native hot spot without root access? My S5 came preloaded with 5.0 :(

May 12, 2014
Used this on my rooted g900a running on Viaero and it works. I didn't think it was allowing me to rename the two files as they didn't show up as being changed, but it did work.
Thanks!!

AaronLevi

Jul 27, 2016
Thank you so much for this, it still works like a charm! Is it safe to delete the Xsposed Framework and Tethering module apps after successfully Freezing the provision file as well as modifying the tethering files in the system folder?

WhosAskin

Sep 19, 2016
Hello, I need to know if this will work for Note 3

I need to know if this will work for Galaxy Note 3

SPECS:

Model # Samsung-sm-n900a Android version:4.4.2 Build # KOT49H.N900AUCUCNC2

Baseband version N900AUCUCNC2 Verizon 4G LTE phone AT&T network
( STRAIGHT TALK ) prepaid unlimited data plan..

Also want to know if this will make my unlimited data actually unlimited...

Any thoughts are appreciated..

Thank you,
Aaron

RoshS5

Feb 21, 2015
Recently stopped working

Hi,

I did these setup and my tethering was working perfectly fine. but suddenly now my mobile hot spot is not visible to any wifi device.

my wifi chip is working. it gets signals from other wifi hot spots.

what can be done?

YasharF

Nov 21, 2010
I'm also interested in any method to tether (hotspot) without root. I've searched and searched all forums with no luck.

If you don't have a rooted S5, you will need to use something like EasyTether with a USB cable. Wifi wouldn't work on the new unrooted roms with any apps or other methods.

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Any way to get this working on a rooted 5.0.2 S5? I know exposed framework features are very limited in that OS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: This is my first thread on XDA, so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place/format/context/whatever. If I am, sorry.

For those of you with AT&T plans that don't include Tethering, I came across a simple way to bypass this with root and allow you to run the built in tethering instead of having to use FoxFi.

What you'll need:

Step 1:
    Install Xposed Framework.
    Once installed, launch Xposed Installer, go to Downloads and search for X Tether
    Install X Tether, Activate the Module, and reboot.

Step 2:
    Open Titanium Backup and find TetheringProvision 4.06.72
    Press the App and select 'Freeze !'

Step 3:
    Open Root Explorer and navigate to:
    /system/app/
    Now rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex
    to TetheringProvision.apk.bak and TetheringProvision.odex.bak

Step 4:
    Reboot, Set up Hotspot and Enjoy! :cool:

BTC: 1DuoTdxs6ZGgeWrMPCFERKMeBiBhf2Pk3
    I see you changed the instructions in the thread. That just renaming the file like you suggested earlier, well AT&T caught on to that, and now that doesn't work anymore.

Hi shortydoggg,
    You're right, I left out the most important part, the Xposed Module.
    X Tether (or Moto Tether) is what actually clears out the array that stores the provision varification data (config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app)
    Just running this module didn't work for me at first but after renaming the Tether Provisioning files it worked fine.
    I also had trouble renaming the files until I froze the Tether Provisioning apk file.

I just ran another test and the built in wifi hotspot is still working great with my 3GB monthly plan.
    How can I get the "Custom" logo off the boot screen?

I got it just by installing xposed.

Edit: I just desinstalled the xposed driver, restarted a few times and the logo went away, KNOX still 0x0

To remove the Custom lock icon, download the Wanam Xposed module.
    Once installed, activate and reboot and select Security Hacks > Check 'Fake System Status'
    This will hide the lock until you either uncheck this option or remove the modded files in the system folder.
    I see you changed the instructions in the thread. That just renaming the file like you suggested earlier, well AT&T caught on to that, and now that doesn't work anymore.
    You don't need apps to freeze other apps. You can freeze using the package manager commands through terminal emulator. Su first then pm disable packagename