Swype on MIUI roms?

Search This thread

ianian28

Jun 22, 2010
Quick question for all the rooting gurus out there. I put an updated MIUI rom on my phone and went to re-load Swype from their website, completely legit.

I get an error message when I go to run it saying that my device isn't supported and will run with limited function.

Has anybody found a way around this error messages? Are people finding it with other roms?

Thanks!

Reactions: salimbest83

Newt

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 29, 2011
New Castle
HTC U11
HTC U11+
Quick question for all the rooting gurus out there. I put an updated MIUI rom on my phone and went to re-load Swype from their website, completely legit.

I get an error message when I go to run it saying that my device isn't supported and will run with limited function.

Has anybody found a way around this error messages? Are people finding it with other roms?

Thanks!

It says that because it thanks your phone is an iPhone because of the Rom your using.... atleast that's my guess.... you might ask on the miui thread they may have a version that works

Sent from my Incredible using XDA App

Last edited:

dan0100

Mar 26, 2011
It's a bit bootleg but the only way I've been able to do it so far:

1. Download and install root explorer. You'll have to pay but it's a useful app and worth it

1. Download swype installer and install swype

2. After installation, there will be a screen with 4 options:
a. watch video
b. start tutorial
c. generate license
d. finish

Click "Generate license"

3. Click "select android keyboard" and change the radio button from "swype" to "android keyboard"

4. Press the home button to exit swype installer and open root installer

5. Go to /data/app

6. Click on "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" and long hold to bring up the options menu

7. Click move, scroll to /sdcard/download and click "paste"

8. Press the home button to exit root explorer

9. Open swype installer. You should get a force close error. If you do not and instead see the screen with "disable swype", click the back button which will bring you back to the home screen then click swype installer again. Do not continue until swype installer force closes.

10. Go back to root explorer and move "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" back to /data/app

11. Go back to the home screen and open swype installer

12. Click "select swype" and then select swype

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

mobileuser123

Jul 20, 2010

1. Download and install root explorer. You'll have to pay but it's a useful app and worth it

a. watch video
b. start tutorial
c. generate license
d. finish

Click "Generate license"

3. Click "select android keyboard" and change the radio button from "swype" to "android keyboard"

5. Go to /data/app

6. Click on "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" and long hold to bring up the options menu

9. Open swype installer. You should get a force close error. If you do not and instead see the screen with "disable swype", click the back button which will bring you back to the home screen then click swype installer again. Do not continue until swype installer force closes.

10. Go back to root explorer and move "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" back to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar... I tried so many different things and wasted hours until I found this post. Follow his instructions step by step and you'll be up on swype in no time

Reactions: multiplash

Aztriltus

May 5, 2010
This worked for me too. Just to add on, the root permissions for the com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk should be rw-r--r--. Set this permission in root explorer after long pressing it from data/app after you have completed everything. This is for people who are not able to see swype after rebooting their phone :)

Caligirl2828

Feb 19, 2009
I usually use TB to backup my swype from a sense rom (or any other rom where swype works correctly) then when I use MIUI i go to Tb and restore. Always worked for me! :)

JLO73

Jul 24, 2010
Has anybody got this to work with the new Swype 3 beta? I have tried this twice to no avail.

JLO73

Jul 24, 2010
I've got it downloaded and installed but it will not let me license it. Tried the above trick twice and cannot get it to work.

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
I've got it downloaded and installed but it will not let me license it. Tried the above trick twice and cannot get it to work.

Found this solution from MIUI.us forums, it requires that you have an already licensed version of swype 2.x

Ok.. have a workaround. Miui automatically enables keyboards so no way to disable it.

1) If you have titanium backup you can first backup swype (not the installer), then uninstall swype, long press home and re-open the swype installer and proceed to login and reinstall swype.
2) Once installed don't press "Done. Long press home and switch back to titanium backup and restore your copy of swype, then re-open the installer (or press Done if already open).
3) Installer should now show something like "your copy is licensed, select swype" Just press select and choose swype, then click Finish. (Do not click Generate license).

JLO73

Jul 24, 2010
That did the trick. Titanium backup had already backed up the new version and it kept reinstalling it and would not work. Found a backup of the 2.x and was able to restore it. Thanks for all the help.

tripleintegral

Nov 13, 2010
Ahmedabad
Thankyou so much

a. watch video
b. start tutorial
c. generate license
d. finish

Click "Generate license"

5. Go to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

I looked everywhere for a way to get swype 3.x to work on my vibrant with MIUI but none of the stuff I found actually worked, EXCEPT THIS.

Like someone said right after your post:

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar...

Reactions: mpbbr and cb00

mpbbr

Jul 14, 2011
Tried the Titanium method thousands of times and variants on my Nexus S and didn't got it working.

The File Manager method worked like a charm, on the second try. Don't know if it matters, but worked after rebooting the phone and following rhe guide.

The good news is you don't need to expend money buying the Root Explorer App. I've used ES file explorer without any problem.

remy2501

Jul 27, 2010
i didn't do anyspecial "trick" to get mine working, i just went thru and unistalled all the older version.. cleared cahces of app and installer, installed a redownloaded version off webpage.. then just went all the way thru till the 4 part screen, "generate license" just select the swype option and then i think i hit finish... can't remember the rest.. sorry..

nagasgura

Jul 20, 2010

a. watch video
b. start tutorial
c. generate license
d. finish

Click "Generate license"

5. Go to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

This is the only thing that worked for me. NOTE: It only worked for me after I tried it with the Full Swype Beta instead of the English/Spanish version.

Reactions: nhokynhok

jlokos

May 27, 2011
Willamette Valley
Google Pixel 8 Pro
This is a known bug on the Swype website. They have posted a workaround which I tried and it worked after several attempts:

"Unable to install Swype on MIUI Rom

When Swype is installed it needs to be unloaded from Android at the time the Swype Installer passes the authentication key to the Swype program. MIUI attempts automatically load and enable any input device into memory as soon as they are available. Because of this there is no reliable way of getting Swype working on MIUI, and even if you do it may not stay enabled for long.

However if you'd like to try, Android Peak has developed a workaround that works some of the time.

UPDATE: marchief has found a workaround which does not require the use of Titanium Backup, may produce more consistant results:
Download installer
Download and install swype
At the enable step leave the installer and select swype as the input device
Reboot your phone
After Reboot, open the swype installer again
Select "Select Android keyboard" and change input back to android keyboard
Choose disable swype, go to applications and uninstall swype but NOT THE INSTALLER
Go back to the installer and generate license
This should put you through the download process again so just follow it and re-install swype
Once re-installed it should generate the license, but it still won't work
Reboot your phone again and all should work, enjoy!"

Reactions: trosenda

streebs87

Mar 2, 2011

a. watch video
b. start tutorial
c. generate license
d. finish

Click "Generate license"

5. Go to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

I have been trying to get Swype to work since I installed MIUI 1.7.15 last Saturday, and nothing seemed to work. Followed your guide and it works great! Thanks SO much. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

a. watch video
    b. start tutorial
    c. generate license
    d. finish

Click "Generate license"

5. Go to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

Thankyou so much

a. watch video
    b. start tutorial
    c. generate license
    d. finish

Click "Generate license"

5. Go to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

I looked everywhere for a way to get swype 3.x to work on my vibrant with MIUI but none of the stuff I found actually worked, EXCEPT THIS.

Like someone said right after your post:

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar...

Thanks!
    That would be happening because you are using ur wrong version...

Sent from my Incredible using XDA Premium App

a. watch video
    b. start tutorial
    c. generate license
    d. finish

Click "Generate license"

5. Go to /data/app

13. Click "finish"

14. Enjoy

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar... I tried so many different things and wasted hours until I found this post. Follow his instructions step by step and you'll be up on swype in no time