[DEV] Kernel Editing/HTC PUCCINI ROM DEVELOPMENT

Search This thread

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
UPDATE, LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE (ALMOST) IMPOSSIBLE TO PORT ENTIRE ROM, LOOKING INTO BITS AND PIECES THAT CAN BE PULLED.
here's the leak, for those who want it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1240772

My progress. My kernel won't boot. I changed the bootclasspath and added some things to the init.rc, but it won't work, rebooting BEFORE THE CAMERA CLICK. If i flash clemsyn 3.1 v18 on top, the camera clicks, but it still reboots.

No logcat.

Anyone have any ideas? obviously it's not just the kernel, but the rom. I deleted stuff from the rom to fit onto the transformer, and hopefully I didn't mess it up. But i'm good at cramming **** onto the G1 and generally know what to use.

My kernel is based on prime 1.6. This is a 3.1 rom. I edited the bootclasspath and changed default.prop according to the puccini boot.img. both extracted perfectly, and my new kernel packaged up all nice. It, however, does not boot.

Any ideas are welcome. There wasn't a bootloader update in 3.2 or something that would prevent booting a 3.1 rom? food for thought.

If anyone wants me to upload my work so far, let me know.

Thanks for your input,
jcarrz1

p.s. the only part I wasn't sure about was the mkbootimg options, based on what RaYmaN said in another thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1121379 I followed his advice to omit cmdline option. I think that's the correct way, anyone else interpret differently?

Rayman's tools were the heart of this effort, thanks a bunch. Also to Roach2010 for a solid 3.1 base.

Jcarrz1

Teaser
2us7qd4.jpg

2d8qpzp.jpg

2rc5ph5.jpg

Thank me for my efforts :)

Last edited:

Ultimaex

Oct 21, 2007
Isn't HTC using a Qualcomm soc? That could mean they are using a different instruction set which cause the reboot.

could be the reason why they got it booting on the flyer and we don't have success on tegra devices :(
Let's see if someone else with a tegra device is successful and gets it booting.

Edit: sometimes I should read more carefully. If your kernel doesn't boot there is something really strange going on. Can't you flash stock 3.1, replace the boot loader and try your port again?

Last edited:

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
missing some info about the images your using ..
you have build the kernel , oke but witch ramdisk did you used?
witch kernel did you used ?
kernel config file?

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
The following is from surfaceflinger
Code:
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
Tag_CPU_name: "ARM v7"
Tag_CPU_arch: v7
Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv3
Tag_NEON_arch: NEONv1
Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP

In short the puccini rom will never run on a Tegra2 device, ANY Tegra2 device, as the Tegra2 SoC lacks NEON support

:(

fonix232

Jun 20, 2009
London
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The following is from surfaceflinger
Code:
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
Tag_CPU_name: "ARM v7"
Tag_CPU_arch: v7
Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv3
Tag_NEON_arch: NEONv1
Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP

In short the puccini rom will never run on a Tegra2 device, ANY Tegra2 device, as the Tegra2 SoC lacks NEON support

:(

Yup. Although if you swap the surfaceflinger to a Tegra2 generic one, it *should* work.

I'm sure that the kernel will NEVER boot on our device, as it's for Qualcomm platform, not Tegra2. But the ROM itself worth playing around, mostly if we can get the nice Launcher with themes.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
Yup. Although if you swap the surfaceflinger to a Tegra2 generic one, it *should* work.

I'm sure that the kernel will NEVER boot on our device, as it's for Qualcomm platform, not Tegra2. But the ROM itself worth playing around, mostly if we can get the nice Launcher with themes.

yes, you could swap the flinger, but you still have the problem of everything else,

the point of that was not that just this one binary, but the whole rom, that also means the launcher and everything use NEON.

Also the kernel not running is a given, that is hw specific. My point is the ROM itself will not run

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
Thanks everybody for your advice. I stupidly assumed that "oh look it's a 1280x800 honeycomb tablet" lets port the software.

However, my kernel question persists; what did I do wrong? is it right to use mkbootimg in the way I did?

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: dcarr622

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
I know nothing about this, but I just wanted to say how cool this is and thanks. Please don't pull a meejay and run out on us after giving us a release date :) Hopefully this goes smoother than porting TouchWiz UX

XsceneXhippieX

Oct 17, 2010
Isn't there a sense port that's partially functional on galaxy s devices? If so, then this is entirely possible with hours of dev work done on it to me, the only issue I see is the NEON problem, if that gets a work around the problems are the same problems involved in any port to any device, this is the coolest idea I've seen for my tf, I'll be watching development closely :)

Last edited:

kozmikkick

Nov 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Might be worth trying the new hc update leak for the htc flyer. The hardware on the flyer isn't too much different other than processor so might be easier.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

cosine83

Apr 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
www.grathwohl.me
Having a different processor can mean COMPLETELY different sets of features supported by the processor. A lot of HTC's additional software (Sense and such) runs hand in hand with processor features as well as specific hooks into the kernel and frameworks that will not work unless on hardware capable of supporting it (among other things). Hence, why 99.9% of all Sense ports have failed in the past.

radeonorama

Jun 17, 2010
This all sounds like a wicked idea to me! Keep up the good work dude, it would be great to see it boot!

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
Thanks everybody for your advice. I stupidly assumed that "oh look it's a 1280x800 honeycomb tablet" lets port the software.

However, my kernel question persists; what did I do wrong? is it right to use mkbootimg in the way I did?

Thanks everyone.

Yes it's the correct way.
For recompile the stock kernel refer to this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1197147

for creating the boot image :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193737

Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE, LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE (ALMOST) IMPOSSIBLE TO PORT ENTIRE ROM, LOOKING INTO BITS AND PIECES THAT CAN BE PULLED.
    here's the leak, for those who want it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1240772

My progress. My kernel won't boot. I changed the bootclasspath and added some things to the init.rc, but it won't work, rebooting BEFORE THE CAMERA CLICK. If i flash clemsyn 3.1 v18 on top, the camera clicks, but it still reboots.

No logcat.

Anyone have any ideas? obviously it's not just the kernel, but the rom. I deleted stuff from the rom to fit onto the transformer, and hopefully I didn't mess it up. But i'm good at cramming **** onto the G1 and generally know what to use.

My kernel is based on prime 1.6. This is a 3.1 rom. I edited the bootclasspath and changed default.prop according to the puccini boot.img. both extracted perfectly, and my new kernel packaged up all nice. It, however, does not boot.

Any ideas are welcome. There wasn't a bootloader update in 3.2 or something that would prevent booting a 3.1 rom? food for thought.

If anyone wants me to upload my work so far, let me know.

Thanks for your input,
    jcarrz1

p.s. the only part I wasn't sure about was the mkbootimg options, based on what RaYmaN said in another thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1121379 I followed his advice to omit cmdline option. I think that's the correct way, anyone else interpret differently?

Rayman's tools were the heart of this effort, thanks a bunch. Also to Roach2010 for a solid 3.1 base.

Jcarrz1

Teaser
    2us7qd4.jpg

2d8qpzp.jpg

2rc5ph5.jpg

Thank me for my efforts :)
    I am currently taking on the task of trying to get Sense in some shape or form onto the Transformer. I know trying to port the entire ROM is a brick wall at this point, so my efforts are to chisel away at it and try to move pieces over and merge into the existing framework and setup. I have made some progress but it takes time, especially since I am new to the Transformer and learning it's setup and structure. I have experience with Sense and it's structure and have done some Sense porting, but it has been more of porting Sense 3.5 to devices that only had Sense 2.1, etc. A much different ball game here, but I like Sense and from the screenshots I've seen of the Puccini/Jetstream it looks like it would be a nice setup for our transformer.
    If I ever get to where I think I am making good progress (ie: Rosie launcher working or widgets ported) I will start a thread with my progress.
    Just an FYI in case some folks were still in hope of getting Sense ported over.

Thanks everyone.

Yes it's the correct way.
    For recompile the stock kernel refer to this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1197147

for creating the boot image :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193737

Good luck!

Thanks everyone.