[HOW TO] Update to 2.3.6 OTA Preserving Root Access! Working!! And Tested!

Search This thread

kojitabe

Feb 15, 2011
DON'T TELL PEOPLE THIS! I have seen this from several people and it is WRONG! This will cause a HUGE security hole. I am a UNIX linux Architect/Engineer for my job, I know these things.....

The issue that has been stated MANY times in this thread, is not to use things like ES file manager or similar. Use a command line utility ONLY, or Root explorer, and do a text edit, but I warn EVERYONE to check the file permissions again before rebooting, because both ES and root explorer have changed the perms and messed up the file structure.

Sorry Jim if this noob is wrong,but i did this using root explorer,and superuser now installed in system.
And how to check the file permissions?
If it mess up with the file structure,does fxz will restore it? If it does,could you please provide me mirror link? I've been trying from fileserve and multiupload with no luck :(
TY

cogeary

Dec 5, 2011
New Orleans
Sorry Jim if this noob is wrong,but i did this using root explorer,and superuser now installed in system.
And how to check the file permissions?
If it mess up with the file structure,does fxz will restore it? If it does,could you please provide me mirror link? I've been trying from fileserve and multiupload with no luck :(
TY

It's not so much completely wrong as it is really improper. It will work but it will leave a sizeable security hole on your A2. To fix it just adb shell or use a terminal emulator, su, and then run "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk" minus the parenthesis... also if your mount_ext3 is still edited then you can just remove the edits or replace the last line with the code above.

kojitabe

Feb 15, 2011
It's not so much completely wrong as it is really improper. It will work but it will leave a sizeable security hole on your A2. To fix it just adb shell or use a terminal emulator, su, and then run "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk" minus the parenthesis... also if your mount_ext3 is still edited then you can just remove the edits or replace the last line with the code above.

Thanx for your enlighten.
So all i need to do is run terminal emulator and type:
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

No need to uninstall existing superuser?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

kojitabe

Feb 15, 2011
Yup (jim correct me if I'm wrong here)...

Unable to chmod - read only system file.
This what i did:
Type: su (enter)
Type: chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk (enter)

What should i do?
Can i just edit ext3.sh file for the last line?
Thanks

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SeekerLoki

Jan 12, 2012
Unable to chmod - read only system file.
This what i did:
Type: su (enter)
Type: chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk (enter)

What should i do?
Can i just edit ext3.sh file for the last line?
Thanks

The problem is by default our /system are mounted read-only. To fix this at a root prompt type: "mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system"

This will allow you to change the permissions on Superuser.apk and change the mount_ext3.sh

**NOTE** Be sure the permissions on mount_ext3.sh is rwxr-xr-x after you have changed it. If they are not, you are likely to get stuck in a bootloop.

kojitabe

Feb 15, 2011
The problem is by default our /system are mounted read-only. To fix this at a root prompt type: "mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system"

This will allow you to change the permissions on Superuser.apk and change the mount_ext3.sh

**NOTE** Be sure the permissions on mount_ext3.sh is rwxr-xr-x after you have changed it. If they are not, you are likely to get stuck in a bootloop.

Thanks a lot,just did as you said.
I open terminal emulator,
type: mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system (enter)
type: chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk (enter)

File permission for mount_ext3.sh is rwxr-xr-x
But when i open in text viewer,the bottom line is still chmod 4755.

Please CMIIW

Pict attached
70d7423f-14ad-ecb6.jpg

70d7423f-14c7-0d75.jpg

Last edited:

SeekerLoki

Jan 12, 2012
You will need to edit the mount_ext3.sh file. You only need to change the Superuser.apk line (change the numbers to 644 from 4755). Once you have changed it and saved, verify the permissions have not changed. Unless you change the mount_ext3.sh, when you reboot your phone the permissions on Superuser.apk will revert to octal 4755 instead of octal 644.

Reactions: kojitabe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys! the instructions are very easy if you do the steps correctly.
    This is my first post in the development section.

First, go to market and download OTA Rootkeeper

Second, open the app, Select Create SU Backup.

Third, Select Temp UnRoot(with backup)

Fourth, uninstall Superuser, if you have superuser elite uninstall it also! and uninstall OTA Rootkeeper(dont worry it will not delete UR Backup!)

Fifth, Download and install the OTA.

After it is done and reboot, do a power cycle.

and the last step, go to market, install superuser and ota rootkeeper.

Launch OTA Rootkeeper and Select RestoreRoot, accept the superuser permission, and reboot!

AND ur back with rooted 2.3.6!

Michael

Alternate method! This is Jim's method(Thanks jim for this other way)

To do the 4ever root hack do the following:

1) open root explorer or ew file manager etc...

go to /system/bin

find the file named mount_ext3.sh
    touch and hold the file name until the menu appears, go to open in text editor.

Add the following line to the VERY bottom of the file, after the fi

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

2) SAVE!!!! the file.
    3) Do the OTA update.
    4) You should still have root after the update, now.

Jim

Enjoy, Hope this helps!
    The easier way to do this, is just do the 4ever root that was done for the bionic.

Just add these lines to the bottom of the /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh files with the text editor in root explorer, or through adb.

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

Do that BEFORE the OTA update, and you will not have any issues with OTAs ever again and loosing root. but if you did not do the update maually, and you used the one-click you might need to add the following line as well....

chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

Jim
    Jim,

I have a question about running a Deodexed rom. Will I have a problem upgrading or do I have to SBF back to stock? I also have the 1 percent mod that I love. How can I keep this. My understanding is this only works for deodexed roms.
    I'm not Jim but I do have the answers to your questions! ;)

You should flash the fkz's (sbf) files before you update, just a good idea to remove any oddities or potential problems. :) Also most modifications do relay on a deodexed ROM , so my guess is that it won't work with the new update yet. My personal recommendation would be to wait until lfaber06 incorperates this update into a nice little cwm flashable zip (around this weekend, or next), that will already contain root, as well as the 1 percent mod and the updated theming!
    Thanks for the answer! Hey I'm from Ma as well.
    x2 I used this method and it works fine. No messing around with OTA rootkepper, no need to uninstall superuser/etc.

ever root is arguably SAFER than your method. All it does is make the system change the permission on the files on every bootup. It's not rocket science.

Well, this definitely bricked my phone.