VZW G2 - Traveling out of country

Search This thread

sefirosu0522

Apr 3, 2011
Hi guys. I'll be heading to South America(Uruguay) in two weeks. I have heard that I can use a SIM card down there and get service on my phone. How exactly does this work? I would assume the G2 is unlocked since it's a 4G phone. I had heard the FCC wanted Verizon to unlock all 4G phones for GSM purposes. So my question would be, how do I make this work? I planned on borrowing a very old T-Mobile phone (MyTouch) and popping in a SIM card from ATCEL. It's in Spanish but here's the phone on that site. It states GSM and LTE I think.

http://www.antel.com.uy/antel/personas-y-hogares/movil/equipos/lg-electronics/lg-g2

Would I just have to buy a SIM and pay two weeks of service? I'd plan on using a stock ROM like XDABEBBS or Steel Droid. Or should I focus on using something from CM?

forfoxy

Dec 22, 2012
Hi guys. I'll be heading to South America(Uruguay) in two weeks. I have heard that I can use a SIM card down there and get service on my phone. How exactly does this work? I would assume the G2 is unlocked since it's a 4G phone. I had heard the FCC wanted Verizon to unlock all 4G phones for GSM purposes. So my question would be, how do I make this work? I planned on borrowing a very old T-Mobile phone (MyTouch) and popping in a SIM card from ATCEL. It's in Spanish but here's the phone on that site. It states GSM and LTE I think.

http://www.antel.com.uy/antel/personas-y-hogares/movil/equipos/lg-electronics/lg-g2

Would I just have to buy a SIM and pay two weeks of service? I'd plan on using a stock ROM like XDABEBBS or Steel Droid. Or should I focus on using something from CM?

Exactly. VS980 is full unlocked for any GSM network. I live in Russia, so I bought this phone to use in my Russian operator "MobileTeleSystems", so it works perfectly. You should take microSIM card. But LTE will not work, only 3G.

sefirosu0522

Apr 3, 2011
I can live with that for a couple of weeks. So what would I need to do? Just power off the phone and insert the new SIM card or do I have to factory reset? I'll be running a stock rooted Rom.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

phunkyjoey

Dec 16, 2010
Pass Christian, MS
No factory reset needed. Just turn the phone off, switch SIM cards, turn it back on and you should have service. I think I had to enter APN settings to get 3g data working properly in Honduras, but voice and text worked fine with no special settings. You should be able to Google the settings for ATCEL if you need to

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: sefirosu0522

sefirosu0522

Apr 3, 2011
No factory reset needed. Just turn the phone off, switch SIM cards, turn it back on and you should have service. I think I had to enter APN settings to get 3g data working properly in Honduras, but voice and text worked fine with no special settings. You should be able to Google the settings for ATCEL if you need to

Thanks so much! Just did a quick search and I think this is all I'll need. If not, I'm sure they'd know down there, right?

http://wiki.apnchanger.org/Uruguay

phunkyjoey

Dec 16, 2010
Pass Christian, MS
Yeah that looks like all you need. If ATCEL had any other weird requirements I'm sure they'll be able to let you know when you get down there, assuming you find someone who speaks English. You might want to download the Spanish language packs for Google Translate before you head down there if you don't speak Spanish

Reactions: sefirosu0522

sefirosu0522

Apr 3, 2011
Yeah that looks like all you need. If ATCEL had any other weird requirements I'm sure they'll be able to let you know when you get down there, assuming you find someone who speaks English. You might want to download the Spanish language packs for Google Translate before you head down there if you don't speak Spanish

Awesome. I've got the Spanish part down. Thanks for all the help!

sefirosu0522

Apr 3, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Awesome. I've got the Spanish part down. Thanks for all the help!

I am using the VS980 here in Mexico with good results. The only other thing I can think of that may give a problem is if for some reason you are stuck at the activation screen, then use this workaround: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2522646

Sent from my LG-VS980