can't figure out how to install alpharev?

Search This thread

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
Hi, I'm trying to install alphaRev because from what I've read it enables s-off and provides a modified partition table. Currently I run

Oxygen rc7
Clockwork recovery 2.5.0.7
Hboot 0.93

AlphaRev says to download the alpharev zip file for oxygen, remake it and put it on my sd, which I've done. Then it says to go into hboot and install. How do I install the alphaRev zip from my sd in hboot!?

Any help!

Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
The initial S-OFF needs to be done via a bootable CD, you then change the partition table after this should you need to. You need to read the instructions closer

Reactions: alex98uk

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
The initial S-OFF needs to be done via a bootable CD, you then change the partition table after this should you need to. You need to read the instructions closer

hmm, OK. It's quite tricky for me as I have fairly rubbish dyslexia and so I get confused when reading :p

What advantages does S-Off provide? I will try that now and report back :)

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
If you don't know what it does don't even do it! Read up on it more before doing anything as it can potentially brick your phone with no chance of repair

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
If you don't know what it does don't even do it! Read up on it more before doing anything as it can potentially brick your phone with no chance of repair

I was less interested in the S-Off option, but wanted the modified partition table that AlphaRev offers over the stock HBoot. Apparently it providers a fair bit more space for apps on the phone. But, alas, I got Alpharevs flashing program and it worked fine. I am now running AlphaRev Hboot 0.93.0001 with S-Off (well, from what I think I read, S-Ignored!)

So, next question is, how do I get around to installing the modified partition tables provided on the AlphaRev site, or did this automatically get done as a part of the flashing process I have just done? I'm not trying to be lazy, I have honestly read around, it's just quite confusing (especially for me) and I find it easier when someone explains it in Layman's terms!

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
Direct from alpharev.nl and must be done in Fastboot:

1) Nandroid backup in recovery.
2) Verify the MD5SUM of the file you downloaded against the one in the table.
3) Flash HBOOT with your phone in fastboot mode (Back+POWER) -> 'fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl.img' (change into the correct filename for the HBOOT you downloaded)
4) 'fastboot reboot-bootloader'
5) 'fastboot erase cache'
6) Boot recovery, wipe everything and restore.

Reactions: hung_mtuci

hung_mtuci

Feb 1, 2011

3) Flash HBOOT with your phone in fastboot mode (Back+POWER) -> 'fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl.img' (change into the correct filename for the HBOOT you downloaded)

Thank a lot for detail introduce :D

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
NP. As I said, it was copied directly from the alpharev site. Keep in mind that this can possibly brick your phone if the checksum doesn't match or something goes wrong during the flash.

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
NP. As I said, it was copied directly from the alpharev site. Keep in mind that this can possibly brick your phone if the checksum doesn't match or something goes wrong during the flash.

Ok, I didn't actually get that far :p I did this technique:

You can also download the corresponding PB99IMG zipfile, put it on your sdcard, and rename it to PB99IMG.zip. Then start the phone in HBOOT mode (VolDown+POWER) to flash the HBOOT without a PC.

I downloaded "PB99IMG_bravo_oxygen.zip" renamed it to "PB99IMG.zip". I booted into Hboot, it asked me if i'd like to update, so I said yes which it did... now... it's getting stuck on the Alpharev why so serious splash screen.

I wonder if I just bricked my phone..............................

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
Did you just reboot it after the flash? I'm not sure how to flash it via the SD card but something tells me that you still need a wipe and reinstall. Your ROM might not fit in the new partition. but I honestly have no idea, just trying to give you possible ideas. Wait till someone else can confirm.

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
So, yah, effectively looks like i've done something bad. AlphaRev installed fine and s-off is ok. Just the last steps I took to install a custom partition seem to have gone... wrong...

Basically, turning it on as normal and it gets stuck on the AlphaRev "why so serious" splash screen. It can operate fine in Hboot and Recovery mode... so what's the best way out of this mess?

EDIT: More info!

So, after flashing AlphaRev it displayed:

--Alpharev--
Bravo PVT1 Ship S-Off
Hboot 0.93.0001
etc...

I then used the SD Card flash means of install the Oxygen Partition table through Hboot. After this is when it gets stuck on the AlphaRev splash screen. It works in Hboot and Recovery. In the former it now shows

AlphaRev Oxygen
Bravo PVT1 Ship S-Off
HBOOT 0.93.1000

Last edited:

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
It looks to me like the flash was successful, you just need to wipe and reinstall the ROM. In this case, Oxygen or Redux..the only 2 that will fit in that partition.

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
It looks to me like the flash was successful, you just need to wipe and reinstall the ROM. In this case, Oxygen or Redux..the only 2 that will fit in that partition.

You know what, you're right (I think). I have been an absolute spanner and forgot to actually re-install Oxygen after installing the new partition. Just re-did RC7 (thank the lord I still had the zip on my SD) and we're back alive again.

I was scared, oh so scared :D

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
Good that you're back up and running.

Well, there you go, I learnt from a mistake. It can be scary when things don't go to plan, but i'm quite happy I managed to get it all installed and running. I just have to work out how to change the splashscreen to something else.

I saw the instructions about fastboot... but I don't exactly understand where the terminal is that I have to use. Do I connect it to my PC is fastboot mode and use CMD?

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
Yes, you use CMD. There is a tutorial for Fastboot telling you all the stuff you need to install to get it up and running. For flashing a new Splash screen you should look into the Android Flasher utility somewhere on XDA. It's basically Fastboot with a GUI so you can easily flash HBOOT, custom splash, radios and something else that I forget.

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
Yes, you use CMD. There is a tutorial for Fastboot telling you all the stuff you need to install to get it up and running. For flashing a new Splash screen you should look into the Android Flasher utility somewhere on XDA. It's basically Fastboot with a GUI so you can easily flash HBOOT, custom splash, radios and something else that I forget.

Hmmm... well I got the flashing program, but whilst it has changed the splash screen... it's not to the one I defined! Gone is old Why So Serious man... but he's been replaced by some little green men riding skateboards.

I was trying to use this splash!

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=409882&d=1285773683

Might be the wrong format/height/size. Im'a fiddle more. I'll fix it until it breaks.

Last edited:

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
Maybe just try it again or ask in that the Android Flasher thread. I had no problem having it flash my image. Is the image the proper file format?

Think it needs to be BMP.

alex98uk

Dec 6, 2010
München
Got it working fine, was the wrong dimensions I believe. However, the app itself is about as stable as a woman on her period. It crashes every few minutes with unhandled exceptions :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello,
    I have apha rev installed with Cyanogen rom.
    I accidentally installed clockworkmod recovery and now I can't access to the alpha rev recovery anymore.
    How can I disinstall the clockworkmod recovery and go back to the alpha rev again?
    Thanks,
    Andy

Dude, you replaced alpha rev with clockworkmod. What's so bad about it? Anyways, I suggest you flash 4ext recovery instead of CWM.