Question about root and unlock

Search This thread

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
I am getting an Alltel S III tomorrow that will work on the Verizon network, and I actually have 2 questions. I have a broken verizon s3 that I used a while back until I broke it, that's rooted, unlocked, and with a custom ROM. Can I pull the motherboard out of that phone and put it in the new one? And what root method would I follow to root the alltel version? Is it the same as Verizon? I'm hoping I can just swap mother boards and go. Thanks guys!

Sent from my XT1030 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I am getting an Alltel S III tomorrow that will work on the Verizon network, and I actually have 2 questions. I have a broken verizon s3 that I used a while back until I broke it, that's rooted, unlocked, and with a custom ROM. Can I pull the motherboard out of that phone and put it in the new one? And what root method would I follow to root the alltel version? Is it the same as Verizon? I'm hoping I can just swap mother boards and go. Thanks guys!

Sent from my XT1030 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If you swap the mainboard, then your Alltel S3 will be the broken one.

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
I got the Alltel s3 today, and I pulled off the back cover and saw that there was no sim slot. So I did the motherboard switch, and activated my sim card(I'm coming from the moto droid mini which takes a nano sim) and bam came up with signal and everything. Everything functions as it should.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I got the Alltel s3 today, and I pulled off the back cover and saw that there was no sim slot. So I did the motherboard switch, and activated my sim card(I'm coming from the moto droid mini which takes a nano sim) and bam came up with signal and everything. Everything functions as it should.

I still don't buy it. You took a mainboard from a bricked S3 and put that into your new Alltel S3 and everything works??

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
The OP mentioned that he broke the fone.. Not meaning he brick the fone. Prove us right or wrong on wat happened

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
One more question why buy an alltell S3 instead of a vzw S3. If he still gonna use it on vzw network.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
Noooo lol I didn't brick my old s3, all I did was broke the glass and lcd display. Upon getting the alltel s3(on 4.3) I noticed it did not have a sim slot, so I went ahead with the motherboard swap. After installing my motherboard from my broken s3, I used had to use the MB cover from my old one because it had a cut out for the sim slot. Then I powered it on and presto. I basically just did a conplete screen replacement. Whenever you break a screen and have to have it replaced, they just pull your motherboard and put it basically into a new phone and it won't matter the branding. You'll have the Verizon guts on the inside. I'm sorry about the confusion guys, I should have explained a little better.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Noooo lol I didn't brick my old s3, all I did was broke the glass and lcd display. Upon getting the alltel s3(on 4.3) I noticed it did not have a sim slot, so I went ahead with the motherboard swap. After installing my motherboard from my broken s3, I used had to use the MB cover from my old one because it had a cut out for the sim slot. Then I powered it on and presto. I basically just did a conplete screen replacement. Whenever you break a screen and have to have it replaced, they just pull your motherboard and put it basically into a new phone and it won't matter the branding. You'll have the Verizon guts on the inside. I'm sorry about the confusion guys, I should have explained a little better.

OK, that makes sense since you only broke the digitizer...usually people just get another screen and pop it on. Everything would stay original, but got to give you credit for replacing the mainboard. You do have some skill there! :)

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
OK, that makes sense since you only broke the digitizer...usually people just get another screen and pop it on. Everything would stay original, but got to give you credit for replacing the mainboard. You do have some skill there! :)

I gotta tell you, my hands were shaking like a coke addicts who hasn't had a fix in about 3 hours. But I finally got it lol. Powered it in and they're was my old baked 4.2.2 rom and everything was beautiful! Lol

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
Coke addicts hand don't shake.. Tweekers do lol.. Thats pretty cool u did that. Did u follow instructions or vid?

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
Lol nevertheless. You get the point lol. And yeah I watched a couple videos, then when I actually went in and did it myself I was like omg this was too easy. I could do this all day long. So I may have found a way to make some money on the side lol.

Reactions: ThePagel

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Lol nevertheless. You get the point lol. And yeah I watched a couple videos, then when I actually went in and did it myself I was like omg this was too easy. I could do this all day long. So I may have found a way to make some money on the side lol.

You inspired me to open up my gs3 take the motherboard out and rip off my power button. You are right that was way to easy and now I can reboot! The bad part is I need to be plugged in to turn it on by entering download mode then decline instead of accept. I might solder a new switch some day but this is good enough for now. Thank you for giving me the confidence to do that!

Reactions: blkhrt13

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
My old job i work at a manufactured company for hospital devices we would build n repair. I can open those up and work on them. But when it comes to my fone. Im breaking sweat

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
The Galaxy S III is the only phone I have done this on, so keep this in mind. But yes it was super easy. It was a lot less stressful than rooting and unlocking a device for the first time. ThePagel, I still have the motherboard for the Alltel S III, do you think you could use the power button from that? If so you're welcome to it!

blkhrt13

Jul 25, 2013
Anderson
Okay guys I'm sorry but I had to do this. I went back in and pulled the motherboard again, took the black power button and volume rocker covers from my black S III and replaced the silver ones with the black. It looks pretty freaking awesome. Just thought I'd share. Lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I gotta tell you, my hands were shaking like a coke addicts who hasn't had a fix in about 3 hours. But I finally got it lol. Powered it in and they're was my old baked 4.2.2 rom and everything was beautiful! Lol

You inspired me to open up my gs3 take the motherboard out and rip off my power button. You are right that was way to easy and now I can reboot! The bad part is I need to be plugged in to turn it on by entering download mode then decline instead of accept. I might solder a new switch some day but this is good enough for now. Thank you for giving me the confidence to do that!