absurd battery drain and heat problem since flashing touchwiz

Search This thread

tooandrew

So I've tried two different kitkat TW roms since installing the new bootloader and with both I've experienced huge battery drain and absurd heat. I use a pair of zerolemon 7000mah batteries that I charge with an external wall charger and switch as I see fit.

At 7am this morning, it was at 92% (having lost 8% of a battery that should last at least a day and a half, even with heavy use, overnight! despite the fact that all radios except standard 1x were turned off and a fresh reboot had been done before bed)

It is now 12:45pm and I have 50% of my 7000MAH BATTERY remaining, despite my phone having been off for an hour and a half flight because even in airplane mode it got so hot it was unusable, so I powered it off. This is absurd. Absolutely ridiculous. What is happening, and does anyone have any advice?

I would really like to use my galaxy gear as designed, without needing to set up a thousand tasker profiles just to receive notifications, and I need touchwiz for that.

Help?

Edit: I've just lost 3% in 10 minutes flat.

I wiped properly and all of that.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
No, I repeat, no new ROM flash can be judged for battery life until after at least a week if not more of normal usage. How long have you stayed on one of these two new ROMs?

These steps have also helped me:

1. Install Xposed.
2. Install Critical Battery Shutdown Xposed module.
3. Enable both.
4. Reboot.
5. Charge all the way up.
6. If after removing from charger it's down to 83% in 10 minutes it something insane, charge all the way up again immediately.
7. Repeat 6 if necessary but once usually is enough.
8. Let the phone drain through normal usage until it dies on it's own. 9. Charge all the way up, you can turn the phone on and use it if you want once it's charged enough.

That's it. YMMV. Good luck!

Edit: the same applies to a new kernel flash.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: g_money

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
I agee with rode warrior.
Your battery life sounds horrible, but pretty sure its not the tw rom.
Been running 4.4.2 on my s3 for a while. Battery life was not great at first (but definitely not as bad as yours). Now it's very good.
Just put 4.4.2 on the mrs phone. Wouldn't be surprised if it drains faster then normal for the first couple days, but if it does I'm sure it will level out.
Sounds like you have some sort of wakelock ir sync issue? Only instances of battery drain that I've ever had were google syncs gone rampant...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

vwags

Feb 13, 2011
Los Angeles
No, I repeat, no new ROM flash can be judged for battery life until after at least a week if not more of normal usage. How long have you stayed on one of these two new ROMs?

1. Install Xposed.

What is the critical battery shutdown module? I don't see it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Install Xposed.
    3. Enable both.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Charge all the way up.
    6. If after removing from charger it's down to 83% in 10 minutes it something insane, charge all the way up again immediately.
    7. Repeat 6 if necessary but once usually is enough.
    8. Let the phone drain through normal usage until it dies on it's own. 9. Charge all the way up, you can turn the phone on and use it if you want once it's charged enough.

That's it. YMMV. Good luck!

Edit: the same applies to a new kernel flash.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
    I agee with rode warrior.
    Your battery life sounds horrible, but pretty sure its not the tw rom.
    Been running 4.4.2 on my s3 for a while. Battery life was not great at first (but definitely not as bad as yours). Now it's very good.
    Just put 4.4.2 on the mrs phone. Wouldn't be surprised if it drains faster then normal for the first couple days, but if it does I'm sure it will level out.
    Sounds like you have some sort of wakelock ir sync issue? Only instances of battery drain that I've ever had were google syncs gone rampant...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    I put a fully charged battery in and did a battery calibration, I'm going to let it die completely. I factory reset again, and it's not dying anywhere near as fast now. I think it's just confused about the extended battery, I charge my batteries externally and swap them when the time comes.