[LINUX][HOW-TO]ADB not working? Check this out!

Search This thread

Bytecode

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
Disclaimer:
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*    
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,  
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please  
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM  
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if  
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.  
*/

ADB tool isn't working on your Ubuntu/Mandriva/Arch Linux/openSUSE system(Linux)? When you type adb in Terminal you get a command not found? I'll show you how to fix it.

You'll need:

Extract android-sdk_r11-linux_x86.tgz and with the Terminal give:

Code:
$ cd /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
$ ./android

Download all necessary packages by clicking on "Available packages" and checking "Android Repository". Then click on "install selected" button and another window will pop up. Check "accept all" and click on "install" button. Wait about 30 minutes and you will have all SDK packages installed,adb too.

Go into your terminal and type:

Code:
$ sudo gedit [SIZE=4]/etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules[/SIZE]
Then paste in 99-android.rules this:
Code:
#Google
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"
#Acer
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0502", MODE="0666"
#Dell
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="413c", MODE="0666"
#Foxconn
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0489", MODE="0666"
#Garmin-Asus
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="091E", MODE="0666"
#HTC
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
#Huawei
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", MODE="0666"
#Kyocera
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0482", MODE="0666"
#LG
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"
#Motorola
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="22b8", MODE="0666"
#Nvidia
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0955", MODE="0666"
#Pantech
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="10a9", MODE="0666"
#Samsung
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666"
#Sharp
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04dd", MODE="0666"
#Sony Ericsson
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0fce", MODE="0666"
#ZTE
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="19d2", MODE="0666"
Then in terminal type:
Code:
sudo chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

Type this too:
Code:
sudo gedit .bashrc

Add this to the bottom of the file:

Code:
export PATH=${PATH}:/home/YOUR-USERNAME/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools

Reboot your PC.

ADB Is now fixed.

Check if your device is known by adb.

On your phone,go to Settings>Applications>Development and check USB debugging.

Type ./adb devices in the terminal.If you get an output like this:

Code:
[I]List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXXXXX  device
[/I]

Your phone is recognized.

Last edited:

enriquez90

Feb 28, 2011
Verona
Great Job ciaox, too bad this guide is coming out now, I completely bricked my phone 2 days ago using KDZ :/ thanks god i didn't even have root, nor a custom recovery installed.. :D

+1 thanks

luxox

May 15, 2011
a question when you say that your terminal type the following code:
$ sudo gedit / etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

as you do because in my case, my phone will start from the fastboot and so I want out

lekhwani

Is it really so risky using rom manager?

Or only persons with some Linux know-how should use it?

Where is the recovery flashed?

And when can't we flash a recovery? (Kindly give some info on bad sectors on 5 MB reserved for recovery)

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Bytecode

Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
Is it really so risky using rom manager?

Or only persons with some Linux know-how should use it?

Where is the recovery flashed?

And when can't we flash a recovery? (Kindly give some info on bad sectors on 5 MB reserved for recovery)

Yes do not ever use ROM Manager. And,guide is only for linux. With our fastboot you can only flash recovery image.

Roqu3

May 9, 2011
Hi I unbricked my phone two days ago (after bricked by ROM Manager) using KDZ, is it really dangerous? because how can you restore the original firmware without KDZ?

I use Windows btw

thanks

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
Getting out of fastboot loop

I got into the fastboot problem as I was careless in running a recovery script. I put the phone in emergency mode i.e. return key + volume up key and connect usb to pc. Used KDZ to recover original 2.2.2 and had no problems whatsoever. Took 4-5 mins max.

Would strongly recommend noobs to read as much as they can and be very careful when running commands from the terminal related to recovery installation and flashing ROMS. Also do not use unstable ROMS. Go for those that are most used and with minimum problems/bugs.

holymolys

May 3, 2011
what about using ROM manager to install the clockworkmod recovery? any harm in that? or should i use some other recovery instead

Bytecode

Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
@askoabs: I suggest not to use KDZ because one of my friends used it for flashing original unbrand 2.2 and he COMPLETELY BRICKED his phone.

@holymolys: DO NOT install recovery from ROM Manager. I tried to install it and i got fastboot. I then flashed this and i got out of that malicious loop :)

@Master619: Agree with you dawg,rom manager sucks. Well,it doesn't suck but is unstable. For Windows:
ciaox said:
1.If you have Win7,download these drivers.
2.Download the Windows SDK.
3.Install Java
4.Install the SDK
5.Install other packages by following first step on first post
6.Download recovery from first post and move it to C:\SDK\tools,then rename it as recovery.img
7.Download Windows Fastboot Drivers and move 'em to C:\SDK\tools
8.Via Command prompt(aka cmd) give: cd C:\SDK\tools
9.Via Command prompt(aka cmd) give: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
You should be ok. I didn't tested this.

BTW guys why aren't you thanking first post?

Just kiddin' :D

Adding this on first post(windows tut)

Reactions: Moonystorm

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
I see no problem with Rom Manager as long as people read what they are doing... I installed it and then used it to install the newest CWM (I was running 3.0.2.4 CWM) for p500 and no harm was done...

Master619

Dec 11, 2010
Ho Chi Minh City
I see no problem with Rom Manager as long as people read what they are doing... I installed it and then used it to install the newest CWM (I was running 3.0.2.4 CWM) for p500 and no harm was done...

I still don't know what I have done wrong. I was using void #echo, rooted, then I installed ROM Manager from market, then download CWM 3.1.0.0 through it, then reboot into recovery and my phone is now bricked. So I have a reason to say that it sucks.

@ciaox: thanks for the Windows guide. But these SDKs are taking forever to download.
Edit: now I realize that I DIDN'T EVEN see those fastboot lines. Nothing at all. The phone just reboot and stuck at the first LG logo, nothing more.

Last edited:

holymolys

May 3, 2011
I still don't know what I have done wrong. I was using void #echo, rooted, then I installed ROM Manager from market, then download CWM 3.1.0.0 through it, then reboot into recovery and my phone is now bricked. So I have a reason to say that it sucks.

hmmm.... i only installed the recovery from ROM manager, CWM 3.1.0.0, two days ago before i read this thread, and nothing happened to my phone, im not really planing to flash my phone anytime soon but just wanted to see if recovery worked or not, and it worked... so idk why some ppl are having issues, thats weird

i guess to be safe and just not risk it... i should put in a different recovery via adb shell??

Master619

Dec 11, 2010
Ho Chi Minh City
Yeah but many,many people had problems,me too.

I can't get my PC (Windows7) to recognize the phone. I installed the LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0_All_Win7.exe from your link. But when I tried adb devices it just show

List of devices attached

And no more line. What should I do now? I tried fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and it shows

< waiting for device >

My phone was in emergency mode. I even tried with my phone in "stuck" mode (at the LG logo) but still no luck.

Edit: do I have to do these part?
$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules
and
and then

Because I don't know how to do them on windows.

One more note: after installing the driver I don't even have the LGE Virtual Modem driver like in many posts say. What's wrong???

Last edited:

lekhwani

Seeing all these things, I think I got lucky many times. I have used rom manager to flash roms about 3-4 times. All times successful. 2 times I gave the rom manager command to flash two non-rom zips. One time it was successful, another, it was stuck at LG logo. In latter scenerio I went into recovery which was intact.

I have even backedup Mik's CM 7 and Openoptimus by Ciaox. I have done backups three times.

Once I have restored the backup through rom manager.

But reading all the above posts, it seems I have been lucky 10 times. Or too adventurous.

But now I will think 10*100=1000 times before using rom manager.

Master619

Dec 11, 2010
Ho Chi Minh City
OK I finally somehow get the phone unbricked and running the original ROM. Now I want to try the OpenOptimus ROM. So I just do these right?
_ Root the phone. I think I'll use z4root. I think there's no problem right? The original ROM I'm using is 2.2 Froyo stock.
_ Install a recovery. I think I'll choose ClockWork. But this time I don't trust ROM Manager anymore. So can you suggest how can I install that recovery? Will the fastboot method above still work? (I am no longer in emergency mode)
_ flash the open optimus. No problem right?
After all this thing I'm afraid of any small change to my phone, so I have to ask first.

d3s3rt_eagle

Jan 13, 2011
Turin
Disclaimer:
Code:
/*  
* Your warranty is now void.    
*/
When you turn on your phone you see these things on your phone?
Code:
fastboot mode started
udc.start()
-- suspend --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
-- reser --
-- portchange --
Yes,we have fastboot on our phones :cool:
But if we have fastboot,we can't let the phone boot :( so:

Fastboot ON === Can't boot phone
Fastboot OFF === Can boot phone

How to get fastboot?

1.Install a wrong recovery
2.Doing something wrong with ROM Manager
3.Flashing the wrong rom

If you DO NOT want fastboot,just don't do the things i posted above.

Using fastboot we can recover our phone by flashing a recovery image like this.

I suggest to not use KDZ because this program,instead of fastboot,could TOTALLY brick your phone.

For flashing a recovery image with fastboot you'll need:

- Android SDK
- Linux Fastboot drivers
- AmonRa 2.2.1 Recovery

Extract android-sdk_r11-linux_x86.tgz and with the Terminal:

Code:
$ ./android
Download all necessary packages by clicking on "Available packages" and checking "Android Repository". Then click on "install selected" button and another window will pop up. Check "accept all" and click on "install" button. Wait about 30 minutes and you will have all SDK packages installed,adb too.

-------------------------------------------THIS STEP EVEN FIXES ADB ON LINUX---------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
Code:
#Google
#Acer
#Dell
#Foxconn
#Garmin-Asus
#HTC
#Huawei
#Kyocera
#LG
#Motorola
#Nvidia
#Pantech
#Samsung
#Sharp
#Sony Ericsson
#ZTE
Then in terminal type:
Code:
Reboot your PC.

ADB Is now fixed and if is fixed,you can use it for unbricking your phone.

Check if your device is known by adb,type ./adb devices in the terminal.If you get an output like this:

Code:
HT93XKF06433    device
[/I]
Extract fastboot.zip,download AmonRa recovery image,rename it to recovery.img and in terminal type:

Code:
mv /home/user/extracted_folder/fastboot  /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
cd /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
chmod a+x fastboot
mv /home/user/extracted_folder/recovery.img /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
./fastboot reboot
Done! :D

WINDOWS TUTORIAL VERSION:

3.Install Java
4.Install the SDK
6.Download AmonRa 2.2.1 Recovery and move it to C:\SDK\tools,then rename it as recovery.img
Almost completely copied from here: http://www.androidworld.it/forum/mo...king-optimus-one-p500-tramite-fastboot-17304/
Even fastboot Rapidshare links are taken from AndroidWorld.it wiki, and you copied and pasted even the typo on top ("reser", what a FAIL!), but we knew, ciaox is a copycat, he is a master with c&p. Wasn't Androidworld.it a ****ty forum? But you grab all you can from it. You're getting more and more ridicoluos little boy :D

BTW, mik_os already noticed this long ago. It's completely useless to have fastboot on if we can't get the phone to boot.
AND please, i don't ask you to thank the source, but at least fix your guide.
You don't need to put all that lines on 99-android.rules, the only needed is this: SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"

Check if your device is known by adb,type ./adb devices in the terminal.If you get an output like this:

Code:
HT93XKF06433    device
[/I]
This is wrong, adb will never recognize the device while it is in fastboot mode, so this step is completely useless, you'll get only an empty line. At least, you can use fastboot devices, to see if fastboot recognizes the phone.

E hai pure la faccia di chiedere i grazie al primo post :D :D
Cheers.

P.S. @all people Franciscofranco is right. Flashing recovery through Rom Manager is as dangerous as flashing it with "traditional" method. 99% of people had no problems with it. You can enter in fastboot loop even flashing a zip or using flash_image manually. If you don't want to risk, you must not flash any recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master619

Bytecode

Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
Almost completely copied from here: http://www.androidworld.it/forum/modding-e-firmware-lg-optimus-one-114/%5Bguida%5D-unbricking-optimus-one-p500-tramite-fastboot-17304/
Even fastboot Rapidshare links are taken from AndroidWorld.it wiki, and you copied and pasted even the typo on top ("reser", what a FAIL!), but we knew, ciaox is a copycat, he is a master with c&p. Wasn't Androidworld.it a ****ty forum? But you grab all you can from it. You're getting more and more ridicoluos little boy :D

BTW, mik_os already noticed this long ago. It's completely useless to have fastboot on if we can't get the phone to boot.
You don't need to put all that lines on 99-android.rules, the only needed is this: SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"

This is wrong, adb will never recognize the device while it is in fastboot mode, so this step is completely useless, you'll get only an empty line. At least, you can use fastboot devices, to see if fastboot recognizes the phone.

Cheers.

P.S. @all people Franciscofranco is right. Flashing recovery through Rom Manager is as dangerous as flashing it with "traditional" method. 99% of people had no problems with it. You can enter in fastboot loop even flashing a zip or using flash_image manually. If you don't want to risk, you must not flash any recovery.

God,you are really pissing me off. And please speak in english. I wouldn't fix my tut bcoz is ok,right? I'n not a copycat *****. Please,really,go away or we'll be forced to have a serious argument. Why,Desert? You were a good guy xD

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:
    Code:
    /*    
    */

ADB tool isn't working on your Ubuntu/Mandriva/Arch Linux/openSUSE system(Linux)? When you type adb in Terminal you get a command not found? I'll show you how to fix it.

You'll need:

Extract android-sdk_r11-linux_x86.tgz and with the Terminal give:

Code:
    $ ./android

Code:
    Code:
    #Google
    #Acer
    #Dell
    #Foxconn
    #Garmin-Asus
    #HTC
    #Huawei
    #Kyocera
    #LG
    #Motorola
    #Nvidia
    #Pantech
    #Samsung
    #Sharp
    #Sony Ericsson
    #ZTE
    Then in terminal type:
    Code:

Type this too:
    Code:
    sudo gedit .bashrc

Add this to the bottom of the file:

Code:
    export PATH=${PATH}:/home/YOUR-USERNAME/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools

Reboot your PC.

ADB Is now fixed.

Check if your device is known by adb.

On your phone,go to Settings>Applications>Development and check USB debugging.

Type ./adb devices in the terminal.If you get an output like this:

Code:
    XXXXXXXXXXXX  device
    [/I]

Your phone is recognized.
    @askoabs: I suggest not to use KDZ because one of my friends used it for flashing original unbrand 2.2 and he COMPLETELY BRICKED his phone.

@holymolys: DO NOT install recovery from ROM Manager. I tried to install it and i got fastboot. I then flashed this and i got out of that malicious loop :)

@Master619: Agree with you dawg,rom manager sucks. Well,it doesn't suck but is unstable. For Windows:
    ciaox said:
    3.Install Java
    4.Install the SDK
    6.Download recovery from first post and move it to C:\SDK\tools,then rename it as recovery.img

BTW guys why aren't you thanking first post?

Just kiddin' :D

Adding this on first post(windows tut)
    Disclaimer:
    Code:
    /*  
    * Your warranty is now void.    
    */
    When you turn on your phone you see these things on your phone?
    Code:
    fastboot mode started
    udc.start()
    -- suspend --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --
    -- reser --
    -- portchange --
    Yes,we have fastboot on our phones :cool:
    But if we have fastboot,we can't let the phone boot :( so:

Fastboot ON === Can't boot phone
    Fastboot OFF === Can boot phone

How to get fastboot?

1.Install a wrong recovery
    2.Doing something wrong with ROM Manager
    3.Flashing the wrong rom

If you DO NOT want fastboot,just don't do the things i posted above.

Using fastboot we can recover our phone by flashing a recovery image like this.

I suggest to not use KDZ because this program,instead of fastboot,could TOTALLY brick your phone.

For flashing a recovery image with fastboot you'll need:

- Android SDK
    - Linux Fastboot drivers
    - AmonRa 2.2.1 Recovery

Extract android-sdk_r11-linux_x86.tgz and with the Terminal:

Code:
    $ ./android

-------------------------------------------THIS STEP EVEN FIXES ADB ON LINUX---------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
    Code:
    #Google
    #Acer
    #Dell
    #Foxconn
    #Garmin-Asus
    #HTC
    #Huawei
    #Kyocera
    #LG
    #Motorola
    #Nvidia
    #Pantech
    #Samsung
    #Sharp
    #Sony Ericsson
    #ZTE
    Then in terminal type:
    Code:
    Reboot your PC.

Code:
    HT93XKF06433    device
    [/I]
    Extract fastboot.zip,download AmonRa recovery image,rename it to recovery.img and in terminal type:

Code:
    mv /home/user/extracted_folder/fastboot  /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
    cd /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
    chmod a+x fastboot
    mv /home/user/extracted_folder/recovery.img /home/user/extracted_folder/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools
    ./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    ./fastboot reboot
    Done! :D

WINDOWS TUTORIAL VERSION:

3.Install Java
    4.Install the SDK
    6.Download AmonRa 2.2.1 Recovery and move it to C:\SDK\tools,then rename it as recovery.img
    Almost completely copied from here: http://www.androidworld.it/forum/mo...king-optimus-one-p500-tramite-fastboot-17304/

Code:
    HT93XKF06433    device
    [/I]

Cheers.