[OVERCLOCK] [3-7-2012] dagkernel 0.2 CPU/GPU Overclock up to 1.94GHz

Search This thread

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
So let me make sure I understand you right...if we get some other devs besides Da_G to work on the kernel then my antutu score will go up from 7788 to 10,124? :eek: And my battery would only drain .8% overnight instead of the 4% it drains overnight now? :eek: I am impressed, I would like to meet this new super dev and get his/her autograph! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont wanna clutter the thread with argument like responses to your sarcasm, but since you seem to be in great disbelief - I'll respond to few points you made:

1. Antutu scores is a combined measurement of many benchmarks, which include CPU, IO, memory, various graphics performance parameters etc'. Not all of these are used frequently during normal phone's operation. Therefore Antutu score may be greatly impacted by a benchmark, which in reality uses only 2% of the CPU cycles, or vise versa. Speaking from experience and coming from years of using other android phones I did see things like IO schedulers, for example, give noticeable boost to performance, which may not be visible using a benchmark tool, for the reasons I just mentioned.

2. Battery drain isn't going to be reduced by half by using a smart algorithm, such as hybrid adaptive voltage scaling (HAVS), but it might achieve results close to that, if combined with trickle charging mod, which charges your battery to a full, not fake 100%, and can keep your battery at 100% charge for nearly an hour after it's unplugged and phone being used.

If you want to get autographs from people, who made those amazing kernel mods possible - you can start with netarchy , toastcfh and some other devs from Team Win gang, who made amazing things like hardware acceleration based HDMI mirroring possible

Last edited:

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Long weekend.. working on a new build now ;)

HAVS is actually already built into the stock system. It scales according to demand from 3 separate units (the memory/bus subsystem, the GPU, and the CPU(s) )

The voltages you can set in system tuner/fauxclock/etc. only apply to the CPUs, once my app is out you'll be able to adjust GPU and L2 voltages/speeds as well.

The other governors etc. are coming shortly.. hopefully tonight ;)

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
It's a blessing to have you onboard. Just bought you a beer: 3UH01598G2087792E

Next time maybe I'll take that 1 hour drive to OC and buy you one in person

ahmarchi

Aug 20, 2008
Greensboro

HAVS is actually already built into the stock system. It scales according to demand from 3 separate units (the memory/bus subsystem, the GPU, and the CPU(s) )

The voltages you can set in system tuner/fauxclock/etc. only apply to the CPUs, once my app is out you'll be able to adjust GPU and L2 voltages/speeds as well.

I was just about to ask where you been brudda. Can't wait for a fully made kernel by you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA

Awesome work Da_G! So the new kernel will enable Voltage Control options for Antutu's CPU Master Pro?

export_01.jpg

Attachments

• export_01.jpg
    export_01.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 283

cbqfly

Jul 20, 2008
Da_g so if havs is already implemented in the stock kernel, then if we statically undervolt the cpu does that mean it won't use havs? and then would it be better to not undervolt at all or does undervolting just limit the max voltage that havs will use?

thanx

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
Da_g so if havs is already implemented in the stock kernel, then if we statically undervolt the cpu does that mean it won't use havs? and then would it be better to not undervolt at all or does undervolting just limit the max voltage that havs will use?

thanx

Great question, I was wondering the same thing what would happen if you use an app like Antutu CPU Master to force static undervolting on kernel with HAVS. There is no doubt in my mind HAVS is better than static undervolting for a number of reasons, with stability being #1, but I'm also curious to know how such conflict would be handled.

ryanbmw51

Jun 9, 2011
Winter Park, FL
Hey all, just picked up one of these beasts yesterday and flashed this kernel. I've got a kinda wierd reaction though. I'm not sure if its the kernel, or perhaps I removed an app I shouldn't have, but the phone got laggy as hell. The screen would have a hard time responding to my swipes. Another thing I did, was install adw ex as my launcher. any ideas, advice?

I restored to stock for now.

Thanks.

Are you sure you didn't mess with voltage settings and do something wrong there? Happened to me one time and started acting the same way you described yours. Anyway good luck

dumbquestion

Oct 10, 2007
Central Valley, California
So let me make sure I understand you right...if we get some other devs besides Da_G to work on the kernel then my antutu score will go up from 7788 to 10,124? :eek: And my battery would only drain .8% overnight instead of the 4% it drains overnight now? :eek: I am impressed, I would like to meet this new super dev and get his/her autograph! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol

Sent from my non-stock junk,.

s1mpd1ddy

Feb 24, 2011

That settles it. I was gonna flash but now will wait

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Willanhanyard

Feb 9, 2012
I have a question. I flashed your other rooted kernal (the non OC one), but now I want to flash this one. Can I just flash this one over the other one without resetting or anything?

Main Frame

Aug 17, 2010
Why am I so anxious waiting for this update? This is ridiculous. :p

Thanks for the work you're doing for all of us. I just jumped over from the HTC scene (Evo 4g & Evo 3D). I was a little worried about the developer scene on the Samsung side of things, but having a working root, OC kernel, etc at the time of launch is great! And now CWM is up and working, I couldn't ask for more. :cool:

tonyc0642

Aug 18, 2008
Keizer, Oregon
So color me retarded, but after I flash the kernel via odin, when I go to push the libs to the phone, adb can't see my device. I get "error: device not found"

...My apologies if this has been covered somewhere, searching didn't give me any answers.

EDIT: Nevermind, must either be a Windows issue or a driver issue (yes I have the Samsung drivers from the OP installed). Rebooted to Ubuntu and ADB is working fine there, so whatevs, it's working somewhere at least lol. Just one more reason I rarely use Windows these days. Anyone know if Hiemdall will work with the Note? Would be nice...

Last edited:

Willanhanyard

Feb 9, 2012
Can you now push over the libraries via cwm? Sorry for the noon question.

Sent from the best phone in the world Galaxy Note!!!

ducksauce88

Jan 6, 2012
Twopump edit... I www able to run the test individually....here are the results from the tests separately...all at 1.89

is there any reason why i would only be seeing 1512MHz in setcpu? I have followed all of the instructions to a T. Should I not be using setcpu?

Main Frame

Aug 17, 2010
Good question.. I switched over to AnTuTu CPU Master Pro when I got this device because it seems that's what most people are using for it. I haven't had any issues with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, this doubles as a root kernel (might as well keep the scripts in there since I already made 'em!), custom boot animations (/system/media/sanim.zip), init.d support.

Max speed is 1.94GHz. Max speed I've benchmarked stable at is 1.83GHz. Reboots at higher.. YMMV with voltage adjustments etc.

Stock speed on this kernel is 1566MHz, I have removed a lot of scaling overrides that Samsung added, so this should be a bit smoother than the stock kernel without OCing more than the slight default.

GPU is also OC'ed from 3d speed 266 -> 300 and 2d speed 200 -> 266.

I will be releasing a GUI soon with more advanced tweaking options for the kernel (it is compatible with existing tools like system tuner, fauxclock, setcpu, etc.)

Version 0.2 CWM Zip: http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2.zip
    Version 0.2 CWM Zip (with KALLSYMS + KALLSYMS_ALL for debugging) http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2-kallsyms.zip
    Version 0.2 CWM Zip (No root script, su, busybox in ramdisk) http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2-nosubusybox.zip

New stuffs:
    * BLN Support (Use BLN Control from market)
    * XZ Compression
    * CFQ Scheduler
    * New CPUFreq governors: smartassv2, lagfree
    Code:
    CWM Zip 0.1 [url=http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc.zip]Available here[/url]
    Odin Tar 0.1 [url=http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/pda-overclocked-dagkernel-v01.tar]here[/url]
    Modified libraries 0.1 [url=http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/modded-libs.tar.gz]here[/url].

Stock CWM zip (Stock Kernel and Libraries) Available here

CWM Flashing Instructions:
    CWM Install Instructions said:
    1.) Install CWM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1517134
    2.) Copy the cwm zip to your /sdcard/
    2.) Reboot into CWM either by issuing "adb reboot recovery" from command line, or loading ROM Manager app and choosing "Reboot into recovery", or by powering the device off and holding vol up+vol down and powering on.
    3.) From CWM, choose "install zip from internal sd card" then navigate to the cwm zip you copied in, select it
    4.) Select "reboot system"

Souce code available at: https://github.com/dagnarf/sgh-i717-dagkernel

Don't forget the donate link in my sig if you find this useful :)
    I never learn my lesson about providing an ETA, keep slipping! I've got BFQ, CFQ, smartassv2, etc. etc. in now, just dotting some i's and crossing some t's.. coming soon! Lowered some default voltages on the higher end of the scale (1.89+) also since some people have reported stability at lower voltages at those speeds.
    sgs kernel flasher will work if it read/writes to mmcblk0p8 (which is where the kernel lives on our device)

Here is version 0.2 CWM ZIP: http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2.zip
    New stuffs:
    * BLN Support (Use BLN Control from market)
    * XZ Compression
    * CFQ Scheduler
    * New CPUFreq governors: smartassv2, lagfree
    Updated first post with CWM zip including libs so you no longer have to push via adb/odin. Will update shortly with a return-to-stock CWM zip.