Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Search This thread

khightower

Dec 3, 2012
Hi all,

I got so fed up with this merry-go-round of uselessness from Google Play Store and became so disillusioned by this whole experience that I gave in and bought an alternative Android device.

I took a punt and went for one of the el-cheapo Chinese tablets - the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 10.1 - bought from eBuyer (can also buy it from Debenhams and BHS websites in the UK) for the princely sum of £140.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed for the money. Screen resolution is obviously inferior to the Nexus, but it's plenty good enough for general use & browsing etc (I think it's iPad 2 sort of quality). I've rooted it and it seems pretty smooth and overall I'm happy with it. The resolution might not be as good as the Nexus, but it has no light bleed whatsoever and no yellow banding/creaking/etc. It arrived quickly and was a cellophane-wrapped BRAND NEW device! :eek:) It does have one slightly confused pixel which often displays the wrong colour, but I don't notice it, and I don't care because this device didn't cost the earth so I don't expect it to be perfect.

For the sake of £140 it will give me something to tide me over for a year or so while I keep an eye on the market and see what comes out from Google & their rivals over the coming year. I'll buy something from a brick & mortar store in the UK when I see something I like without light bleed :eek:)

Worth considering?

Never buying hardware from Google Play Store again!

Good luck everybody. Hope you eventually get a tablet you're happy with!

Last edited:
Reactions: mark.m.moran

vvarwick

Nov 14, 2011
Received my first Nexus 10 from Staples.com on Tuesday. It was a R32D version. Turned it on and the light bleed was horrible in the lower right corner. Did not have to be in a dimly lit room to see it or be watching a movie. It was visible all the time. It was not a faint glow in the corner. It was almost like I could see the bulb element! It was a bright pale yellow hue about 1.5" up the side and about 1" across the bottom. (picture a pale yellow backwards "L" in the lower right corner.) The 1" across the bottom was the brightest spot. Staples exchanged it without any issue and the new one I received today is also a R32D so I was worried. BUT it has almost no light leak at all!

Just letting you know there are some really good R32Ds out there. Also both of the tablets I received from Staples.com had factory seals on both sides of the box that were not tampered with at all.

VVarwick

Reactions: mark.m.moran

mark.m.moran

Mar 2, 2010
Dublin
Received my first Nexus 10 from Staples.com on Tuesday. It was a R32D version. Turned it on and the light bleed was horrible in the lower right corner. Did not have to be in a dimly lit room to see it or be watching a movie. It was visible all the time. It was not a faint glow in the corner. It was almost like I could see the bulb element! It was a bright pale yellow hue about 1.5" up the side and about 1" across the bottom. (picture a pale yellow backwards "L" in the lower right corner.) The 1" across the bottom was the brightest spot. Staples exchanged it without any issue and the new one I received today is also a R32D so I was worried. BUT it has almost no light leak at all!

Just letting you know there are some really good R32Ds out there. Also both of the tablets I received from Staples.com had factory seals on both sides of the box that were not tampered with at all.

VVarwick

Great to see you got a good one and they do actually exist!!

ryco1008

Mar 16, 2011
Well got my 3rd 10 from Google. Seals not perfect, screen would have been great....except lower right is so bad I always see it even at 0% brightness. The back is so creaky I almost think something is broke inside. Well that makes my decision. I'm keeping my almost perfect 10 from staples. The only defect is cosmetic on the case near the speaker grill which I never see. The screen is almost perfect and no creaks anywhere and feels solid. Didn't want 32 GB version but oh well I'm sure down the road it be glad I have the extra space. Well going to get my refund started....

zmattmanz

Jun 15, 2008
Greensboro, NC
How do you like your iPad over the 10? I'm probably going to do this today. A little scared of jumping to iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

mermoid

Feb 7, 2013
How do you like your iPad over the 10? I'm probably going to do this today. A little scared of jumping to iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

The iPad is awesome. I think Android is probably a more feature-rich OS but iOS is still good and of course very smooth. It is a little bit smoother than my N10 which itself is very smooth but I dunno, the N10 feels a little more rigid (?) or something. I think the touch tracking is slightly closer to 1:1 on the iPad which makes it feel a bit silkier.

I miss a few things like the fixed nav-bar with back and recent apps buttons (especially the back button!) but the iPad has some neat features the N10 doesn't like the whole-hand gesture for closing apps and I like the default keyboard a bit more on the iPad. Screen-wise I can just about see a difference between 300ppi and 264ppi with the two tablets side-by-side but the iPad is still super sharp so it's pretty irrelevant to be honest. iPad colours are more vivid but the N10 has whiter whites. 4:3 ratio is better for web browsing but not as good for watching stuff... that said I much prefer watching videos on my iPad simply because there's no yellow discolouration in the corners. I also find the playstore a bit easier to navigate than the appstore. Battery life is way better on the iPad.

It's hard to say which is better, really. If they were the same price I'd say the iPad is probably a little better...but as they aren't I'm not too sure.
The N10 would be much better value for money than the iPad if I could have got one with decent build quality, but as it is I'm fairly content with paying £80 extra to get a device with no screen or wifi issues.

My next challenge is obtaining a return parcel for my 2nd N10 from Google, I've requested it several times over the last 2 weeks and despite repeated assurances from them that I'll get it soon, I have still received nothing...

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
Every time I turn on my iPad 3, which isn't very often since I got my N10, I'm driven crazy by the need to go through all of the icons and groups that have notification badges. On the N10, widget tell me everything I need to know at a glance.

Add in local file storage for offline doc editing, and far better app sharing capabilities, and I'm THIS close to selling the iPad. The only thing stopping me is the much better DirecTV app on the iPad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

mermoid

Feb 7, 2013
ah yes, I forgot about that - the notifications are indeed WAY better on the N10. The drop-down notification thing at the top of the home screen in iOS is useless and clearly a poorly implemented afterthought. Another thing that's annoying is that you can only add gmail accounts to the default Mail app using IMAP now which means it doesn't get push notifications. I installed the Gmail app and it does automatically notify me instantly about new emails but it's really annoying to need two separate email applications. On that topic I also really miss the notification light on the N10. I also miss the drop-down menu at the top right with quick settings for wifi and brightness and all that stuff.

also I don't really like the font that Safari seems to render all websites with, the N10 web browser font seems much more similar to what I get on my Windows PCs.

tbh the only reason I bought the iPad was because I got fed up dealing with the awful Google Play Team and couldn't be bothered going through multiple replacement units, accumulating loads of holds on my card and having to book days off work to be home for the courier to collect my returns and so forth. My original plan was to return both my N10s at the same time but they've taken so long to send a shipping bag for the 2nd one that I had no choice but to book a collection for the 1st one tomorrow or else I'll miss the 21-day return window and have my card charged for the 2nd one even though I've RMA'd it too :/

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
The iPad is awesome. I think Android is probably a more feature-rich OS but iOS is still good and of course very smooth. It is a little bit smoother than my N10 which itself is very smooth but I dunno, the N10 feels a little more rigid (?) or something. I think the touch tracking is slightly closer to 1:1 on the iPad which makes it feel a bit silkier.

I miss a few things like the fixed nav-bar with back and recent apps buttons (especially the back button!) but the iPad has some neat features the N10 doesn't like the whole-hand gesture for closing apps and I like the default keyboard a bit more on the iPad. Screen-wise I can just about see a difference between 300ppi and 264ppi with the two tablets side-by-side but the iPad is still super sharp so it's pretty irrelevant to be honest. iPad colours are more vivid but the N10 has whiter whites. 4:3 ratio is better for web browsing but not as good for watching stuff... that said I much prefer watching videos on my iPad simply because there's no yellow discolouration in the corners. I also find the playstore a bit easier to navigate than the appstore. Battery life is way better on the iPad.

It's hard to say which is better, really. If they were the same price I'd say the iPad is probably a little better...but as they aren't I'm not too sure.
The N10 would be much better value for money than the iPad if I could have got one with decent build quality, but as it is I'm fairly content with paying £80 extra to get a device with no screen or wifi issues.

My next challenge is obtaining a return parcel for my 2nd N10 from Google, I've requested it several times over the last 2 weeks and despite repeated assurances from them that I'll get it soon, I have still received nothing...

You get11 hours of battery life on the ipad? Lowest I'm getting with AOKP pub 4.2.2 and the latest trinity was 8 hours screen time with a day and a half standby and 2 hours playing vice city in addition to the other 6 hours browsing. I will say the iPad is more defect free and much better screen QC but as I've said a million times... The screen is jacked because of the chassis design. The hardware and concept care great with this device. If it was a little more heavy and rigidly made this bad boy would be the best tab on the market hands down. I will say I wish with this device size that it used a 4:3 form factor, but that's just me. I don't watch as many movies etc as I do playing and browsing etc. The iPad has a less unwieldy tablet form factor that makes better use of space not counting movie playback. Maybe I'll purchase one of those archos iPad knockoffs.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
Well I bit the bullet and got the light bleed app today. Had the N10 since Thursday, of course loving it. I see slight bleeding on both of the shorter sides at 100% brightness on black. All the other solid colors in the app are are perfect, perfectly consistant color everywhere even in the areas with bleed.

My question is: If there is light bleed does that mean there is a manufacturing issue that could rear its head down the road in 6 months or a year?

I will probably never have it like that in daily use with the exception of the end of a movie or a switch to cutscene in a game for a brief second so I can live with it but if its a defect then I will take it back.

Thanks to any who respond

Last edited:

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
I want to thank everyone who responded to my dilemma, you have all been a godsend!!! :p

On a serious note, for anyone else in my shoes I just want to say that I am keeping it, don't want to risk getting one that is worse and quite frankly I couldn't be happier with the quality of the screen, absolutely amazing. I actually have 2 nexus 7s one for my wife and one for me so I do have something else to compare it to. Not to mention my mother in law has an iPad and she is amazed at it as well. Peace

lagnis

Apr 25, 2011
The WiFi cut out constantly it made streaming a simple youtube video unbearable, websites would not load, I could not download anything and don't get me started about trying to watch a Netflix movie. Since I already had several previous ones that worked fine on my WiFi I knew it was not a software issue. If it was just a few times a day I would still have that unit.

I've experienced the same Wi-Fi issue BUT i think it relates both (1) to my internet service provider (10 MBPS Verizon DSL)...When I tether via Wi-Fi to my Nexus 4 over T-Mobile HSPA+ I am able to stream the same content that was stuttering, dropping, cutting out over the Wi-Fi... and (2) to the demands of the pixel density as I can steam OK via the DSL when I de-select the HD toggle in YouTube. What do you all think?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

You get11 hours of battery life on the ipad? Lowest I'm getting with AOKP pub 4.2.2 and the latest trinity was 8 hours screen time with a day and a half standby and 2 hours playing vice city in addition to the other 6 hours browsing. I will say the iPad is more defect free and much better screen QC but as I've said a million times... The screen is jacked because of the chassis design. The hardware and concept care great with this device. If it was a little more heavy and rigidly made this bad boy would be the best tab on the market hands down. I will say I wish with this device size that it used a 4:3 form factor, but that's just me. I don't watch as many movies etc as I do playing and browsing etc. The iPad has a less unwieldy tablet form factor that makes better use of space not counting movie playback. Maybe I'll purchase one of those archos iPad knockoffs.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Folks if it makes anyone feel better I had my mom's iPad in my hands the other day and I decided to check it for light bleed. Boy oh boy did it have light bleed. I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe there isn't an app to test this in Apple's walled garden. This is related to the display technology, an inherent flaw I think.

siraltus

Jan 26, 2010
Folks if it makes anyone feel better I had my mom's iPad in my hands the other day and I decided to check it for light bleed. Boy oh boy did it have light bleed. I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe there isn't an app to test this in Apple's walled garden. This is related to the display technology, an inherent flaw I think.

It's not even that it has light bleed, because almost every LCD has some uneven backlighting around the edges.

It's that our bleed is PISS YELLOW, so it stands out like bird **** on a black shoe.

killerapl

Mar 5, 2011
It's not even that it has light bleed, because almost every LCD has some uneven backlighting around the edges.

It's that our bleed is PISS YELLOW, so it stands out like bird **** on a black shoe.

So i was watching a movie in a dark room with the wife last night and early into the movie she says "you need to clean your screen". "The bottom left hand corner especially since it has that yellowish bright smudge" I then explained to her that its not dirty or has a smudge but it has something called light bleed. Her response "and you didn't return it and ask for a new one?!?!" SMH!!!!!

CRimsonEagle

Feb 26, 2013
Mine too...

I too have slight light bleed, and a creeky back. I returned but the replacement was even worse. Google's RMA was flawless though. They just don't send you a fixed product.....

heaiser

Jul 27, 2012
Finally! After 7 returns the play store has sent me a device with such minimal light bleed that I am happy with it. Now... time to un root my original and ship it back.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

TechGeekDK

May 7, 2012
Aarhus
in general or were you asking someone in particular?

My Nexus 10s left and right, my (very faintly visible) iPad 4 in the middle. Yes, I bought an iPad rather than go for a third Nexus 10 :(, I feel filthy and ripped off but Google customer support was driving me to despair.

aYUdyLl.jpg

Obviously the iPad brightness is dimmed to lowest brightness on the pic and the 2 nexus is cranked up in brightness which makes your comparison pretty useless.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is exactly "light bleed"?
    Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg
    nope, was full brightness on all 3
    yes, that is just how big the difference is.

the iPad has a little light bleed as well which you can see if crank up the brightness on whatever you view the picture on (bottom right and top right in particular) but the black level is just much MUCH blacker which is why the visibility is so low in the picture.

incidentally I did end up exchanging my iPad for a replacement too because it had 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel so I'm not trying to claim iPads are flawless either but when it comes to backlighting there's just no comparison

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself on the nexus 10. Its as good as it gets on a tablet form. The display on the nexus can push the same levels on blacks as the retina display.. And in many ways the nexus 10 display is better for picture quality. Now,... What makes apples new iPad seem as a better display, is simply because they are better in the assembly/connecting the display to the iPad. They managed to align it in way causing minimal stress to the display,. And that's to me where apple really shines through,.. They are consistent in their quality of making their products. Its herein 95% of all backlight bleeding occur. The backlight bleeding in the nexus 10 is NOT caused by a bad display,.. But it IS caused by BAD assembly from factory. It takes only just a little uneven pressure on the display to cause the backlight bleeding.
    And the way the nexus 10 is put together, makes it like winning the lottery to find one without backlight bleeding. That said it is possible to eliminate the backlight bleeding. I fixed my display myself, removing 98% og the backlight bleeding,. Bad news is, that its not an easy fix, because of the way the display was assembled. It takes alot of patience and fiddling, and you'll be without warranty if you break something trying to fix it.

So long story short,.. The display on the nexus 10 is flawless,... It's the way they made room for it that sucks. After taking the nexus apart I will almost guarantee that more than 90% of the complaints people make of their backlight bleeding problems, is coming form their bottom right and/or left corner, as this is where they made everything so narrow that its almost impossible not causing any stress to the lower/bottom of the display.

Now a word of advice,... If you only have backlight bleeding on highest brightness but no bleeding on the lowest brightness,.. No reason to try fix it,. You won't be able to see the backlight bleed in the daytime anyways, and in low/no light environment you should use the lowest settings on brightness for optimum picture performance anyways. And that's (to me) where the display really shines through, with its ability to render crisp details in low brightness. And actually its more the cell light you set up and down (when adjusting the brightness in android) than it is the brightness of the display.

TechGeek over and out:)

OK here are some photos. The best I could do in a dark room shooting with my Nexus 4.
    I think people just want to love this tablet so much and are trying to convince themselves that the defects aren't "that bad". Don't try to justify it, just send it back or get a refund.
    Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.