confused about USB cable

Search This thread

vj092887

Jul 25, 2008
If u have a micro usb cable then u have to put it in the opposite way. Like this

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1323320595608.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1323320595608.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 259

Sweetpea8472

Nov 15, 2011
It's a generic micro USB connection. The extra's is just that, extra. And not mandatory. I read somewhere (could be here, could be somewhere else) that they made the different connector so you wouldn't use the charger on a device that can't handle the power. But you can use any micro USB cable to connect the device to your PC. And you can even use any micro USB charger, but you'll need a lot of patience as it'll take a long, long time!

mikeypizano

Aug 18, 2008
While you can use a standard micro USB cable, I have heard it would be better to use the HTC one because it will stay in better. I have used a standard one just fine, but the HTC one does hold in better IMO.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
If u have a micro usb cable then u have to put it in the opposite way. Like this

Its both proprietary AND standard. As vj092887 said, you insert the micro-USB male plug "upside-down" from how you would on most HTC devices. And it plugs into the "bottom half" of the jack. All this is in respect to the tablet laying flat, with the screen facing up.

If you use the included charger or sync cable, it takes up the "whole" jack. Sync doesn't really make a difference. But the included charger is much faster than standard HTC Micro-USB chargers.

n7of9

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney
jeebus on a swizzle stick, only after reading this did i actually shove a standard micro usb into it and i'll be damned.....

thanks guys

Sweetpea8472

Nov 15, 2011
jeebus on a swizzle stick, only after reading this did i actually shove a standard micro usb into it and i'll be damned.....

thanks guys

Shortly after I got my Flyer, I was at work and wanted to connect it to my laptop. And realized I had left my (HTC) cable at home, sticking in my PC there. I was also kind of disappointed as I had bought the flyer specifically because you could use a micro USB cable!

So, I thought, well, why not try it and see if it fits. And as I generally always first try to stick a cable in upside down (don't ask me why, even if I think about it, I'll try it upside down first :p), I got lucky this time and found it fitted :D

mikeypizano

Aug 18, 2008
Shortly after I got my Flyer, I was at work and wanted to connect it to my laptop. And realized I had left my (HTC) cable at home, sticking in my PC there. I was also kind of disappointed as I had bought the flyer specifically because you could use a micro USB cable!

So, I thought, well, why not try it and see if it fits. And as I generally always first try to stick a cable in upside down (don't ask me why, even if I think about it, I'll try it upside down first :p), I got lucky this time and found it fitted :D

USB cables tend to go in the right way on the third try! ;)

n7of9

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney
And as I generally always first try to stick a cable in upside down (don't ask me why, even if I think about it, I'll try it upside down first :p),

i NEVER put in cables upside down (because i always put a little dot on the top side of the connector using nail polish...you can use liquid paper for a more 'manly' experience)

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Is there a source for an innexpensive extra cable? I've been using a standard micro USB and it works but feels very loose compared to the official HTC cable that came with my flyer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
If you mean with a HTC style power connector, no, that's for charging only. For data cables Ebay or Amazon has them for about $1 each.

If you mean with a HTC style power connector, no, that's for charging only. For data cables Ebay or Amazon has them for about $1 each.

I wouldnt buy those generic cables from ebay/amazon etc they are poorly made and can either break off in your device, break off the connector on the device, or short out.. I highly recommend getting either Motorola or HTC OEM cables. They cost $2 - $5 but its worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SKN5...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323629211&sr=1-1

galfert

Apr 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Does this mean that the MHL adapter with 5 pins will work (standard Micro USB), and I don't need the 12 pin MHL version (extMicro USB)?

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
I wouldnt buy those generic cables from ebay/amazon etc they are poorly made and can either break off in your device, break off the connector on the device, or short out.. I highly recommend getting either Motorola or HTC OEM cables. They cost $2 - $5 but its worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SKN5...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323629211&sr=1-1

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Although a standard micro USB connector works for me when transferring data I don't like how loose it seems in the Flyer's socket. So I want another cable just like the one that came with my Flyer, a micro ExtUSB cable. I've only found mini ExtUSB cables not micro ones, hence my request for an inexpensive cable source.

n7of9

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Although a standard micro USB connector works for me when transferring data I don't like how loose it seems in the Flyer's socket. So I want another cable just like the one that came with my Flyer, a micro ExtUSB cable. I've only found mini ExtUSB cables not micro ones, hence my request for an inexpensive cable source.

there are no inexpensive extUSB cables...i don't know where you are but try expansys or amazon in your country...they're all upwards of $20

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
There is no 3rd party source for the non-standard HTC proprietary connector.
HTC manufactured Windows Mobile and Android-based devices have a proprietary connector called HTC Micro ExtUSB (Extended USB). ExtUSB combines Micro-USB (with which it is backwards-compatible) with audio input as well as audio and video output in an 11-pin connector. The extra pins also allow for higher charging currents.

If you really want to spend on a high quality cable, here you go, the best, most expensive per foot USB micro cable in the world . For ~$25 this should keep your Flyer and small pets from bursting into flame............
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4256657&CatId=77

By the way, all the generic or other brand MHL adapters work fine with the HTC for connection to HDMI.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    off the shelf micro usb works fine.
    The proprietary style is only for charging